Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
puppy-
can you use a level and check the tire height for me on the rear of both machines? The Gravely's look to be noticeably taller the the ones on the Hustler in your side by side pics. Also, did you check the PSI in the Gravely's? It's all too common for them to come from a dealer set way to high from/for shipping purposes.
The Gravely's tires are 2" taller, my dealer and his people are a step ahead of most. The gentleman that delivered the mower told me he set the tire pressure at 14 lbs.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You hear people talk about how clean their decks stay, well to give folks an idea of how bad conditions truly are for mowing in my area right now, this is a shot under the 472's deck with only 2.1 hrs on the mower.

This is a new slick deck, so this will show I cut in some very bad situations at times myself, and wet is what causes the most problems.

When you see this on a new deck, and hear people say they don't have buildup underneath their decks, there is only one reason, they are not cutting in situations that promote what is seen in this photo.

I honestly had no idea you could see a deck build up that quickly, but it also shows what I'm talking about with how different signal grass can be. The guy's in Australia can relate to this, it is their grass causing this problem.

As "Realsloww" says, it's not always easy cutting in the berry patch. I cut a large amount of grass, and in all type situations for my area.

I have a mapping program I use, and I really did not know how much grass I was cutting per week. I used the mapping program a couple of nights ago to calculate the acreage, and found out I'm cutting over 16 ac per week, and this has been on a 5 to 6 day rotation, until the rain decided it would not go away.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wet conditions will make things bad no matter where you live, or what kind of grass you cut, no doubt about that. The limp northern grasses are even worse when wet though. They can just turn to goo with the wrong blade or pitch etc, and goose rass or crabgrass stay loaded with water all the time. Goosegrass is the worst thing I've ever cut. I've cut that in bone dry conditions outside, yet still had a spray coming out of the chute when cutting that stuff.

puppy, try taking those front baffles completely out. It should at the very least improve the QOC and reduce the build up unerneath. I also believe that a higher lift blade would produce more airflow and get the clippings out before they get beaten to a pulp under the deck and stick to it like that.
I checked Oregon's site, and your SZ blades are not interchangeable with the Gravely's (The Gravely's have the same center hole, but are longer. Not sure how much difference there is in the center hump that the Gravely's have vs the SZ blades). Too bad. You could have tried your higher lift SZ blades to make a comparison.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That I could see as being a good idea, and it would help keep the Z up on higher/dryer ground where there'd be less chance of sliding into the water, or sinking in where it is extra soft.
These Z's would not be for your average LCO, I get stuck and have got to be real careful about where I go on some jobs and the guy who cuts the other common area at the rest area with me was stuck on his Super Z last week and had me try and pull him out and we both got stuck where as if he would of had a duel wheel Z he could get the work done but he can't so it makes a tremendous amount of weedeat work for him because the mower sinks in the mud when it rains.

He is always getting stuck, he wants this setup worse than me.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You hear people talk about how clean their decks stay, well to give folks an idea of how bad conditions truly are for mowing in my area right now, this is a shot under the 472's deck with only 2.1 hrs on the mower.

This is a new slick deck, so this will show I cut in some very bad situations at times myself, and wet is what causes the most problems.

When you see this on a new deck, and hear people say they don't have buildup underneath their decks, there is only one reason, they are not cutting in situations that promote what is seen in this photo.

I honestly had no idea you could see a deck build up that quickly, but it also shows what I'm talking about with how different signal grass can be. The guy's in Australia can relate to this, it is their grass causing this problem.

As "Realsloww" says, it's not always easy cutting in the berry patch. I cut a large amount of grass, and in all type situations for my area.

I have a mapping program I use, and I really did not know how much grass I was cutting per week. I used the mapping program a couple of nights ago to calculate the acreage, and found out I'm cutting over 16 ac per week, and this has been on a 5 to 6 day rotation, until the rain decided it would not go away.
Yup, Ive had so much build up above the baffles you cant even see them. I take them out when its wet like that. Then the deck self cleans pretty well.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
This is all well and fine for speculating over, but all the Z's made today have extremely good hydro's in them for high hour lawn care. What you keep posting about is not lawn care at all, and therefore you should be looking in a totally different direction for what you want.

Pulling two towable mowers? That isn't lawn care at all. It is field and/or ditch mowing at best, and is a totally different game and discussion, and there are better heavier duty machines for that purpose.

