Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8tor38 View Post
I got the call friday that my new hydros were in to replace the ones recalled on my 5 hour 472 and that I could drop the mower off to them any time, so I will take it in Monday. I went to mow the yard this evening and my right hydro locked up and I almost hit the wifes car, not good. Can anyone tell me if there is a release to free the hydros when not under power so I can load the thing up. Thanks
Wow that sucks, but glad to here it's getting taken care of. Most mowers have some type of lever on the hydro unit to put them in a neutral state. Check your owners manual, look for something like transport mode or something like that in the manual..

Look at 12 in this link. I think this might help if not I think you could always take the drive belt off & should roll that is unless something is just really messed up in there..

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/5400_BLN-0014_P2.pdf

Last edited by weaver; 09-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Weaver, I will look that up. Yeah my dealer called me the week I took delivery of the unit and told me they were recalled. Friday he left me a message and told me the replacements were in and to drop it off when I could but I didn't realize how bad it actually was until the right hydro lock up right next to the wifes Volvo XC90tonight, and there it sits. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I got the call friday that my new hydros were in to replace the ones recalled on my 5 hour 472 and that I could drop the mower off to them any time, so I will take it in Monday. I went to mow the yard this evening and my right hydro locked up and I almost hit the wifes car, not good. Can anyone tell me if there is a release to free the hydros when not under power so I can load the thing up. Thanks
Watch this and you'll see how-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQIk4HhTmVU
Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks Weaver, I will look that up. Yeah my dealer called me the week I took delivery of the unit and told me they were recalled. Friday he left me a message and told me the replacements were in and to drop it off when I could but I didn't realize how bad it actually was until the right hydro lock up right next to the wifes Volvo XC90tonight, and there it sits. Thanks for the info.
Ya they'll get you taking care of. As far as I know you're the only Gravely guy that got a recall & there were several on here that bought theirs around the same time as you.. I saw some Bad Boys got recalled though...
Old 09-29-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Towards the front of the pumps under mower on inside there is a nut to loosen to release it into neutral. It think it is an allen head but I cant member.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Towards the front of the pumps under mower on inside there is a nut to loosen to release it into neutral. It think it is an allen head but I cant member.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Dog, the release is actually a flat screw driver slot , however due to the severe damage this caused internally the hydro is seized and won't move. I suggest that if anyone has the recalled hydros that you park it until you get the parts or your dealer can to fix it.
The hydro oil leaked all over the lower painted parts so I will be interested to see if it destroys the paint. This is my personal mower and I purchased it because my old mowers paint was peeling off so I decided to put the money out and get one that would last. I won't be happy if the paint is damaged with only 5 hours on the unit. I love my 472 and want it looking good for years to come. Thanks for all of the help guys.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks Dog, the release is actually a flat screw driver slot , however due to the severe damage this caused internally the hydro is seized and won't move. I suggest that if anyone has the recalled hydros that you park it until you get the parts or your dealer can to fix it.
The hydro oil leaked all over the lower painted parts so I will be interested to see if it destroys the paint. This is my personal mower and I purchased it because my old mowers paint was peeling off so I decided to put the money out and get one that would last. I won't be happy if the paint is damaged with only 5 hours on the unit. I love my 472 and want it looking good for years to come. Thanks for all of the help guys.
Back your trailer right up to the mower and use a winch or come along to drag it up on the trailer..
Old 09-29-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
The hydro oil is regular 20W-50 so it shouldnt hurt your paint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The oil want affect the paint, just aggravating to get clean. You can take ether and spray the oily parts enough to accomplish runoff which removes the oil. I keep a case of spray starting fluid (ether) on hand at all times, I've used this for years on anything with grease or oil, it will break the oil down and move it off the intended target, it then dries almost instantly with no damage to paint.

You can lay a piece of cardboard underneath the mower, then take ether and spray until you see the oil moving off the mower and onto the cardboard. You will need more than one can, and depending on the amount of oil, you may need several. The liquid composition of the ether will allow it to run into cracks and crevices and remove the oil better than other cleaners that are more harsh to paint.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I see a much nicer, wider rear track on the hustler - that really helps with scalping and terracing and makes the stripes look nicer.

The lower rops height on the gravely is a huge help for most jobs.
I do like the lower ROPS height on the Gravely as well. Its well below your head height, less of a chance to snag tree limbs on the thing.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13