Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did something different with my list this time. I used the length of home ownership as a filter coupled with home values. I'm only going to homes at the $800K plus range where they have owned the home for 15 years or less. The longer a person has owned a home the more apt they tend to be set in their ways. Plus your getting into an older crowd which is often also a negative much of the time.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-18-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I did something different with my list this time. I used the length of home ownership as a filter coupled with home values. I'm only going to homes at the $800K plus range where they have owned the home for 15 years or less. The longer a person has owned a home the more apt they tend to be set in their ways. Plus your getting into an older crowd which is often also a negative much of the time.
I think you are doing yourself a disservice with your parameters.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we charge the customer 1/3 the cost new to refurbish or full price to replace product. years 5, 6 on all night long folks. years 7-10 on 6 hour folks. but we cover the cost and usually magic box and replace bulbs until we run into catastrophic or cascading burnout where the whole set goes. I have not had to replace or refurbish any item I can remember in year 4. but I would cover that unless a dog chewed it up or something.

we charge to replace incan bulbs. for color and such. but folks rarely do.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That makes sense David. If you look at a 10 year customer, I guess it would take some serious number crunching to figure out if one way is significantly cheaper than another. I would imagine that over time there probably isnt a huge cost difference.

It all boils down to how you want to do it and then just stick with that method. Either way, it still a service based business and that is where you win or lose in the long run.

I really like the rental model. It works for me.

I am surprised you dont have more people changing colors etc. Most of my customers stay the same, but I do have 10-15% of my customer base change colors in any given year. I try to get them to stay with one color for 3 years, but I will change every year if they want. Just had one today want to switch from multi to white.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

color changes are kinda rare for us. we don't advertise it or push it. only on request. we don't have time during the season. only off season.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know there were a couple of comments above asking how you handle customers who own and want to change the lights after a few years, which is normally the selling point to rental. We came up with our own solution to that. We will buy back product that is 3 seasons or less old. We have worked it into a way that it most often leads to upsales. Depending on how old the product is, we credit back the customer accordingly. After 1 season, we credit back 60% of the sale price, 2 seasons we credit 50% of sale price, 3rd season we credit 40% of the sale price. That credit can only be used towards new product, not towards handing/removal or storage. We have a pretty good markup on product, so by buying back at 60% and selling something new! we are still bringing in more profit than not buying it back.

We try not to sell the used product, as this is my biggest pitch for owning over renting that we give our clients. We usually end up using them on jobs that are at a reduced cost for marketing.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So I figure November has begun, so I will get into specifics about where my new customer sales are. I have 8 new customers. looked back over the past 5 years, and 2010 I had 10 new at this point. so behind that year but ahead of all the others. and I closed more jobs by the end in 2011,12 than I did in 2010, so hoping that the season ends well.

some new have come from web search ( and the biggest one did ) , some have come from truck advertising, and some from postcards. 1 from yellow pages. while I have preached yard signs, I have been lazy this year about having guys put them out. that will change next week.

oddly I have had a run on 12' wreaths this year, with doing two projects with 12 foot wreaths, 3 total. This will be a step up for us, as we have sold lots of 7's ( what hdy calls an 8 now) a few true 8's over the last few years, I go over a decade not selling any 10's ( though I sold a few way back in 2002 ) and now I sold 3 12 footers before the season cranked up. I will be trying the Cheyenne and grand Teton foliage and frames out, will light them ourselves with LED c'9s and will report back on how these wreaths work out. If they impress me I may add the 10 foot versions of either to my sales pitch in the future.

gonna try a 6 foot bow on the single, pricey but shippable and sellable, but They may need an 8 foot bow. which the wholesale cost of that bow is insane for the record. as good a salesman as I am, I can't look into a persons eyes and ask over a grand for a bow bought and hung. but just the cost-bought and shipped and labor to just install and take down an 8 foot bow is approaching a grand. but I gotta admit, I want to see that bow. I may take a photo with the 6 footer on the 12 foot wreath with me standing beside it.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

David I would ask to have Vickerman inspect the foliage on any of the Grand Teton line. Out of the three foliage types I bought samples of the Teton were the only ones that I had an issue with. The wires inside the foliage were so rigid they were unworkable. They realized they had an issue and refunded my money. The Cheyenne & Camdon Fir I ordered I really liked. Their warranties make make other companies one year/six week deal look like a joke. The Cheyenne is not as nice as the one from NE but it will still be an easy sell and it's nice to know your working with a company that actually has some skin in the game.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
David I would ask to have Vickerman inspect the foliage on any of the Grand Teton line. Out of the three foliage types I bought samples of the Teton were the only ones that I had an issue with. The wires inside the foliage were so rigid they were unworkable. They realized they had an issue and refunded my money. The Cheyenne & Camdon Fir I ordered I really liked. Their warranties make make other companies one year/six week deal look like a joke. The Cheyenne is not as nice as the one from NE but it will still be an easy sell and it's nice to know your working with a company that actually has some skin in the game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I saw the Teton years back at their booth at the Dallas markets. Was impressed then, but since then, on here and elsewhere I have heard the Teton is no longer a real commercial line. I am hoping the 12 foot is not part of that. I liked the look of the Cheyenne foliage better, and am hoping the frame and foliage on that do well. Will try to take photos of front and back. Coastwise they charge more for Teton, so there must be something to it.
Posted via Mobile Device