Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question 32" Zero Turn For Mowing Small Lawns

Hello all, I am considering buying a 32" zero turn for mowing a few larger lawns that we have on our residential route because the push mower mowing on bigger lawns is really getting annoying for us. I need a 32" because I need it to fit through 36" gates. I don't want to get any walk behinds like the Toro Turfmaster, Ferris or Wright 32'' walk behinds because I want to sit down.
$7,500 for a 32'' Wright stander is just outrageous for about 15 lawns IMO and it's a stander, which I don't want anyways.

As far as I know my only choices would be residential zero-turns and those are the Toro SS3200 and the Husqvarna RZ3016 which is a 30''

I want to know if there are any other choices besides those two and if they are commercial or residential. Thank you very much!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Porcupine, not too many choices in that size, I would just get a walk-behind, I think a 32" rider is a waste, very narrow, will be terrible on only slope, likely rut, etc. Just my opinion, ferris 32" hydrocut is a good option, I feel a rider should be atleast 40" to make it practical.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I could probably do out with a sulky if I really needed to... How much are they? I have heard that the HydroCut is really good too! I think you've got me on to something

Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

According to the Exmark 2013 catalog, the Metro (Model MG481KA322P) is a 32" cut. It is a walk behind though, like stated above, the choices are slim at this size.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Hey Porcupine, not too many choices in that size, I would just get a walk-behind, I think a 32" rider is a waste, very narrow, will be terrible on only slope, likely rut, etc. Just my opinion, ferris 32" hydrocut is a good option, I feel a rider should be atleast 40" to make it practical.
I started researching and I found a sit down sulky... http://www.havenerent.com/index.php?...id=9&Itemid=96

Pretty Cool Eh?

Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & T Landscaping View Post
According to the Exmark 2013 catalog, the Metro (Model MG481KA322P) is a 32" cut. It is a walk behind though, like stated above, the choices are slim at this size.
I LOVE the ECS controls!! But 2 things... I don't like the service at the eXmark dealer and it's a fixed deck.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A sulky is in your way on small jobs. I was not happy with a small rider on res jobs, but a small z sounds like what you want and it will do fine. The larger the tire the better they are. It was terrible "joy" riding my buddy's little cubby. I think it was 40ish". It has a 20 something Briggs engine but the dang deck belt slipped terrible(and was why he asked me to look it over) It had no adjustment so we finagled it tighter with some "precise" bending and hammering. The little tires wouldn't barely turn it around on anything other than level ground. It was touchy steering and rough going. Still I had the same thought with our last big Z. I didn't want to stand or walk when I could sit and I am glad I bought another Z. Also the little cubby didn't load on trailers very well from the deck hitting and hanging up on the trailer he said. Food for thought.
Get yourself a little Z, I would do the same if I was you.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have 32" ferris hydro cut. Awesome back yard mower and for when lawns are too wet for the larger mowers. Leaves a great cut. I really need to get a mulch kit for mine.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah 32 ferris is your best bet, it isn't a floating deck, but is easily adjusted, I think you need a 36" exmark for floating deck, but it would be belt drive, or a 36 TT which is pricey. Best bang for the buck is ferris 32" I think new they are 3500, there is lots of used ones on Kijiji for like 2500ish. I wouldn't use a sulky with it though, because you still have to steer it manually because its only a single hydro, but steering is almost effortless as the front end is very light and the hydro makes it easy to forward and reverse. If you want a bigger WB I have a 48" Turf Tracer, with 17hp Kaw, electric start and power OCDC for sale for $2500.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
A sulky is in your way on small jobs. I was not happy with a small rider on res jobs, but a small z sounds like what you want and it will do fine. The larger the tire the better they are. It was terrible "joy" riding my buddy's little cubby. I think it was 40ish". It has a 20 something Briggs engine but the dang deck belt slipped terrible(and was why he asked me to look it over) It had no adjustment so we finagled it tighter with some "precise" bending and hammering. The little tires wouldn't barely turn it around on anything other than level ground. It was touchy steering and rough going. Still I had the same thought with our last big Z. I didn't want to stand or walk when I could sit and I am glad I bought another Z. Also the little cubby didn't load on trailers very well from the deck hitting and hanging up on the trailer he said. Food for thought.
Get yourself a little Z, I would do the same if I was you.
Yeah, that's exactly the way I'm thinking because I want a Z because I like to sit while mowing and the Toro 3200SS has fairly large wheels.

KrazyKajun - I still don't know how much they are because LocalLawnCare.ca hasn't replied yet. And I need him to reply because he is in my price area. And then I'll see....