Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa T230

Found your site and have a quick question! I have a T230 which I've had for many years. The other day while using it, it shut down. I could get it to restart, but it would shut back off. I found that the primer bulb was damaged, so I switched it out.....still would not work. I found that the fuel filter was no longer attached, so I purchased a new filter and replaced the lines...still will not work. I pulled the carb, cleaned it out/off and put it back on....still the same. What I have found is that if you hold it upside down (fuel tank on top), it will run. When you position it as if you were going to use it, it shuts down. For some reason, it will not pump fuel on it's own. What do I need to do to get it to work again?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is it? Sounds like the fuel pump diaphragm has gotten stiff. When you cleaned the carb did you use a carb kit and replace the old soft parts?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

It's old, about 14 yrs. When I cleaned it, I just sprayed it with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air. Where would you recommend getting a carb kit from?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsr1 View Post
It's old, about 14 yrs. When I cleaned it, I just sprayed it with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air. Where would you recommend getting a carb kit from?
Try your dealer first. The kit will likely be a generic walbro kit. Replace as many of the soft parts as you can. The trouble you describe is likely from the diaphragm with the button looking thing. They typically harden over time and with exposure to ethanol. It's the actual fuel pump.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you, will do!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IF YOU HAD BOTH FUEL LINES OFF CARB, ARE YOU SURE YOU DIDN'T GET THEM SWITCHED? Remove one of the lines at the carb and press primer, did fuel come our carb where line was removed--if so, lines are on correctly. if not, replace that fuel line and remove other and repeat the process. If still no fuel coming out carb, switch lines and repeat process.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsr1 View Post
Just about any online vendor can get ya the kit. The gasket & diaphragm kit is Walbro # D11-WYL, or a more complete kit is the rebuild kit, Walbro #K20-WYL.
Personally, I usually only use a G&D kit.
The carb should be a Walbro WYL-26 (non adj.) or a WYL-19A ( adj.).

The carb kit from Shindaiwa would prolly be # 99909-159, unless they changed it.

......AMF!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Just about any online vendor can get ya the kit. The gasket & diaphragm kit is Walbro # D11-WYL, or a more complete kit is the rebuild kit, Walbro #K20-WYL.
Personally, I usually only use a G&D kit.
The carb should be a Walbro WYL-26 (non adj.) or a WYL-19A ( adj.).

The carb kit from Shindaiwa would prolly be # 99909-159, unless they changed it.
Saw a wyl-19a at on amazon yesterday for around 30.00 dollars.Once you factor in your time and rebuild kit price and trying get all the passages clean he mite be better off with a new carb.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I have found on the Shindaiwa T230's and T231's that the cylinder bolts work themselves loose over time and cause the symptoms that you are having. I have picked up several from people that replaced the carburetors and could not get the going and I just tightened the Allen bolts in the cylinder head and they ran like new. Just something to check.