Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Which of these 2 ZTR's would you buy

Guys, I am mowing about 2.5 acres here at my house and decided to go with a zero turn. I thought I had my decision made on a Huzqvarna mz6128 that I could get on sale at Rural King (with a coupon) for right at $4,000. I figured it would be all the mower I ever needed.

However, I found a local lawn care business that is getting new mowers and he has a 2011 Ferris 3100Z with a little over 600 hours on it for $5,500. It has the 30HP Briggs. It is probably more mower than I need, but the price seems right.

For just a residential yard, which of these two would you buy, factoring in the price? I don't want to pay more than I have to, but I do want whatever I buy to last me a long time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
Guys, I am mowing about 2.5 acres here at my house and decided to go with a zero turn. I thought I had my decision made on a Huzqvarna mz6128 that I could get on sale at Rural King (with a coupon) for right at $4,000. I figured it would be all the mower I ever needed.

However, I found a local lawn care business that is getting new mowers and he has a 2011 Ferris 3100Z with a little over 600 hours on it for $5,500. It has the 30HP Briggs. It is probably more mower than I need, but the price seems right.

For just a residential yard, which of these two would you buy, factoring in the price? I don't want to pay more than I have to, but I do want whatever I buy to last me a long time.

Thanks in advance.
In my opinion for the little extra in price the ferris will treat you much better. I'm not taking anything away from husky, but the ferris was a 11-13k dollar mower when new, and you are getting it with low hours for a great price.

I would buy the ferris if you can swing it. This of course depends on what kind of shape the mower is in. If the mower was operated by employees there was most likely less care taken with it.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

It was used by his employees, and that is the only thing that worries me. It looks to be in good shape, but I don't know enough about them to see what I am looking for. The Husky would have a warranty, so that would give me some piece of mind.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
It was used by his employees, and that is the only thing that worries me. It looks to be in good shape, but I don't know enough about them to see what I am looking for. The Husky would have a warranty, so that would give me some piece of mind.
I would be most concerned with the hydraulic system. Would the owner allow you to operate it and get a feel for what you may be buying?

On the other hand, there is something great about a brand new piece of equipment. You know exactly how it's been treated and cared for. I would say that either mower would be a great choice. The husky would do everything you need it to on your property.

Most mower vs mower threads come down to what you need as opposed to what you want. The husky is a ford, the ferris is a Cadillac. They both cut grass, but one does it with more style and frills.