Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Goodo, sounds like PP will see a good improvement then as you guys have! Will be great to see how he goes.

I called my Gravely dealer a couple days ago to say Ive demoed the other machines & now ready to take out the 460, still waiting for him to call back with a date/time, I will call him back today to chase it up!

So far the Ferris gives a considerably better ride then the Scag Cheetah, also one pet hate of mine is deck chattering or bouncing around & the Cheetah did that quite a lot whereas the Ferris deck didn't chatter at all, maybe the Gravely wont have that. But the ride quality of the Ferris is gonna be hard to beat, however Ive been surprised more than once before with ZTRs so most definitely will try for myself & let you know what I think.
Dont get me wrong, I loved the Ferris! It was on my short list for a long time. The Gravely uses control arms for the deck hangers so deck movement is almost eliminated. I have never tried flex forks so I cant give an honest opinion. But when I watched your vids it looked like you were on a bucking bronco. My 452 and the Ferris I demoed did not do that.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I measured the discharge openings on both mowers and they are equal, both 15" wide. I am looking at the baffle, and it could very well be some of the problem with discharge, but I have not seen the perfectly even looking fan pattern I see coming from the VX4.

Now, think about what I am saying, my 72 is longer and heavier than your 60, this makes a great deal of difference. There is no way a lighter, shorter wheel base mower can ride better, it just can't happen. The heavier mower will remove some of the more subtle bumps that can cause a lighter mower to bounce.

My 66" Super Z rides really good, I have the flex forks and flex base under the suspension seat, but I can tell the heavier, longer wheel base Hustler absorbs more shock, meaning you feel it less in your body.

The Gravely is shorter, and I can feel the difference in the front end of the mower when on rougher terrain, there is more of a quick jar, but then again it has run-flats and solid forks. This transmits the movement much quicker and pronounced that would a heavier, longer wheel base mower with additions (flex forks) to absorb shock.
Sorry for suggesting the VX4 had a wider opening, had that completely wrong. So the baffle may make all the difference. I just hope youll get the opportunity to cut in some drier conditions before having to return the machine!

It seems the ride quality your getting has more to do with less front to back movement from a longer wheel base, then it does a suspension seat. Not that the susp seat doesn't play a good part, but Im sure the Air Ride seat would be a marked improvement on the Mech susp seat, so as you say your improved ride on the SZ is more related to extra weight & length. Those quick jars can be an ass hole when repeatedly thrown at you for 1.5hrs at a time
Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
16 acres per week That's one day cutting here

That deck is cake up that signal grass looks like some nice stuff
I know one guy has Gravely and he said hates it in the wet spring cakes up bad but now he loving it nice dry grass

From your side x side cutting pictures looks like hustler is a better cut
What height are you cutting?
You say its thick grass. When I first look at the photos looks to me to be thin looking. A lot of my lawns are thick and its like walking on carpet
Might look different in person vs looking at a photo
3.25 is what the dial said, have not measured to see if it matches blade height. The grass you see long ways beside the chicken house is just a good cutting thickness for grass, no problem for me to cut this at full Super Z speed. The common Bermuda behind the chicken house is extremely thick, completely different type cutting, can't you tell from the heavy carpet of clippings laying on the ground?

Quote:
Sorry for suggesting the VX4 had a wider opening, had that completely wrong. So the baffle may make all the difference. I just hope youll get the opportunity to cut in some drier conditions before having to return the machine!

It seems the ride quality your getting has more to do with less front to back movement from a longer wheel base, then it does a suspension seat. Not that the susp seat doesn't play a good part, but Im sure the Air Ride seat would be a marked improvement on the Mech susp seat, so as you say your improved ride on the SZ is more related to extra weight & length. Those quick jars can be an ass hole when repeatedly thrown at you for 1.5hrs at a time
Yes, no doubt the air ride seat would help somewhat, but it will not be the improvement most would think over what I have. I don't believe it will ever get dry, it's raining here and all around as I type. I have a friend that lives 7 miles from me, and he called this afternoon and told me he had 3.2" of rain in 45 minutes, never seen anything like it.

Last edited by puppypaws; 07-11-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Dont get me wrong, I loved the Ferris! It was on my short list for a long time. The Gravely uses control arms for the deck hangers so deck movement is almost eliminated. I have never tried flex forks so I cant give an honest opinion. But when I watched your vids it looked like you were on a bucking bronco. My 452 and the Ferris I demoed did not do that.
That's a good thing the control arms, look forward to trying. The FFs just don't seem to take any shock out in my experience, they only cause a problem for cutting, ie if not careful when backup up for a quick turn, then weight being transferred forward makes the FFs flex as they should, but that brings the front of deck lower & will leave 3 crop circles from the front on blades. I tried and tried to do this with the Ferris front end, as I was weary it may be worse then the FFs, but in no way did it do that, the cut was as level as a level itself & the shocks were close to bottoming out with the movement I was giving them. I put 45mins cutting time on the Ferris yesterday, on slopes and undulations cutting on the lowest level & couldn't get the deck to scalp, I was very impressed with it to say the least! miles better than FFs.

