Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
I live in a small Community and most lawns/yards around here are predominantly Bahia with some Bermuda and quite a bit of Dallis grass. I cut our church property and have cut our community center a time or two and they have a few areas of Zoysia and St Augustine (at the Church) grasses.

But the majority of my customers have mostly Bahia. As you know, when it gets hot and dry it is hard to cut clean in one pass. I bought a Lastec in 2007 and it did great on everything but the dryer Bahia (although it does an acceptable job on it with the 3" wide Oregon Super high lift blades).

After demo'ing an EverRide Warrior in 2009 in Bahia and seeing how well it cut it, I bought a Gravely Pro Ride (same as EverRide Warrior) in 2011. I am still surprised at how well it cuts Bahia, compared to some of the other ZT's around here. (Exmark 52 and 60", Gravely Pro Turn 152 and 260 Z, Bad Boy AOS 72", Bad Boy Lightning 60", Great Dane Chariot 52", Bush Hog 54" Grasshopper 60", JD 920 54" and a few Cub Cadet "tanks". I know a guy that bought a Hustler Super Z last year and another friend that bought a Dixie Chopper 60" (not sure what model) last year, I have been told to try them at any time but have not made any arrangements yet to do so.

I even tried out a Scag Wildcat 26 hp (old rating) and 60" Velocity plus deck on weekend last year along with my Gravely Pro Ride on some of my accounts. It was in the middle of our drought and heat wave last Summer and the Bahia was very tough by then. I used both mowers on 5 Properties that day and in the greener Bahia, the Scag would cut nearly as clean as the Pro Ride, but in the tougher Bahia it would leave quite a few stragglers whereas the Pro Ride would only leave one occasionally.

I'm not saying that it is the best all around mower or anything, just making the point that for my particular applications it does the best job that I have found so far.

That actually makes perfect sense. That tunnel deck with its huge opening can process a ton of grass where as a standard deck would get clogged up. I bet puppy would get good results from the pro ride but I don't think it would go fast enough for him. It is rated at 13mph and the biggest version is only a 66" deck.

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-tu...s/default.aspx
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Puppy, where those conditions that you just spoke about normal cutting conditions? Manicured lawn?

The reason I ask is you stated you had about 1.2 acres left to mow and it took you 14 minutes. Multiply both of these by 4 to get acres per hr and I come up with 4.8 acres in 56 minutes. I think with the extra 4 minutes you could cut .2 acres easily, bringing you up to around 5 acres per hour. This cutting speed is much easier for me to believe. Considering I can mow around 3.4 acres in an hour on my 66" super z.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because you stated in the post where you did the calculations that your end number was around 7.5 acres per hour if I remember correctly. My point is, your calculations were correct, but in real world mowing where you aren't just making 4 passes and then running numbers the production of these machines isn't what everyone thinks it is.

Now, that is still a lot of grass mowed in an hour, but I'm a firm believer that if you mowed your entire property in one event you would be averaging somewhere in the 4.5-5.5 acres per hour.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at here. I'm not trying to say that you can't mow a helluva lotta grass real fast, I just think after all I have read that you feel like you are cutting more grass than you really are in a given amount of time.

Last edited by CurbAppealKS; 07-24-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
That actually makes perfect sense. That tunnel deck with its huge opening can process a ton of grass where as a standard deck would get clogged up. I bet puppy would get good results from the pro ride but I don't think it would go fast enough for him. It is rated at 13mph and the biggest version is only a 66" deck.

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-tu...s/default.aspx
Puppypaws had a Gravely Pro Ride 260 lined up to demo along with the Gravely 472 but the Dealer sold the Pro-Ride before PP got to start the demo.

I'm still hoping that the Gravely Rep or his dealer might could find another (demo mower) Pro Ride for him to try out. I know it won't go fast enough or ride smooth enough for him but I'm more curious to see how it would cut his areas.

One slight misconception about the Pro Ride Tunnel deck with some people is; that whatever the length of the grass you are cutting off is the length that it comes out of the discharge chute. That is usually only true with tall, tough Bahia and sometimes tough Dallisgrass stems. It will usually cut up the grass blades pretty well, not as fine as a tight front baffle deck but well enough to not be noticeable on weekly cut normal growth turf grasses.

At least if I have to double cut (which I normally don't have to do) with the Pro Ride it will only be to cut up any long clippings...stems and not to have to go back over it to cut the stragglers that it left on the first cut like some of the brands have to do on this Dry Bahia.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Razor-
your machine must ride pretty well with the suspension seat I would think?

I think a lot of people overlook that deck you have just because it is different from the norm. I know full well how good a large tunnell deck can cut since I have ran more of them than flat topped decks as you and I have discussed in the past. You are also correct about the clippings too. IME they don't come out much longer than those from the VX4 or V+ do. The clippings still have to pass by the other fast spinning blades to make exit and they get cut again when they do. For tough stemmy weeds and grasses they are hard to beat.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't ride bad with the suspension seat and the pivoting front axle, but I just know that a longer wheelbase mower that has flex forks and and suspension seat also, will ride better, which is what PP s is used to.

