Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

My New lawn schedule for the New Year.

First, I'd like to say thank you to everyone on this forum, this is an amazing forum with lots and lots of valuable information that everyone shares here, from business owners, to turf experts, to homeowners who are always willing to share their knowledge and ideas! I grew up in the country and on the farms around crops all my life. But it wasn't until about two years ago I grew a passion and a fascination with understanding soil structures and learning different variables and and techniques for lawns, which is a whole different learning curve then growing vegetables, cotton, and wheat. Don't get me wrong, I love growing gardens, farming, and anything you can name, but I developed a "true" and an fascination for grass, lawns, and learning about the soil the grass and lawns grow on top of. I decided to go to school and further educate myself on the subject, but aside from my education, I'd now say I have 500+ hours in browsing, reading, and studying what I enjoy, many of those hours on this forum full of helpful members.

After purchasing purchasing a few rental properties in the city, I decided to exercise my knowledge and play with different experiments myself, many techniques I learned from helpful people on this forum. Thank you, ya'll know who ya'll are who had the patience to help me out, answer questions, discuss off the wall topics, and I want to give a thanks even to the people that here that have been around posting questions and topics for others to learn and get ideas from.

This year, I decided to try and switch up my lawn schedule on one of our properties and play around with some different ideas that I've learned from the website. Eventually I want to get all the lawns to thrive off of organics, with few synthetics, but it's a slow process. I thought I'd share my Down South lawn schedule for anyone that wants to see what I'm working on. while also giving a thanks to everyone on the forum for who's had the diligence to help over time and also share their knowledge.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm hoping to experiment and slightly build up our soil conditions and make a slight conversion over time. I built my lawn schedule in correlation to our extremely dry and hot 100+ degree summers, our soil conditions (alkaline soils), and want to see what I can make happen this year. Here's some pictures of what I started on;

Early Fall Picture:

Early November Pictures:

Last Winter Picture:

Also note, many people thought the grass wouldn't thrive over roots. So I did a little experimenting with different organics, fertilizers, different water amounts, and many soil test around the drip line, the roots, and beyond the drip line of the tree and believe it or not, managed to get the lawn healthier and thicker inside the drip line then the outside perimeter of the drip line. Note 30+ year oak is still thriving, in excellent condition, and also being fed inside the drip line with a feed tube. Here's what the lawns setting over

(Note the picture doesn't do it justice, there are much, much larger roots to this giant going in all different direction, all the way up towards the sidewalk, and I do dread having to plant a new one before it bust the concrete.)

Last edited by BlazersandWildcats2009; 01-06-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Here's the current schedule I put many hours into and plan on trying this year and hoping to improve the lawn appearance by 100% (Very detailed, from our climate, to soil, to watering needs.)

March 15:
- Compost ( 1 cubic yard / 1,000 sq feet)
- Alfa Pellets ( 20 lbs. / 1,000 sq feet)
- Corn Meal ( 10 lbs. / 1,000 sq feet)

April 1:
- Ammonium Sulfate (3.5 lbs. / 1,000 sq feet)

May 1:
- Ammonium Sulfate 3 lbs. (3.5 lbs. / 1,000 sq feet)

May 15:
- Alfa Pellets ( 20 lbs / 1,000 sq feet)
- Corn Meal ( 20 lbs / 1,000 sq feet)

June 1:
- Ammonium Sulfate (2.5 lbs. / 1,000 sq feet)

July 15:
- Alfa Pellets ( 20 lbs / 1,000 sq feet)
- Corn Meal ( 30 lbs / 1,000 sq feet)

August 1:
- Ammonium Sulfate ( 2.5 lbs. / 1,000 sq feet)

September 1:
- Alfa Pellets ( 30 lbs / 1,000 sq feet)
- Cornmeal ( 20 lbs / 1,000 sq feet)

October 1:
- Alfa Pellets ( 30 lbs / 1,000 sq feet)
- Corn Meal ( 10 lbs / 1,000 sq feet)

November:
Water (1st, 10th, 20th)

Spring Watering:
Water (1.25" week / 1 Day Week) - Weather Accordingly

Summer Watering:
Water (1.5" / 2 days week ) .75" per water day

Winter Watering:
Water (1.25" / 2 days month) 1st and 15th

Mowing:
Scalp first mow of spring
Spring Mowing - 2.0"
Summer Mowing - 3.0"
Fall Mowing / Late Months - 2.5"

(Notice) I have no plans for pre emergent or post emergent) Our lawn is growing thick enough and cared enough for that I have yet to have any kind of issue with weeds, nor do I think I will have an issue due to frequent mowing, irrigation, and care.)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So what's that grass look like now? Our newspaper said it got down to 12* in your town today.

This is a link to my favorite weather site. The radar is what i look at and with this one you can zoom in pretty tight.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/...ation=USTX0057
Old 01-09-2014, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
So what's that grass look like now? Our newspaper said it got down to 12* in your town today.

