Register free!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Design questions

Don't post much or all over here but I am a lurker. How some questions for you folks. Been in bus 13 years or landscape irrigate dirt work etc, something I have been noticing a lot more lately around here is big / well know companies cutting corners. I always thought around houses/footings to use spray heads but it seems like everyone around here is putting rotors along the house. Then they will mix rotors and sprays on same zone, with no where close to matched precp. If I throw a spray in with a rotor I will use a mp nozzle and size rotors accordingly. Am I correct or am I wrong? Input would be great!! Thanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't cut corners.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Don't cut corners.
What Kiril said...period.

We have seen over the past several years an increasing amount of just extremely poor installations just like you mentioned.

We also have been getting back all of the work we lost to these companies that we of course cheaper. It is a very good feeling and situation to be in when the contractors, builders and customer come back after they realize what cheap gets them.

It has allowed us to increase our pricing and those I mentioned are okay with because they have already been through the alternative.

We NEVER have and never will mix spray heads with rotors. If the cost of adding a valve is the difference between you making or losing money, your prices are too cheap.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know I will get slammed by some here but it is not always that people are trying to cut corners. I always try to do the right thing and not mix sprays and rotors. But if you are using wells and pumps as a source,putting one or two spray heads on a single zone for some tiny area is going to cause the pump to cycle. So you do the best you can with what you have.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I know I will get slammed by some here but it is not always that people are trying to cut corners. I always try to do the right thing and not mix sprays and rotors. But if you are using wells and pumps as a source,putting one or two spray heads on a single zone for some tiny area is going to cause the pump to cycle. So you do the best you can with what you have.
It's easier now to fit heads into a well water supply. Besides the smaller spray nozzles nowadays, we can also use regulator spray bodies and even the little restrictor ports Toro and Rainbird provide.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

For wells & pumps I suggest you look at Cycle Stop Valves and try them. I have used them for years and they solve the problem of having to mix heads.
Well worth the money.

Last edited by tx irritator; 07-15-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

those valves have some limitations - the inexpensive versions won't allow output pressure above 60 psi - the ones built from a brass PRV have a hefty insertion loss
Old 07-15-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have used the cycle stop valve quite often they do a good job. But it's not always so simple as just put in a cycle stop. Depending on the plumbing in the house that could require quite a bit of alteration or pulling the pump to put it inside the casing. I Agree that it's the right thing to do but if it's $2500 install and you need to do $1500 worth of plumbing alteration to get it done you might not get the job.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx irritator View Post
For wells & pumps I suggest you look at Cycle Stop Valves and try them. I have used them for years and they solve the problem of having to mix heads.
Well worth the money.
Cyclestop valves do not solve the problems assocciated with poorly designed systems, rather they enable those that design and install poorly.

I install a number of the brass valves and the occassional PSIdekick in an effort to prevent pressure loss from pump cycling.

While they work on systems that have multiple hydrozones, drip and even over zoning to an extent, there is just so much one can do to defeat a poor foundation.

I like the Cyclestop a lot but i don't think that it is an end all solution to poor design.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Excessive cycling can be dealt with a "cycle stop/guard" valve to some extent. Irrigation systems that use pumps with pressure switches can also be wired where a pump start relay bypasses the pressure switch.
Here's some links to some wiring PDF's (again).
PSR with centrifugal pump.
PSR with well pump.

In addition, a VFD pump control can be used to control pump cycling/demand issues. I have a few of the F&W "Artesian Drive Controllers" installed that deal with pump cycling issues just fine.

Last edited by Sprinkus; 07-17-2013 at 09:04 PM.