Instead of keeping on posting about what you'd like to see, why don't you spend the money and make it, and I mean the entire machine from front to back? Then you could sell the idea/design to whomever you choose and be set for life.
It may take a while for him to save up his pocket money for this
Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Yup, Ive had so much build up above the baffles you cant even see them. I take them out when its wet like that. Then the deck self cleans pretty well.
I haven't look that closely at the baffle, what does it take to remove it?
I don't want to get too involved with it not being my mower.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I haven't look that closely at the baffle, what does it take to remove it?
I don't want to get too involved with it not being my mower.
Just remove the nuts from the carriage bolts that hold it on/allow adjustment and remove the baffles.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The machine is designed and built extremely well. I really love the air ride seat, I like the simple clean look, I like the way it seems you can access everything very easily.

This is only a matter of personal preference, but I do not care for the external park brake, and this is due to the fact you are force to make more movement to accomplish locking the mower in position. With the Hustler once you put the steering levers into their set position the brake is locked. This is honestly a very nice feature, no thinking involved, get onto the mower, start the engine and drive off. With the Gravely you start the engine, find the hand-lever for the park brake, lower it, then move your hands back onto the steering lever to drive away. Not that big a deal, but believe me once a person uses the integrated brake system Hustler utilizes, it would be very aggravating to go back to the external brake.

The 472 weighs 1433 lbs, whereas the Super Z weighs 1600 lbs, this is a difference of 167 lbs many may not want, but this is also one of the factors that keeps the mower from moving as much when hitting small undulations, which in return makes for a more desirable ride.

The Super Z is 5" longer than the 472, and the exact same 5" shows up (I measured) between the tires. By the Super Z having a longer wheel base, this also adds to a better ride.

I would have thought the foot pan on the 472 may possibly have been higher, as well as the seat being somewhat higher. I measured, and the foot pan on both mowers is 15" from the concrete I was measuring from, and the seats were both close to 32" above the concrete level.

After measuring and finding out the operator is sitting the same off ground level tells me this makes no difference as to how much grass comes back onto the operator. I love the fact the Gravely keeps you much cleaner than the Hustler when mowing, and I believe this is totally due to deck design.

I am also thinking if the X-Factor deck had my Fusion blades it may very well help the cut somewhat, no proof, just my thoughts.

The Gravely is no where inferior in built to any mower of the same class. I could back into a tree or solid object hard enough to bend the back metal guard on the Hustler if traveling fast enough. The lazer cutting of the name in the rear guard of the Hustler has weakened the strength of what the metal was originally designed for.

The Gravely would make you kill yourself in an attempt to bend the rear guard, the pattern of lazer cut did not take away from the strength of the metal as was done with the Hustler. There is also a strapped addition around the top and near bottom of the rear guard on the Gravely, that looks twice as thick as the metal on the full rear plate of either mower.

Think of more things to check please let me know, I'm going to mow, it looks like it could rain any minute.
I agree with you on the parking brake feature, its one less thing to do which is so important in our line of work, always getting off the machine to move sticks etc! There are a few other manus that use the same brake system as hustler, so Im not sure why gravely hasn't adopted it & the rest, I reckon they will in time if able!

The Gravely is a very solid looking ZTR, I have no idea what realsloww is talking about!

I must say its a little disappointing to hear the air ride seat is not giving you a better ride then your mechanical seat & FFs. I personally have had no noticeable improvement in ride quality from the FFs on hustlers, I've compared with rigid & also had a completely new set of FFs so they simply don't make any difference in my conditions. Anyhow I reckon Gravely might benefit from some FFs as an option for ppl who might want them!

Its also a shame you don't have the luxury of dry conditions to cut that signal grass, I would be really interested to see how it would cut that grass, without the baffles and with the HLs as the others suggest. I don't mean to be negative but I think even with those things, the deck will stick give some clumping, I strongly believe its due to the narrow chute opening & the ability for the grass the "build or gather" on the rear edge of that chute design.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Adjust the baffles or take them right off for wet conditions. It should fan that discharge pattern right out for you.
I could be way off on what Im thinking about the chute, I hope PP will get the opportunity to test the deck in at least some semi-dry grass before returning it. Without the baffles as u suggest.