This is a link to my favorite weather site. The radar is what i look at and with this one you can zoom in pretty tight.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/...ation=USTX0057

Long time no talk. I'll snap some pictures for you tomorrow. It's finally sleeping now unfortunately. I'm ready for Spring again, I picked up a new reel I'm going to use on it when spring rolls around, jut can't wait for the warm weather again so I can start experimenting around again. To tell you the truth, the nights have gotten pretty cold and it finally started turning a gold color. I'll snap the pic tomorrow and post back to the forum so you can see the color. It took a while though, our temperatures started dropping to 35'ish range about a month ago, then a day or two later would shoot back up to 60-70. Now it's starting to warm back up a little bit, the cold front moving out once again. We're at 49 tonight, Sunday we're suppose to see 73 again. It did finally fall a sleep after we got a steady week of cold air, but we we've been fluctuating from cold to warm for two months straight. I can't believe Sunday is going to be days from the middle of January and we're looking at being 7 degree's from the 80's again.

What's weird, is in early fall when I had the what I thought was the dollar spot or some sort of fungi, and remember I told you I was going to try the CM method, and it all the white areas of the blades did end up going away. I still can't point it directly to the CM, because I know the CM takes a while to break down, and that stuff was gone so shortly after. So I won't point directly at the CM to being the cure for the fungus. I know it could have been the Zoysia just fighting it off. But I will say, I put about 40 lbs. across the 1,000 sq. ft. I put twice the application within the drip line of the tree and root zone, and then spread the last ten lbs. of the 50 lb. back within the same area. After everything went dormant and started turning to the golden color, the area that I put a lot more of the CM down was the last area to start changing color. When the lawn started turning to the lawn started turning to the golden color, the area within the drip line and root zone of the tree was still a healthy green color. I'm going to look at it again tomorrow, I don't know if these few nights of steady cold weather effected it, but I'll check and snap some pictures tomorrow of that area too and see if it's still green. But it was weird, because I can assure you, that section was a healthy, healthy looking green when everything else turned gold. I started thinking maybe it had something to do with sun-light / shade in that area, then I thought about nitrogen, but I know the Corn Meal doesn't have enough nitrogen to make that much of a difference, especially this late in the season. I say late, but all our leaves didn't finish falling until right around Christmas Day. I did our fall cleanup around December 27. You have any reasoning behind what would cause the area within the drip line, or from the oak, to about a five foot circumference to stay green like that besides the higher rate of OM distributed?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Be glad there is a dormant period. Lot's of tree's and warm season grass's seem to benefit from dormancy.

I was looking at your schedule for 2014 and when you talk about ammonium sulfate you say 3 1/2 Lbs. per 1000. Your talking about the total weight of the product right? You need to express that as pound's of nitrogen per 1000. That's the way that is done. If you say 3 1/2 Lbs. then that's confusing.

I'll bet that green you see around that tree is caused by the tree itself protecting the grass from frost. That will only last as long as there are leave's on the tree.

What kind of reel mower did you get?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey buddy, sorry I got busy and never made it back the next day.

I suppose you are right about the leaves, because the more days that pass by sense the day all the leaves finished falling, it has started changing to the gold'ish color also.

As for the reel mower, I picked up a 20" Tru Cut. It has the 4hp Honda engine with a bag which I'll defiantly be using. As you said a while back, I also am expecting it's going to look 10x nicer with the reel. I came across a Craigslist special and picked it up for five bills.

I'm not sure the picture does it any justice, it kind of looked grayish when I looked at the photograph I uploaded today. But after I was looking at the lawn from a distance and close up, it defiantly has a "goldish" color.

As for the lbs. of nitrogen or a. sulfate, I was defiantly talking in raw lbs. of product. I remember you teaching me a while back to refer to it in lbs. of nitrogen rather then lbs. of fertilizer. I had already broke those numbers down with multiplying and dividing, so I knew exactly how much nitrogen was being applied as I made the schedule, but I defiantly understand what you're saying. I'll be going over and editing my schedule and putting the actual (lbs. of nitrogen) being put down when I get some more free time.

Here's a quick picture I snapped and uploaded today. As I mentioned, the picture doesn't do it justice because it doesn't look very "gold", but in person it defiantly has a goldish color to it.

Last edited by BlazersandWildcats2009; 01-12-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't wait until Spring time to put the first shoot of compost down. When I did that schedule, I took into consideration it will all be according to weather so not technically a "set" schedule, but you know what I mean.

What temperatures do you think would be optimum for laying the first layer of compost? I remember you said in the active growing seasons, so would you say when soil temps. reach about 65 again?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, zoysia has a good dormant color. That's just another advantage that grass has. I like that golden color much more than the grey of bermuda.

I don't know when the optimum time for compost would be but you need to let the zoysia come all the way out of dormancy before you start messing with it. Just remember that any kind of sandy material is abrasive to the plant and it will need all of it's recuperative power. That might seem kind of picky and it is a small detail but all those little thing's can add up to a big positive down the road. Pay attention to soil temperature's, start charting them. Everything that grass does, in fact, everything all plant's do depend's on soil temp's.

What is the mowing height with your reel mower going to be?