Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I agree and it would of taken me all night to write that lot out! Well done Ridin'!
could've cut an entire lawn in the time it took me to read it
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Yea Ferris appears to work very well, it has its niche market, ie ppl with back problems or ppl like me with a lot of rougher properties. Whereby I will be able to cut quicker than any other ZTR due to the ind susp, it will ride quickly over ruts where non susp ZTRs will bounce around and wheels leave the ground at speed.

To some extent its all about finding the ZTR that suits best for your own circumstances.

The Ferris is made by Ferris Industries, so Simplicity must buy their machines and re-badge.
I heard Simplicity Builds them for ferris

I was told they build them both in the same factory side x side That what a Simplicity dealer said. Ferris Cost more is the difference
I don't know that's what was told to me.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Took me a while to try to say it hopefully without offending anyone.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I heard Simplicity Builds them for ferris

I was told they build them both in the same factory side x side That what a Simplicity dealer said. Ferris Cost more is the difference
I don't know that's what was told to me.
1998 - Ferris revolutionised the industry
with the introduction of Independent
Suspension (I.S.) – the first ever
Independent Suspension System for
the riding mower. I.S. Independent
Suspension earned Ferris the
distinguished OEMmie award for
innovative engineering solutions.

1999- Ferris became a subsidiary of
Simplicity Manufacturing, Inc.
Throughout the next year, Simplicity
demonstrated its commitment to
the company by increasing its
workforce, completing a factory
expansion, and pouring resources
into product development.

2004- Simplicity manufacturing, along
with its subsidiaries, Ferris and
Snapper were purchased by
Briggs & Stratton Power Products
Group. To handle the continued
success additional square footage
was added to the Munnsville
manufacturing facility.

Took this from Ferris brochure.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'll just go and re-read it, just to make sure Im not offended. Catch ya's next month! ha
Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Very well stated Ridin'.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ridin, I will agree with most of what you say, but would you also agree that the brand mowers being used by the majority of LCO's in a given area could be considered to be best suited for their business?

When you say yes to this, of which I feel assured will be your answer, then it will be Hustler, Bobcat, Scag and Exmark in this area of the country. I do see a JD occasionally, along with Big Dog, Kubota, and a Husqvarna thrown into the mix, but the bigger companies run the first four listed.

What this says to me is different areas of the country have LCO's that either have better access, better dealers, or mowers that are better suited for their cutting situation.

You speak in a manner as to all the good LCO's live above the Mason-Dixon line, which is far from true, most LCO's that participate in LawnSite are very small fish in a really large ocean.

I talked with my dealer to verify what I said about some cutters putting a thousand hours a cutting season on a mower. You kind of wanted to dispute my statement by using another cutting outfit for your example.

He told me in the last 10 minutes he had two customers, one with 7 mowers, and one with 3 mowers that both averaged on each mower 750 to 1100 hrs per year. He said, "the customer with the 7 mowers trades every 2 yrs. and they come back to me with 1500 to 2200 hours on every mower he trades." Let's just round it off to 900 hrs. per each mower with 7 running, that is 6300 hrs. per year this one LCO cuts. So when saying the LCO's that participate in LawnSite (for the most part) are small fish in a large ocean is a relatively accurate statement. I forgot to mention, both these customers run Hustlers exclusively. I could probably get you their phone number if you care to tell them their Hustlers are not considered very good mowers for people in the real cutting business, and they would make more money and do a much better job with a JD or Gravely...LOL...LOL

The dealer himself said he used the 472 on his personal property and saw exactly what I had previously explained. We then talked about the baffles and mower setup concerning blades; of which I feel assured will be verified with time.

He did tell me his Gravely sales had picked up, and he had sold around a hundred, or possibly a few more this year. With that being said, he has sold 350+ Hustlers and close to the same number of Bobcats, he told me they sold 4 Bobcats Saturday.

