Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

1st Large Bid --- Help?!

It's 6 triplexes, and 1 large apartment building.
10-12 Hedges trimmed every other week
LOADS of trimming around the buildings/trees
Grass Bagged and disposed of
From now until Sept 1st every week
Will be 3 guys
one ride on
one push
one trimming
Will probably take 6hrs or so... not quite sure

Whata yall say?
Attached Images

2013 Toyota Highlander

A mower
Another mower
A trimmer
A blower
A trailer

17 years old
Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say it depends on how much you consider a "load" of trimming is?

10-12 hedges trimmed twice a month? I'm wondering, are the hedges 10ft long or 100ft long and are they 5ft tall or 10ft tall?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

6 man hours? Or each guy there 6hours for a total of 18 man hours?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the hedge trimming included in that 6 hrs or is that just for mowing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just realized what equipment you plan to use. You best pass on this one. Chances are, you'll have equipment failure and not have the income to replace it. Stick with little old ladies until you have the right equipment to service large commercial properties.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

O no. I just saw the equipment too. I have a 36 walk and a 48" ztr and I don't think me and 2 other people could do that in six hours unless the bushes are short and there is not alot of edging. But maybe I am wrong. Trimmer will be first to go if there is LOADS like I am thinking
Old 07-09-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Weeds Left Behind View Post
O no. I just saw the equipment too. I have a 36 walk and a 48" ztr and I don't think me and 2 other people could do that in six hours unless the bushes are short and there is not alot of edging. But maybe I am wrong. Trimmer will be first to go if there is LOADS like I am thinking
Ya, I passed. I realized, pretty much as I posted the thread, that my equipment wasn't going to last. Maybe next yr if I have a big push, a zt, and commercial grade other stuffff. I'm making enough now, so I'm all good in that department.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea man I started last year got about 9-10 accounts and had a Ryobi blower. Lasted all summer, but the first time I was cleaning leaves after about 25 min straight of blowing it locked up and started smoking. While raking the rest of the yard, (and it was a big yard) I vowed to never buy cheap equipment again. IMO I would stay small for two or three years then branch out to commercial that's my plan anyway.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I have 17 accounts (5 of which are only June-aug), and everything has worked fine. The lawn tractor has done well. I can now pop a three point turn nearly as fast as a ztr can turn around, although it's more cumbersome. Trimmer had some troubles with feeding the line in the beginning, but that's past. The push which I've had for 5 or so years burns oil like crazy, but works otherwise. The blower doesn't like hot weather, but if I open the gas tank after 30sec of running, and then close it after letting out the pressure, it does fine. The bagger on the tractor had a problem with popping out its support bolts, but I fixed that with some larger ones and some nuts on them. The trailer works perfectly, except the paint job is TERRIBLE, but it was cheap. I'm using my moms 11 highlander, so I'm all good there. All in all, it's not too bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLawnServices View Post
I have 17 accounts (5 of which are only June-aug), and everything has worked fine. The lawn tractor has done well. I can now pop a three point turn nearly as fast as a ztr can turn around, although it's more cumbersome. Trimmer had some troubles with feeding the line in the beginning, but that's past. The push which I've had for 5 or so years burns oil like crazy, but works otherwise. The blower doesn't like hot weather, but if I open the gas tank after 30sec of running, and then close it after letting out the pressure, it does fine. The bagger on the tractor had a problem with popping out its support bolts, but I fixed that with some larger ones and some nuts on them. The trailer works perfectly, except the paint job is TERRIBLE, but it was cheap. I'm using my moms 11 highlander, so I'm all good there. All in all, it's not too bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
You just need some commercial grade stuff. Save, and replace your crappy stuff with good stuff as it breaks down. I'd get a 52/54 or 60 inch walk behind (get a lightly used one) and get rid of that tractor while it has some resale value. Throw a sulky on it, and not only will you get more done in less time, your customers will be happy that their lawns look even nicer. Go belt driven, not hydro because of the expensive replacement parts. Buy hydro when your grossing enough that you can easily afford a part failure.

Good move passing. You have the rest of your career to go after big jobs. Having huge accounts like that when starting is awesome, but if you don't have the cash flow, the insurance, and the equipment to handle it, it will be a nightmare for you.