Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

trimming shrubs and palms included?

Hi there,

Does anyone of you include trimming palms and shrubs in your regular services? I mean for the same price. I just purchased some accounts and the former owner used to include that, I didn't know that, but now when my crew is doing the job, customers keep telling them to trim all the bushes and palms and this happens week after week. It takes a lot of time as most of them has many. The problem is that if they don't do that, people call to complain, and I don't want to lose the accounts for which i paid for. Of course I don't include that in new and old accounts, but do you have any suggestions?
Thank you!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissout View Post
Hi there,

Does anyone of you include trimming palms and shrubs in your regular services? I mean for the same price. I just purchased some accounts and the former owner used to include that, I didn't know that, but now when my crew is doing the job, customers keep telling them to trim all the bushes and palms and this happens week after week. It takes a lot of time as most of them has many. The problem is that if they don't do that, people call to complain, and I don't want to lose the accounts for which i paid for. Of course I don't include that in new and old accounts, but do you have any suggestions?
Thank you!
Its a done deal now but this is def something you should have found out before buying...you either raise them or do it for free...
Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Guess you better learn to trim shrubs quicker. Have you spoke to the former owner to ensure that he did this for "free" and that the customers are not just pulling a old Okie Doke on the new guy? Still not sure how you purchased accounts not knowing this.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Sponsor

Try using a growth regulator on your shrubs and bushes. This should reduce your labor cost. The palms are another story. I would continue with the existing contracts for 1 year and than raise your price to cover your labor cost. If any of your customers balk, wish them the best and move forward without them.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-14-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes...I have the same deal when I bought a business out this year. I just do what the previous owner did on those property's. It is what it is. Just bite the bullet and trim them up this year. Next year raise the price
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I always do every thing in one price because that's what sets you apart from all the others. I have tons of customers asking me if my price includes hedges and weeding and I say that's part of the lawn maintenances job and get the job right then and there.