Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thoughts on Skid Sprayers

So for the past couple years, I have done about half my fertilizer in house, and subed the other half out to a local fert & squirt company. I only fertilize my lower end accounts and all of my higher end ones are on a seven step plan with this local company. The issue I have here is that the amount we are spending on fertilizer is just outrageous in my opinion for these 20 high-end accounts.

My point being that I would like to start to do all of my fertilizer applications. I have my pesticide license for NC. My question is what size skid sprayer should I start out with? I'm only maintaining about 150k sq feet of turf on our high end accounts. 200 gallon? Iv been looking at the lesco units and they seem nice, I'm just not sure what I should be looking for. I also have a couple commercial properties that are in the 5 acre range but, they only get sprayed twice a year, and I had the local fert company doing those too.

I would be spraying 3-way and fungicides mainly. I'm new to the spraying game, in the past i have only used granular and flung it with the push spreader. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Zach
Old 07-07-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

200 gallon is fine. Take a look at Gregson clark...scroll down 2 inches. Could be better quality. Lesco's stuff is made by MTD/Cub Cadette, not sure how they compare.

And you didn't mention whether or not you planned to mix liquid fert or melted urea in the tank--or herbicide and fungicide only--some important differences.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's the advantages of using liquid fert? Is it cheaper?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A 200 gal skid will get you 3 acres or less depending how many gals per th you are putting down.

That means on a 5 acre lot you will have to refill.

I have a lesco skid just as good as my other one. To me I would want a diaphragm pump and a name brand engine 1/2 hose and a eclectic rewind reel.

Liquid fert is like every thing there are cheap ways like melting down urea to liquid fert that comes in a drum.

Are you going to treat your yards twice once with dry fert and than drag a hose to do weed control.

If you mix fert / weed control / with a pre you will only go over the yard once in your spring application. the rest you can mix up to meat your needs.

Ever consider a ride on spreader / sprayer ?

If I had to pull a hose on a 5 acre lot I can tell you the way I would go.

Just some thoughts
Charles Cue
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mind have to refill tank more often. I'm not servicing 100+ customers at this point so I think the 200 gallon will do. I'm just nervous switching to all liquid. I would like to not have to push the spreader and drag a hose in spring for our applications. So I would probably attempt to use liquid fertilizer.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf landscape View Post
I don't mind have to refill tank more often. I'm not servicing 100+ customers at this point so I think the 200 gallon will do. I'm just nervous switching to all liquid. I would like to not have to push the spreader and drag a hose in spring for our applications. So I would probably attempt to use liquid fertilizer.
Than try UFLEX it melts down like urea but you won't have the burn problems and is not real costly.

Do a search on here [ UFLEX ]

Get a skid and try it on your yard

Charles Cue
Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Charles!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As much as I like and use UFLEXX you will get burn with it in higher temps and when it is a little dry. I have found that when it is above 80F I need almost 3 gallons per thou with no more than 1/2 of N per thou. I am still looking for a reasonably priced liquid nitrogen product that won't burn. Anybody know of one. On anything over 7000 Sq. Ft. I am riding my T and slinging the UFLEXX/UMAXX. The Lesco unit is probably as good as any. It all depends on what pump and engine they are using. I installed a Delavan Fat Boy electric pump on mine skid to use early morning so I don't bother anyone with the noise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody used the Tractor Supply Skid Sprayer? 200 gallon for only $2800.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought a 400 gallon GNC tank. Impressed with quality.