Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I agree suspension plays a part, but your truck has much heavier springs and suspension than your wife's vehicle, her vehicle was doctored for ride. This is the difference you are seeing.

You can take a pickup truck with the same suspension on both trucks, one short box, and one long box extended cab, now stop and think about this...The longer, heavier truck will ride much better than the shorter truck, you will feel every bump exaggerated in the shorter truck.

Realsloww is off in another world of his own, trying to compare dirt bikes...
I agree with you 100%. All things being equal the longer heavier vehicle will ride better. But I think with some suspn. a shorter lighter machine could ride just as good if set up correctly. I really want to try the super out!!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I agree suspension plays a part, but your truck has much heavier springs and suspension than your wife's vehicle, her vehicle was doctored for ride. This is the difference you are seeing.

You can take a pickup truck with the same suspension on both trucks, one short box, and one long box extended cab, now stop and think about this...The longer, heavier truck will ride much better than the shorter truck, you will feel every bump exaggerated in the shorter truck.

Realsloww is off in another world of his own, trying to compare dirt bikes...
I will give you this 10 to 15 MPH is slow to where you could have a point and a longer wheel base will generally ride better but you give other handling traits up as well,

As your speed goes up over rough terrain weight will become more and more of your enemy. look at how light those ba ha racing trucks are, it is the same no matter what it is 2 or 4 wheels.

At slower speeds the added pork will not be as noticeable but as you add speed over rough terrain the lighter vehicle will leap away from the heavier one.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I will give you this 10 to 15 MPH is slow to where you could have a point and a longer wheel base will generally ride better but you give other handling traits up as well,

As your speed goes up over rough terrain weight will become more and more of your enemy. look at how light those racing ba ha racing trucks are, it is the same no matter what it is 2 or 4 wheels.

At slower speeds the added pork will not be as noticeable but as you add speed over rough terrain the lighter vehicle will leap away from the heavier one.
Same dirt bike, same suspension, one is 100 lbs heavier than the other, you hit a 12" tall speed bump running 30 mph, which bike will come off the ground highest?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Same dirt bike, same suspension, one is 100 lbs heavier than the other, you hit a 12" tall speed bump running 30 mph, which bike will come off the ground highest?
Both of them will fly but when you land you will feel it alot less with the lighter machine.

If you hit tons n tons of bumps back to back the lighter machine will deal with it alot better by skimming over it rather than riding in it but how fast you are going plays a big part.

A 15 MPH mowing machine is actually pretty dam fast if you are hitting rough terrain.

There are alot of variables but as your speed goes up mass becomes more of your enemy.

Why do you think most of those race vehicles cost so much? alot of it has to do with shaving every ounce off to handle better and go faster.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Both of them will fly but when you land you will feel it alot less with the lighter machine.

If you hit tons n tons of bumps back to back the lighter machine will deal with it alot better by skimming over it rather than riding in it but how fast you are going plays a big part.

A 15 MPH mowing machine is actually pretty dam fast if you are hitting rough terrain.

There are alot of variables but as your speed goes up mass becomes more of your enemy.

Why do you think most of those race vehicles cost so much? alot of it has to do with shaving every ounce off to handle better and go faster.
I was thinking maybe the heavier bike would not go as high into the air, making your body feel much less shock when you once again contacted a solid surface. I kinda figured the higher anything went into the air, the more speed it achieved when coming down, that is if gravity does indeed play a part, but I guess it may be different with dirt bikes.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

As your speed goes up over rough terrain weight will become more and more of your enemy. look at how light those ba ha racing trucks are, it is the same no matter what it is 2 or 4 wheels.

Well I think shorter is better in rough terrain My Classic vs Excalibur
My Classic is shorter then the Excalibur That's reason I keep buying the shorter mower

One thing these days Most lawn mowers that runs the short sidewalls are going ride rough Bigger sidewall you have less air pressure you need. That makes for a softer ride.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

In my experience heavier makes a better ride. My 1985 chevy s10 that I use as a backup truck when you go over bumps with that thing theres almost no weight on the rear tires. You can feel the trucks front tires ride over it alot better than the back tires, it feels like the back ends about to go airborn while the front end rides it pretty well. But when you attach a trailer or put some weight in the back you can immediately tell a huge difference. Both ends feel about the same on a bump. Just my $0.02 for what its worth.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good review. I saw the exact same results when we bought our 272. The deck pukes out turds with the baffle all the way up like that. The horizontal section of the baffles splits the airflow off of the sails and cuts discharge velocity in half vs the xfactor 1. The low lift blades only make it worse.
I was pretty upset over the rain mowing results that first day but cleaning the deck out (it looked a lot like puppy's) and removing the baffles completely achieved what I would consider "very good" results. There is a little bit of front blowout and a little lack of suction with the stock blades. I believe lowering the baffles would also help with discharge pressure but it will fan out best with them completely removed.
The tight wheelbase is great for trimmabality and scalp avoidance but I would agree the lateral movement of the operator is less noticeable with a longer wheelbase and flex forks.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mag360-

I see Oregon has G6's available for the 72" deck, but they would most likely make things a bit worse in the wet. They also have a blade with a regular sail that is 1 1/16" lift fore the 72" deck. If that is more than the stock blades have, they would sure be worth trying. The G6 is #396-761 and the other blade is #91-254.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
mag360-

I see Oregon has G6's available for the 72" deck, but they would most likely make things a bit worse in the wet. They also have a blade with a regular sail that is 1 1/16" lift fore the 72" deck. If that is more than the stock blades have, they would sure be worth trying. The G6 is #396-761 and the other blade is #91-254.
Thanks for the part numbers!

I'm curious about the g6's - this deck discharges so well with the baffles removed that I think it can handle gator blades even in the wet stuff. If I were a dealer in the northeast I think I would set the mower up without the baffles and include them as a bonus extra lift or leaf containment kit like hustler did on the xr7 deck. It really does compare well to the velocity deck and does a nice job making clippings disappear.