The Pro Ride is fast enough for me for the proerties that I cut. I seldom get to run full stick, as they say because most of the properties that are big enough are too rough to go full speed.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Puppy, where those conditions that you just spoke about normal cutting conditions? Manicured lawn?

The reason I ask is you stated you had about 1.2 acres left to mow and it took you 14 minutes. Multiply both of these by 4 to get acres per hr and I come up with 4.8 acres in 56 minutes. I think with the extra 4 minutes you could cut .2 acres easily, bringing you up to around 5 acres per hour. This cutting speed is much easier for me to believe. Considering I can mow around 3.4 acres in an hour on my 66" super z.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because you stated in the post where you did the calculations that your end number was around 7.5 acres per hour if I remember correctly. My point is, your calculations were correct, but in real world mowing where you aren't just making 4 passes and then running numbers the production of these machines isn't what everyone thinks it is.

Now, that is still a lot of grass mowed in an hour, but I'm a firm believer that if you mowed your entire property in one event you would be averaging somewhere in the 4.5-5.5 acres per hour.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at here. I'm not trying to say that you can't mow a helluva lotta grass real fast, I just think after all I have read that you feel like you are cutting more grass than you really are in a given amount of time.
Do you honestly believe this in not something I'm fully aware of? I was only showing what the mower is capable of in a perfect cutting scenario, for instance what a cutter could do if mowing a football field, or any other really large area where the only efficiency lost would be in turning around. I actually turned around much slower in the video than I normally do, and that is for the fact of the ground being so soft from record breaking rainfall.

I mow 3/4 of a mile on both sides of a paved road (good example), for an average width of approximately 20'. I can mow half of this grass at full speed on each side, and half at about 4 mph due to trimming out the road ditches. This means I can mow the entire amount of grass for the full 3/4 of a mile faster than it can be mowed with a slower machine. The straight runs have given me the advantage of being so far ahead of the slower machine, that when we both get to the point where neither of us can mow at a speed faster than 4 mph while trimming out the ditches, I will be finished long before the slower machine, this is known as higher productivity.

Do you understand and agree? I figured out quite some time ago, when mowing, trimming around 20 obstacles will definitely take more time than trimming around 10 obstacles.

I hope and pray you did not believe I was trying to make anyone think I could mow the calculated amount I showed cutting per hour at all times.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Do you honestly believe this in not something I'm fully aware of? I was only showing what the mower is capable of in a perfect cutting scenario, for instance what a cutter could do if mowing a football field, or any other really large area where the only efficiency lost would be in turning around. I actually turned around much slower in the video than I normally do, and that is for the fact of the ground being so soft from record breaking rainfall.

I mow 3/4 of a mile on both sides of a paved road (good example), for an average width of approximately 20'. I can mow half of this grass at full speed on each side, and half at about 4 mph due to trimming out the road ditches. This means I can mow the entire amount of grass for the full 3/4 of a mile faster than it can be mowed with a slower machine. The straight runs have given me the advantage of being so far ahead of the slower machine, that when we both get to the point where neither of us can mow at a speed faster than 4 mph while trimming out the ditches, I will be finished long before the slower machine, this is known as higher productivity.

Do you understand and agree? I figured out quite some time ago, when mowing, trimming around 20 obstacles will definitely take more time than trimming around 10 obstacles.

I hope and pray you did not believe I was trying to make anyone think I could mow the calculated amount I showed cutting per hour at all times.
I was in no way trying to imply you are ignorant. That was my mistake thinking that you were saying you could mow that fast all the time.

The point you bring up about the roadside makes perfect sense. And I agree that no mower will keep up with a super z in that scenario. I will say in my defense that you weren't completely clear when you first posted those calculations and this led to my previous post.

As far as you "making everyone think that you can mow that fast all the time " I will honestly say that myself and I'm sure many others will agree that this is how it comes across while reading many of your posts.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I was in no way trying to imply you are ignorant. That was my mistake thinking that you were saying you could mow that fast all the time.

The point you bring up about the roadside makes perfect sense. And I agree that no mower will keep up with a super z in that scenario. I will say in my defense that you weren't completely clear when you first posted those calculations and this led to my previous post.

As far as you "making everyone think that you can mow that fast all the time " I will honestly say that myself and I'm sure many others will agree that this is how it comes across while reading many of your posts.
I am sorry if that is the way it appeared, but definitely was not my intention, hopefully you can explain this so everyone understands.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I am sorry if that is the way it appeared, but definitely was not my intention, hopefully you can explain this so everyone understands.
No need, I think they can grasp everything from what has been said.

So end of the everlasting debate?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Threw on a set of exmark blades tonight and did a quick run around the lot. The difference is night and day. The grass shoots out well over two passes and it cleans pavement just like the 60 does. I didn't use spacers so the blades are sitting 1/4 inch higher in the deck but cut quality seems great still and that's with the baffles on lower than the cutting edge. I plan to remove them completely though before they get caught on something and bend