Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking forwards to your results and further experimenting with these blades. There's def a big difference in the lift!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I'm hoping it does well without using a spacer since that will simplify blade changes when I'm not the one doing them. Since the difference is so small and the front baffles are probably coming off when I hand it over to employees (they would most definitely get bent on a tree root or rock because someone didn't want to lift the deck, or caught on the trailer gate when backing off without raising the deck into transport) I think the extra 1/4 inch or so will tone down frontal blowout.
I'll try it with the baffles all the way up first in case the taller sail and height difference allow it to perform well - I think there's a real chance of getting enough air flow in the front channel now. The only thing I want to keep an eye on is the discharge baffle since the sail passes pretty close under it like on our 60. The 60 actually bent the baffle right above the sail from all of the wet, heavy grass constantly barraging it this year. It was bent by the end of week 1. I can definitely weld up a reinforcement but these notched foil blades are easier to bend than solid foil and my concern is the discharge blade always winding up with a slight bend and screwing up the cut. Hopefully no issues will arise and we can keep this fix simple.

I ordered a set of isolators from the 400 series yesterday too - this 272 frame is already set up to fit them although I may have to drill new holes in the seat weldment. Looking forward to a better ride.

Here are a couple pics of the two blades side by side. You can see that the exmark blades are 1/2 inch wider which adds something like .027 inches to the distance from center to leading edge - it fits and adds incrementally to blade overlap and blade strength. The 850 kawi does notice this difference and I'm sure our 1.2-1.3gph fuel use average is about to go up. If things ever dry out here I think the stock blades will be more than capable and will save some power and fuel. Meanwhile we'll have at it with these
Wow! What a difference. I look foward to your results.

Also since your 272 has the 400 series frame which isolators are missing? All, foot, seat, or engine?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just the ones under the seat. The foot platform definitely has them and I assume the engine does too but I haven't looked for them.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will be picking up a 460 Tuesday evening for an all day demo Wednesday and Thursday. I will be sure to let you gentleman know how it goes. Any set up tips?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&L Landscaping View Post
I will be picking up a 460 Tuesday evening for an all day demo Wednesday and Thursday. I will be sure to let you gentleman know how it goes. Any set up tips?
Nice! I like the ride best with the air seat aired up 1-2". Its going to depend on personal preference and your weight. Baffles will come in all the way up position. You will get more lift as you lower them. A good all around position is 1" down but again it will depend on your conditions. In really wet thick grass I like the baffles off which gives you a nice fan shaped discharge and less build up under the deck. I like 12 psi in the rear tires. These tips should give you the great ride, hillside ability and cut quality I get as it seems we are mowing similar grasses in mountainous terrain.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Nice! I like the ride best with the air seat aired up 1-2". Its going to depend on personal preference and your weight. Baffles will come in all the way up position. You will get more lift as you lower them. A good all around position is 1" down but again it will depend on your conditions. In really wet thick grass I like the baffles off which gives you a nice fan shaped discharge and less build up under the deck. I like 12 psi in the rear tires. These tips should give you the great ride, hillside ability and cut quality I get as it seems we are mowing similar grasses in mountainous terrain.
Outstanding! Thanks for the knowledge my friend, I really do appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't have time to level the deck, though, just leave the tires at the stock pressure so you can see how well the deck does first and then lower pressures to get a feel for the ride
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just cleaned out the deck (holy soaking wet crabgrass this morning batman! We finished up already for the week at our 7 big lawns this morning) and sharpened the blades (its been 50 hours with out sharpening) and I also lowered the baffles all the way to try that setting out next week. I have not had them all the way down yet so lets see how that goes!
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, these blades with baffles installed generate a super crisp, carpet quality cut even up at 4-5 inches but the discharge velocity is so strong up front that the low pressure area UNDER the front lip of the baffle is directing a small stream of clippings (maybe 15%) at downward angle and laying them right in the tire track of the previous pass.

Removing the baffles stops this but the clippings come out larger. Hopefully there will be a position that works with the baffle - even if we have to weld on an extension so the outer edge of the baffle lip matches the one on the pro stance deck.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Well, these blades with baffles installed generate a super crisp, carpet quality cut even up at 4-5 inches but the discharge velocity is so strong up front that the low pressure area UNDER the front lip of the baffle is directing a small stream of clippings (maybe 15%) at downward angle and laying them right in the tire track of the previous pass.

Removing the baffles stops this but the clippings come out larger. Hopefully there will be a position that works with the baffle - even if we have to weld on an extension so the outer edge of the baffle lip matches the one on the pro stance deck.
This is all great info, and I appreciate you taking the time to keep us updated on how it's going. This is with no spacer, is that right? I wonder if having the cutting edge back down that 1/4" would make a difference? We all know that even minor changes can make huge differences in performance with a Z's deck. Maybe the cutting edge back down closer to the bottom of the skirting would make a difference, but I understand your reasoning for not wanting to do it all the time. If you get the chance to experiment with that though, I'd sure be interested in hearing the results.