Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I could be way off on what Im thinking about the chute, I hope PP will get the opportunity to test the deck in at least some semi-dry grass before returning it. Without the baffles as u suggest.
In my XF2 review myself, Mag360 and ProStreet talk about running the deck without baffles. It really opens the deck right up. Very similar to the Velocity, my discharge opening is 13" so its not that much smaller than the velocity deck.

Dont be disapointed about the air seat and isolated platforms. I mow some rough stuff and it rides like a cloud. I have demoed Ferris and it feels slopy compared to the 400 series. You have to try it yourself...
Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I could be way off on what Im thinking about the chute, I hope PP will get the opportunity to test the deck in at least some semi-dry grass before returning it. Without the baffles as u suggest.
I measured the discharge openings on both mowers and they are equal, both 15" wide. I am looking at the baffle, and it could very well be some of the problem with discharge, but I have not seen the perfectly even looking fan pattern I see coming from the VX4.

Now, think about what I am saying, my 72 is longer and heavier than your 60, this makes a great deal of difference. There is no way a lighter, shorter wheel base mower can ride better, it just can't happen. The heavier mower will remove some of the more subtle bumps that can cause a lighter mower to bounce.

My 66" Super Z rides really good, I have the flex forks and flex base under the suspension seat, but I can tell the heavier, longer wheel base Hustler absorbs more shock, meaning you feel it less in your body.

The Gravely is shorter, and I can feel the difference in the front end of the mower when on rougher terrain, there is more of a quick jar, but then again it has run-flats and solid forks. This transmits the movement much quicker and pronounced that would a heavier, longer wheel base mower with additions (flex forks) to absorb shock.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It may take a while for him to save up his pocket money for this
The economy here is real bad and that is why I am not buying another mower but fix what I have, the economy around the country is getting worse.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The economy here is real bad and that is why I am not buying another mower but fix what I have, the economy around the country is getting worse.
when might we have the privilege of seeing some photos ?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
In my XF2 review myself, Mag360 and ProStreet talk about running the deck without baffles. It really opens the deck right up. Very similar to the Velocity, my discharge opening is 13" so its not that much smaller than the velocity deck.

Dont be disapointed about the air seat and isolated platforms. I mow some rough stuff and it rides like a cloud. I have demoed Ferris and it feels slopy compared to the 400 series. You have to try it yourself...
I can see if you are in a area where the Ferris suspension may help for you because how bumpy it is but other than that it just makes more stuff to go wrong.

The Gravely is a very well made Z but the Hustler is little heavier made and 1600 pounds says it. The hydro system in the Hustler is probably 50 pounds heavier and the mower itself probably has 100 pounds more steel than the Gravely and that is a good bit more beef.

The HD is a brick **** house.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Puppy, I know you cant feel my no flats but how do the no flats feel on the 472? Mine feel very soft. ProStreet says his 2013 no flats ride much harder than his 2012's did. He no longer gets flat spots but the trade off is ride quality.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
when might we have the privilege of seeing some photos ?
Photos of what?, if you are referring to mowing equipment I have a lot of it.

Before the economy went bust it was booming here but FL has been hit hard and I had to branch out into other businesses. The Lawn part is dead and I refuse 90% of the residentials because to me they are just a hassle.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I can see if you are in a area where the Ferris suspension may help for you because how bumpy it is but other than that it just makes more stuff to go wrong.

The Gravely is a very well made Z but the Hustler is little heavier made and 1600 pounds says it. The hydro system in the Hustler is probably 50 pounds heavier and the mower itself probably has 100 pounds more steel than the Gravely and that is a good bit more beef.

The HD is a brick **** house.
Im in an area where cut quality is critical. The down fall of the Ferris is deck movement not strength. On side hills and at high speeds I dont like deck movement. Its a heavy mass moving around. As far as weight goes here it can be a bad thing when we get almost 2 months of rain. Turf damage is a problem right now even with lighter machines. I like a happy medium of weight vs strength.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You hear people talk about how clean their decks stay, well to give folks an idea of how bad conditions truly are for mowing in my area right now, this is a shot under the 472's deck with only 2.1 hrs on the mower.

This is a new slick deck, so this will show I cut in some very bad situations at times myself, and wet is what causes the most problems.

When you see this on a new deck, and hear people say they don't have buildup underneath their decks, there is only one reason, they are not cutting in situations that promote what is seen in this photo.

I honestly had no idea you could see a deck build up that quickly, but it also shows what I'm talking about with how different signal grass can be. The guy's in Australia can relate to this, it is their grass causing this problem.

As "Realsloww" says, it's not always easy cutting in the berry patch. I cut a large amount of grass, and in all type situations for my area.

I have a mapping program I use, and I really did not know how much grass I was cutting per week. I used the mapping program a couple of nights ago to calculate the acreage, and found out I'm cutting over 16 ac per week, and this has been on a 5 to 6 day rotation, until the rain decided it would not go away.
16 acres per week That's one day cutting here

That deck is cake up that signal grass looks like some nice stuff
I know one guy has Gravely and he said hates it in the wet spring cakes up bad but now he loving it nice dry grass

From your side x side cutting pictures looks like hustler is a better cut
What height are you cutting?
You say its thick grass. When I first look at the photos looks to me to be thin looking. A lot of my lawns are thick and its like walking on carpet
Might look different in person vs looking at a photo
Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post

Goodo, sounds like PP will see a good improvement then as you guys have! Will be great to see how he goes.

I called my Gravely dealer a couple days ago to say Ive demoed the other machines & now ready to take out the 460, still waiting for him to call back with a date/time, I will call him back today to chase it up!

So far the Ferris gives a considerably better ride then the Scag Cheetah, also one pet hate of mine is deck chattering or bouncing around & the Cheetah did that quite a lot whereas the Ferris deck didn't chatter at all, maybe the Gravely wont have that. But the ride quality of the Ferris is gonna be hard to beat, however Ive been surprised more than once before with ZTRs so most definitely will try for myself & let you know what I think.