Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

At where I work has had only Stihl 400's for years, just bought a brand new TS420 this year, and he also bought a brand new Husky K760. We do A LOT of cutting, and so far I hear the guys liking the new Husqvarna better.
We've blown up quite a few Stihls, and have a lot of exhaust problems with them for some reason, the muffler bolts coming loose and falling out, muffler falling right off in the middle of cutting....so the boss went and bought two brand new saws of each brand to see which one lasts and works better I guess.

I personally have a Husqvarna K760 demo saw, and I like it a lot. I do like the top handle of the Stihl, but for the Husky works better. They are cheaper too.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got 2 ts400 one of which is 12 years old just finally had the cylinder go bad this year. Also have one that is 5 years old. Have never had any problems except for 3-4 pull cords each year.

Now with our string trimmers and hedge trimmers we have had the carbs gum up on those, I also run 87 oct and quaker state oil.

I am a huge stihl fan out of 13 handhelds 11 are stihl.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sva, which model saw is that? Sounds like an awesome feature
Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a stihl saw as well as all my handhelds are stihl. I have never had a problem with any of them as long as I have had them (3 years). My stihl saw I just use for light trimming or storm cleanup. I dont use it that often as we are mainly a mowing company but my friend who is a tree trimmer has all stihl saws and he swears by them. As far as I know hes never had one completely go out.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, those wonderful muffler bolts. I've even used Lock Tight* and they've still backed out.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have also had a lot of trouble with my Stihl carbs getting gummed up, I use the stihl synthetic with 89 octane. We have two Husky saws and one Stihl 420, I personally prefer the Husky, it seems to cut faster, rev higher and it fells lighter.

I would never recommend buying any two cycle products that mix the oil while its running, as DVS said they will fail causing engine failure.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
Yes, those wonderful muffler bolts. I've even used Lock Tight* and they've still backed out.
The bolt and threads must be super super clean and free of oil and dirt. And the LocTite needs time to dry and set up. Otherwise - it ain't gonna work.

And it should be the Red LocTite, not the Blue

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-11-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
I have also had a lot of trouble with my Stihl carbs getting gummed up, I use the stihl synthetic with 89 octane. We have two Husky saws and one Stihl 420, I personally prefer the Husky, it seems to cut faster, rev higher and it fells lighter.

I would never recommend buying any two cycle products that mix the oil while its running, as DVS said they will fail causing engine failure.
Certain models of 50cc dirt bikes have the oil injection. First thing the dads do - is remove the oil injector and they pre-mix. I had one bike where we went through 3 pistons and rings before I figured out the injector was bad
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Certain models of 50cc dirt bikes have the oil injection. First thing the dads do - is remove the oil injector and they pre-mix. I had one bike where we went through 3 pistons and rings before I figured out the injector was bad
I know exactly what you mean, I'm glad my dad learned before I blew up any engines. I remember a lot of Blasters blowing up when I was younger from the oil injection. Did you go to RedBud last weekend, (I know its a haul for you)? I try to make it every year, it's my favorite track to ride and watch.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

K 760 is the model Huskey we have.

i think you can switch the blade side on the stihl as well, just more difficult.