I will say this, and it's not an arguable point with me for the fact I've operated and closely inspected the top mowers enough to make this statement. There is no mower manufactured today that is built stronger or has a cleaner designed, and there is definitely no mower that has smoother operation than the Hustler Super Z. There are mowers with equal to better cuts due to different type grasses and climate, and there are mowers that ride equally as well, with the Ferris being the only mower giving a better ride, and yes I have operated the 3100 extensively.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I will say this, and it's not an arguable point with me for the fact I've operated and closely inspected the top mowers enough to make this statement. There is no mower manufactured today that is built stronger or has a cleaner designed, and there is definitely no mower that has smoother operation than the Hustler Super Z. There are mowers with equal to better cuts due to different type grasses and climate, and there are mowers that ride equally as well, with the Ferris being the only mower giving a better ride, and yes I have operated the 3100 extensively.
Please dont take offense to this, its not my intent. I have been guilty of the same blanket type statements in the past.

Satements like this are posted as fact when its an opinion. Many would argue every single point here. I too have demoed, owned or operated almost every major brand and have my own opinions. I try to state in everyone of my reviews its opinion not fact.

Another point is Exmark owns more than half the market share in the northeast. IMO its not the best machine for this area. So one cant really argue that more of a certain machine sold in an area makes it the best.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Please dont take offense to this, its not my intent. I have been guilty of the same blanket type statements in the past.

Satements like this are posted as fact when its an opinion. Many would argue every single point here. I too have demoed, owned or operated almost every major brand and have my own opinions. I try to state in everyone of my reviews its opinion not fact.

Another point is Exmark owns more than half the market share in the northeast. IMO its not the best machine for this area. So one cant really argue that more of a certain machine sold in an area makes it the best.
I take no offense, I deal with too many attorneys to let trivial things affect me.

Speaking of Exmark, my understanding is they have the largest market share over the entire country, what percent I don't know.

We have access to excellent Scag and Exmark dealers, along with all other brands. STI is one of the larger Scag and Exmark dealers in the area, I'm including a link to let you take a look.

http://www.smithturf.com/golf/landscape-equipment-tce

http://www.turf-care.com/

What I'm getting at, these LCO's have access to any mower they care to run, and money is of no object to the LCO's that put an average of 900 hrs. on a mower per year. With this being said, when an LCO puts 1000's of hrs. on mowers each year, and can operate any mower they so choose, and you see them running Hustler mowers year-in and year-out, that must tell you something.

I would also believe if the cut quality was so bad it cost them business and money, they definitely would not be running and trading Hustler mowers every two years. I also feel assured they are running some of the 60" models as well, which tells me the cut and discharge problems are not prevalent in all grasses and climates.

A commercial cutter of this caliber will not deal with the problem Mickhippy has seen, they will not own a mower that gives them cut or discharge problems.

Question, do you believe that if an LCO putting 6000+ hrs. per year on his mowers was dealing with what you and Mick has pointed out as severe cut, but moreso discharge problems, they would actually buy the same mower again?

I am only asking for another honest answer.

I can tell you I would not own any mower the next day if I ever saw what you and Mick have shown through video and photos.

Last edited by puppypaws; 07-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I take no offense, I deal with too many attorneys to let trivial things affect me.

Speaking of Exmark, my understanding is they have the largest market share over the entire country, what percent I don't know.

We have access to excellent Scag and Exmark dealers, along with all other brands. STI is one of the larger Scag and Exmark dealers in the area, I'm including a link to let you take a look.

http://www.smithturf.com/golf/landscape-equipment-tce

http://www.turf-care.com/

What I'm getting at, these LCO's have access to any mower they care to run, and money is of no object to the LCO's that put an average of 900 hrs. on a mower per year. With this being said, when an LCO puts 1000's of hrs. on mowers each year, and can operate any mower they so choose, and you see them running Hustler mowers year-in and year-out, that must tell you something.

I would also believe if the cut quality was so bad it cost them business and money, they definitely would not be running and trading Hustler mowers every two years. I also feel assured they are running some of the 60" models as well, which tells me the cut and discharge problems are not prevalent in all grasses and climates.

A commercial cutter of this caliber will not deal with the problem Mickhippy has seen, they will not own a mower that gives them cut or discharge problems.

Question, do you believe that if an LCO putting 6000+ hrs. per year on his mowers was dealing with what you and Mick has pointed out as severe cut, but moreso discharge problems, they would actually buy the same mower again?

I am only asking for another honest answer.

I can tell you I would not own any mower the next day if I ever saw what you and Mick have shown through video and photos.
No I wouldnt think so. But again Exmark dominates here and I see all these guys struggling in wet conditions, double cutting etc. But they continue to buy Exmark....