Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

retiring 10 year old Husqvarna 6125, what to get? I mow 5 acres

I know, I know, but I haven't checked for several years, so I'm a bit out of the loop, and want to know what to avoid as much as what might be best.

10-12k to spend, suspension is a must, 60 in minimum.

Looking closely at the 2013 Scag Cheetah with either 27 or 31 hp Kawa -$9,999. to 10,999. (Did Kawa work out its big block problems?)

Just put 800 hours on the Husqvarna in ten years, but it was a hard 800 hours, most of 5 acres is converted cow pasture. I am bad about taking care of equipment. The Husqvarna held up very well, just replaced spindles, belts, blades and one hydro hose, but I hate the dealer.

How about your favorite and one reason why?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

You say a converted cow pasture. How "converted" is it? I have a 1.6 acre lot behind my house that is nothing but heavy field grass and I too am not real good at keeping it mowed. Before I got my tractor I had to cut it with my Great Dane Surfer. The mower would have been up to the task if I could have raised the blade to 5+ inches, but being an older model, I couldn't and I wore that mower out. (That's why I'm picking up a lightly used JD Z920A tomorrow night.) I ended up buying a Ford 1510 tractor with a bush hog and a finish mower. I wouldn't dream of taking the finish mower out there but the bush hog loves it. The bush hog is slow but it does the job.

The Scag would probably be a good choice but you might also want to look at something at the upper end of the Z900 series from John Deere or a Kubota. 5 acres of cow pasture is going to be tough on any mower other than a bush hog. Have you considered a diesel?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You might be able to get a Ferris 3100 with the Vanguard big block in that price range and it has full suspension. Don't expect to go fast though.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a lot of maintenance for only 800 hours.

Just pick yourself up an exmark lazer or Toro, same company, and you will be more than happy. The Kolher will last 2500 hours without and issues.

I buy a new one every two years, put on 1200 hours and sell for half of what I paid. I also finance it for 24 months, 0 down and 0% interest. It ends up costing me 100.00 a week during the mowing season and we do $4000.00 a week in mowing. We cut for 31 weeks. Also get to deduction on the taxes. I never had an issue with less than 1200 hours. We also change the oil weekly.

Good Luck
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I got the Z920A Saturday and brought it home and my son and I cut the 1.6 acre 'lawn' in a little more than an hour, saving us about 1/2 over doing it with the Great Dane. Then I went out to our back lot and mowed the hill which is just a big pile of dirt that was removed from the pond the next door neighbor put in many years ago. The guy that I bought the lot from had planned on using it for fill when he built his house but his plans changed and I ended up buying the lot. Anyway, it's very heavy field grass and I raised the blades up to 4 1/2" and it cut it just fine. It did leave a few stragglers but the blades are very dull and we didn't sharpen them before starting to mow our place. The mower never bogged down and it only scalped it 2 places but the surface of the hill is pretty rough up there and there were couple of places where one side of the mower would go down in a rut and cause the blades to scalp.

Just a little excited to use our new toy, uhhhhh, TOOL I guess...
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippper1 View Post
I know, I know, but I haven't checked for several years, so I'm a bit out of the loop, and want to know what to avoid as much as what might be best.

10-12k to spend, suspension is a must, 60 in minimum.

Looking closely at the 2013 Scag Cheetah with either 27 or 31 hp Kawa -$9,999. to 10,999. (Did Kawa work out its big block problems?)

Just put 800 hours on the Husqvarna in ten years, but it was a hard 800 hours, most of 5 acres is converted cow pasture. I am bad about taking care of equipment. The Husqvarna held up very well, just replaced spindles, belts, blades and one hydro hose, but I hate the dealer.

How about your favorite and one reason why?

Thanks

Homeowner here, with a brand new Cheetah. (three cuts in, on 3.5 acres of property).

Before I purchased the Cheetah, it took me right at 4.4 hours to cut the property (cutting at 31/2 ") with a JD345 and a Kubota with 72" groomer. Both were very slow cutting, but provided a very nice cut.

I felt that 4.4 hours to cut grass was just "too long". The Cheetah (61" - 31 Kawasaki) on the second and third cut (after I learned how to use it) allowed me to cut the property at 1.5 hours. Yes, I was very surprised, of the cut and the time it took....

The Cheetah allows me to cut (a height of 3.5") "very well", at a faster pace, with no grass stragglers left behind.

I went one step further, and had the dealer install the Scag optional suspension seat on the Cheetah. I feel it puts the Cheetah suspension performance way over the top...!!!!

I love it......

With your five acres, I don't think you would be happy with anything under 31 Kawasaki.....