Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Fall Treatments

I am thinking of starting Fall treatments early this year. From the forecasts for August it seems the weather is going to be fairly mild. This would look great for the lawns to have fuller grass by early September instead of late Sept early Oct..
What does everyone think about that? Am I missing something or not?

I would like to know what starter fertilizers or product some of you are using in this case.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've decided to start now as well... Starter ferts are pretty lite on N,so I've decided to go with Triple-10 now just because I've not added any P or K for years now, other than Milorganite... about .5#/k is going to be my late Summer app...
Straight N for the Early Fall winterizer...

Spot spraying will also occur this week and I'm going to spring for the CG killer, just to get an early start of the areas that didn't germinate last year, after the drought...
Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I've decided to start now as well... Starter ferts are pretty lite on N,so I've decided to go with Triple-10 now just because I've not added any P or K for years now, other than Milorganite... about .5#/k is going to be my late Summer app...
Straight N for the Early Fall winterizer...

Spot spraying will also occur this week and I'm going to spring for the CG killer, just to get an early start of the areas that didn't germinate last year, after the drought...
Your thoughts on P+K for the heavy Fall Application of Fert 65-75% of the seasons Nitrogen...?

Slow release vs. Fast release...?

Best fert in combo with Autumn Fall aeration....?

Except for today temps still in the 80's in the near forecast been in the high 80's to 90's with very little rain for a very long time.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Your thoughts on P+K for the heavy Fall Application of Fert 65-75% of the seasons Nitrogen...?

Slow release vs. Fast release...?

Best fert in combo with Autumn Fall aeration....?

Except for today temps still in the 80's in the near forecast been in the high 80's to 90's with very little rain for a very long time.
This article is probably the best explanation article dealing with the 'Whys' and 'Wherefors' in turf growth, life cycles and How we can augment it to its fullest potential...

Simply put, the Fall season is when the grass is going to be establishing deeper roots and storing carbs for winter survival... Nitrogen is key to that process and is actively used right up until the ground freezes...

The following Spring the plants break dormancy as the ground thaws/warms and the roots begin to utilize the carbs stored the previous season... N, at this time is Detrimental to that natural process,, in that it forces green growth as it burns up the stored carbs and the roots are now secondary in the plants' growth... that is an unnatural and unhealthy distortion of the grass' life cycle...
For that reason I do not like to use slow release prills in that I've seen them survive the winter and they start N release as soon as the Spring rains start... so it is fast release fert in the Fall,,, especially as a winterizer in Sept...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I didn't post the article...

http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-dise...-fertilization