Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Well, these blades with baffles installed generate a super crisp, carpet quality cut even up at 4-5 inches but the discharge velocity is so strong up front that the low pressure area UNDER the front lip of the baffle is directing a small stream of clippings (maybe 15%) at downward angle and laying them right in the tire track of the previous pass.

Removing the baffles stops this but the clippings come out larger. Hopefully there will be a position that works with the baffle - even if we have to weld on an extension so the outer edge of the baffle lip matches the one on the pro stance deck.
Good news! Sounds like your on the right track. Hope you can find a good baffle position. Or maybe mid lifts would do the trick?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just mounted the 400 isolators under the michigan seat on our 272 and the difference is night and day in the back-slap department.

Pupster was pretty enamored of hustler's flex-seat back in the day and these are nicer and only half the price of the old hustler option.

http://wwww.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=188403
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Just mounted the 400 isolators under the michigan seat on our 272 and the difference is night and day in the back-slap department.

Pupster was pretty enamored of hustler's flex-seat back in the day and these are nicer and only half the price of the old hustler option.

Thats great!! With the air seat, other isolators, and soft no flat front tires the ride cant be beat IMO.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Don't forget, I've been on the best Gravely has to offer, which will ride better than your smaller mower, and with the 472 sitting beside my 1600 lb Super Z without the flex seat, I would get on the Super Z every time, where a choice is to be made.

The Super Z with it's longer wheel base and additional weight rides better, pure and simple, and I will not be forced to sit in the seat nearly as long to finish the same amount work, which in itself makes a tremendous difference.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Don't forget, I've been on the best Gravely has to offer, which will ride better than your smaller mower, and with the 472 sitting beside my 1600 lb Super Z without the flex seat, I would get on the Super Z every time, where a choice is to be made.

The Super Z with it's longer wheel base and additional weight rides better, pure and simple, and I will not be forced to sit in the seat nearly as long to finish the same amount work, which in itself makes a tremendous difference.
Puppy I know you wouldn't change the baffles on the 472 from how they were adjusted upon delivery from the factory. Did you make any adjustments to the air ride seat to see if you could find better comfort or did you leave it how the unit was dropped off ?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
Puppy I know you wouldn't change the baffles on the 472 from how they were adjusted upon delivery from the factory. Did you make any adjustments to the air ride seat to see if you could find better comfort or did you leave it how the unit was dropped off ?
I adjusted the air ride seat to different pressures and found out it rode best for me with very little air pumped into it's suspension, maybe raising the seat possibly 1 1/2". The air ride seat is nice, but I honestly could tell very little difference between it and my mechanical suspension Michigan seat.
I think I was actually expecting a more cushioned ride, possibly as you would feel if sitting on a really deep foam cushion, when in reality I did not honestly feel as if I was riding on an air filled suspension, it was somewhat less forgiving than what I was expecting.

The difference in the Super Z riding better comes mainly from the longer wheel base, difference in front tires, and heavier weight.

There is a considerable difference in the run-flats of both mowers, with those on the Super Z being of a softer composition. The Gravely run-flats have zero memory, meaning the rubber is of such hard composition there are no flat spots, the mowers front tires roll perfectly round on the first revolution, whereas with the softer, more shock absorbing run-flats on the Super Z, you may drive the mower 25' before the tires move back into their round position.

These are small details I pay very close attention to, and I could feel the shock move through the tires and shorter wheel base of the Gravely giving it more of a quick jar feel from the front end.

I would say with flex forks and the softer run-flats on the Gravely; the ride from both mowers would be much closer.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I also like my air seat inflated 1-2" best, but I find it much much better than the michigan suspn seats I have always had. The rougher the terrain the more the Gravely excells. I mow some rough stuff here in NH. Most every mower has deck bounce but my Gravely rarely does. On another note my 2012 452 has the soft no flats that seem to not be on the 2013 400 series.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I also like my air seat inflated 1-2" best, but I find it much much better than the michigan suspn seats I have always had. The rougher the terrain the more the Gravely excells. I mow some rough stuff here in NH. Most every mower has deck bounce but my Gravely rarely does. On another note my 2012 452 has the soft no flats that seem to not be on the 2013 400 series.
Believe me, the harder run-flats on the new Gravely gives an entirely different ride that what you experience. The air ride seat can't remove that front-end jar. There is also a great deal of difference when hitting a rough spot at 12 mph versus 14 mph, believe me I know.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post

Mine have not softened up so apparently they did change the tires used which is a shame. I wonder if Mary could somehow get me the softer tires?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its really to bad. To many people complained about flat spots I bet. The soft no flats add an 1" or so of cushioned suspension in the front end. I can see how without them it would drastically change the ride.