Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #351  
Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,292
Hey Curb-
thanks for your input/insight. Very intersting to hear what other guys around the country are seeing and experiencing.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Hey Curb-
thanks for your input/insight. Very intersting to hear what other guys around the country are seeing and experiencing.
I'm just trying to show puppy that hustler mowers aren't the bees knees. They may work for him and a number of lco's that he speaks of, but in general they as a company spend too much time over engineering the durability of the machines and not enough time on refining the things that make us money, like quality of cut. Hustlers may be the fastest mowers on the market, but if I mow a lawn that takes 15 min to mow with the hustler and then have to double cut, costing me an additional 15 min, I would much rather spend 20 min on my walkers and then finish trimming a little earlier. Plus I end up with a nicer finished result.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I'm just trying to show puppy that hustler mowers aren't the bees knees. They may work for him and a number of lco's that he speaks of, but in general they as a company spend too much time over engineering the durability of the machines and not enough time on refining the things that make us money, like quality of cut. Hustlers may be the fastest mowers on the market, but if I mow a lawn that takes 15 min to mow with the hustler and then have to double cut, costing me an additional 15 min, I would much rather spend 20 min on my walkers and then finish trimming a little earlier. Plus I end up with a nicer finished result.
Check the video I just posted (Super Z Cutting With Speed) and you can watch what real grass cutting productivity looks like. I even did the calculations for you to see the difference speed makes on open area cutting. Most of you will be unable to comprehend this much grass being cut this fast, and with a clean cut when blades have not been sharpened in 65 hrs.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Puppy is the super z the fastest on the market? Has anyone tested top speed of the cheetah or DC?
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Check the video I just posted (Super Z Cutting With Speed) and you can watch what real grass cutting productivity looks like. I even did the calculations for you to see the difference speed makes on open area cutting. Most of you will be unable to comprehend this much grass being cut this fast, and with a clean cut when blades have not been sharpened in 65 hrs.
That is impressive pup, I don't doubt that your mower works for you. I have never seen that much smooth open grass and I never will around here. Too much limestone in the hillsides. Your numbers seem to line up as well, the only thing I can say is when you add contour mowing into that equation the productivity will go down some, based on you not being able to simply go back and forth. However, I have no doubt that you can still average around 6.75-7 acre/hr. The hustler leaves a great finished product on your turf, I just wish mine would do the same.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
That area in the vid would have been a great place for the comparison. Puppy did you get to cut that area with the 472? Taking off about the same?
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Puppy is the super z the fastest on the market? Has anyone tested top speed of the cheetah or DC?
I have no idea, but I can tell you there is a dealer I talked with in person and at his dealership in Kentucky, he was a dealer for Bad Boy, Hustler, Scag, and Dixie Chopper at the time when the Cheetah first came on line. He told me they raced mowers and he carried the supposedly fastest mowers on the market, and the Hustler would always outrun the others hands down.

He also made the remark they all claimed to be the fastest, with Dixie Chopper always advertising that title, and he said it was the slowest of all the four.

I honestly always believed the Cheetah was suppose to be a little faster, but when they put the two side by side the Super Z is the one that comes out fastest from the tales I've heard. I can't prove any of that one way or the other.

You will probably find this a little hard to believe, but I catch myself in many areas trying to push the steering arms forward in an attempt to get more speed. I could cut the area you see in the video much faster if the mower had the speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
That area in the vid would have been a great place for the comparison. Puppy did you get to cut that area with the 472? Taking off about the same?
Yes I did, and I'm sorry to say it looked nowhere that clean and smooth, and I was almost breaking the steering arms on the Gravely trying to get it to move faster.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I have no idea, but I can tell you there is a dealer I talked with in person and at his dealership in Kentucky, he was a dealer for Bad Boy, Hustler, Scag, and Dixie Chopper at the time when the Cheetah first came on line. He told me they raced mowers and he carried the supposedly fastest mowers on the market, and the Hustler would always outrun the others hands down.

He also made the remark they all claimed to be the fastest, with Dixie Chopper always advertising that title, and he said it was the slowest of all the four.

I honestly always believed the Cheetah was suppose to be a little faster, but when they put the two side by side the Super Z is the one that comes out fastest from the tales I've heard. I can't prove any of that one way or the other.

You will probably find this a little hard to believe, but I catch myself in many areas trying to push the steering arms forward in an attempt to get more speed. I could cut the area you see in the video much faster if the mower had the speed.



Yes I did, and I'm sorry to say it looked nowhere that clean and smooth, and I was almost breaking the steering arms on the Gravely trying to get it to move faster.
Ok. Good to know on both parts.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I will try to shed a little light on the cutting operations around where I'm at. The lco's in my town use equipment as follows.

Lco 1: 2 48" walkers
Lco 2: 2 48" walkers and a 60" cub tank
Lco 3: 1 48" walker and 60" pre hyper super z
Myself: 2 48" walkers and 2010 66" super z

You can see a trend I'm sure. There are two dealers in my town, a hustler dealer and a husky dealer. Both are great guys to work with. One doubles as a tire and auto shop and the other works out of a car dealership.

Here is what I have determined about my area. If you go 30 miles north to Wichita you won't find a hustler on a trailer unless they are fly by night people who don't pay taxes. Wichita and the suburbs are dominated by walkers and as I have recently learned standers are picking up very quickly.

If you travel east 30 miles you will find one guy with a walker and two ferris' (I used to work for him) and one with all John Deere equipment. There is also one who runs two exmark 60" lazers.

Hustler dominates sales in the homeowner department around here along with grasshopper. I see more farmers/ranchers running grasshoppers than anything else.
With that being said its pretty obvious that hustler is frowned upon in the commercial cutting scene. The only reason I own one is because it came with the business I purchased earlier this year. That being said, the sooner I can get rid of that damn thing the better. It has been a great machine from a reliability standpoint, but I've never seen anything cut so poorly in dry grass. Supposedly the hustler shines in southern grasses? I cut mainly Bermuda and native pasture grass with it and it doesn't cut worth a damn.

The local municipalities have hustler fleets and the only reason I can see for this is hustlers are a more affordable mower, or at least they used to be.

They are tough, but I can honestly say that they are in no way tougher than any of the other machines I have operated. Those being in order, a John Deere 72" 797. Two diesel grasshoppers, I forget the numbers. 3 different walkers both side discharge and ghs, a ferris 3100 and 2000, and finally the super z. I have only been in this industry for 6 years, but I have enough experience during that time to make an honest statement. There is nothing more special about the super z than what any other mower can offer.
So, after looking at the video and numbers which don't lie, which mower that you named above is capable of doing what you saw with your own eyes, which one would you believe could even come reasonably close?
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
So, after looking at the video and numbers which don't lie, which mower that you named above is capable of doing what you saw with your own eyes, which one would you believe could even come reasonably close?
In my opinion none could do what you showed in the video, on your property. I have no problem saying that. Also in my opinion the one that would come the closest both in speed and quality of cut is the ferris 3100 followed in a close second by the Deere 797. The Deere excels in the the cut department over the ferris, but lacks in the speed/comfort department. The ferris has an acceptable cut and faster more comfortable ride allowing it to surpass the Deere in my mind.

With that being said, none of the stuff I have ever cut or ever will cut has looked like your property. If I still had access to the ferris and had the extra cash I would ship you and your machine up to a property of our mutual approval and kindly hand your ass to you. This is meant in a light hearted, joking manner, I'm on my phone so I don't have access to any of the smiley things. But in all seriousness, unless a property looks like yours the super z is a waste of money for the vast majority of people who cut for a living. The speed simply cannot be utilized.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.08486 seconds with 8 queries