However the FFs Ridin has showed me on the JD range, appears to be very good. I feel as though Gravely should look into developing a set of these if they aren't already, given puppys review!

Im not too sure on the weight of the 452 as compared with Ferris 50"er, but it appears with the 3100z comparing with the 460, the 460 is actually 180lbs heavier. Although PP prefers heavier, I prefer lighter, as you do. I hate rutting lawns & that's so easy with these heavy ZTRs.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I measured the discharge openings on both mowers and they are equal, both 15" wide. I am looking at the baffle, and it could very well be some of the problem with discharge, but I have not seen the perfectly even looking fan pattern I see coming from the VX4.

Now, think about what I am saying, my 72 is longer and heavier than your 60, this makes a great deal of difference. There is no way a lighter, shorter wheel base mower can ride better, it just can't happen. The heavier mower will remove some of the more subtle bumps that can cause a lighter mower to bounce.

My 66" Super Z rides really good, I have the flex forks and flex base under the suspension seat, but I can tell the heavier, longer wheel base Hustler absorbs more shock, meaning you feel it less in your body.

The Gravely is shorter, and I can feel the difference in the front end of the mower when on rougher terrain, there is more of a quick jar, but then again it has run-flats and solid forks. This transmits the movement much quicker and pronounced that would a heavier, longer wheel base mower with additions (flex forks) to absorb shock.
I agree that typically a longer wheel base and more weight give a better ride like the old 20' long caddy's. But its not always the case in real world conditions. My truck is much longer and heavier than my wifes. But hers rides a lot better than mine. So suspn. does come into play. Also Im not saying you dont mow some rough stuff but here its so rough top speed mowing can only be achieved for short distances. I do hope to try a super z hd someday to compate up here.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
That's a good thing the control arms, look forward to trying. The FFs just don't seem to take any shock out in my experience, they only cause a problem for cutting, ie if not careful when backup up for a quick turn, then weight being transferred forward makes the FFs flex as they should, but that brings the front of deck lower & will leave 3 crop circles from the front on blades. I tried and tried to do this with the Ferris front end, as I was weary it may be worse then the FFs, but in no way did it do that, the cut was as level as a level itself & the shocks were close to bottoming out with the movement I was giving them. I put 45mins cutting time on the Ferris yesterday, on slopes and undulations cutting on the lowest level & couldn't get the deck to scalp, I was very impressed with it to say the least! miles better than FFs.

However the FFs Ridin has showed me on the JD range, appears to be very good. I feel as though Gravely should look into developing a set of these if they aren't already, given puppys review!

Im not too sure on the weight of the 452 as compared with Ferris 50"er, but it appears with the 3100z comparing with the 460, the 460 is actually 180lbs heavier. Although PP prefers heavier, I prefer lighter, as you do. I hate rutting lawns & that's so easy with these heavy ZTRs.
I couldnt get the Ferris to scalp either. I know others have complained. I did get the front end to dip and affect pitch. Seems like FF's would do the same? But I would like to try some.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I agree that typically a longer wheel base and more weight give a better ride like the old 20' long caddy's. But its not always the case in real world conditions. My truck is much longer and heavier than my wifes. But hers rides a lot better than mine. So suspn. does come into play. Also Im not saying you dont mow some rough stuff but here its so rough top speed mowing can only be achieved for short distances. I do hope to try a super z hd someday to compate up here.
Be great to hear your opinion on the SZ with those huge pumps, over your rough stuff.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Weight is your enemy for ride in rough terrain, I have been setting up MOTO X bikes off and on for over 25 years and #1 key to make something handle and ride good at speed in rough terrain is shave the weight. most importantly your wheels need to be light.

Weight kills your handling in every way but some other factors come into play as well though.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I agree suspension plays a part, but your truck has much heavier springs and suspension than your wife's vehicle, her vehicle was doctored for ride. This is the difference you are seeing.

You can take a pickup truck with the same suspension on both trucks, one short box, and one long box extended cab, now stop and think about this...The longer, heavier truck will ride much better than the shorter truck, you will feel every bump exaggerated in the shorter truck.

Realsloww is off in another world of his own, trying to compare dirt bikes...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I couldnt get the Ferris to scalp either. I know others have complained. I did get the front end to dip and affect pitch. Seems like FF's would do the same? But I would like to try some.
The FFs dipping scalps the grass if cutting on a low height say 2.5" whereas the Ferris susp gives a few inch of movement in susp yet doesn't cut the grass any lower, which is very important! So FFs are something to be weary off when cutting a lower heights & looking for a nice even appearance, ie around a customers house. But I think they could be a good benefit to gravely, only going by what PP has had to say. Particularly if they created FFs like the ones JD have.