Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
The WBs weigh something similar to those small Zs, plus if you use a sulky, then rutting is not something youll avoid with e WB!

Im currently researching the same thing, Im quite sure now I've narrowed it down to the husky 30", its the only one I can leave the catcher on the back but just removed the chute to get through gates. Its also 100 lbs lighter than the timecutter, lighter is important for me with residential lawns to avoid rutting. My motive for a new purchase is to make work easier in the heat of summer as well as get through it quicker, so man handling a WB isn't going to be a great deal different, actually more work than a 21" SP.

A stand behind would be good, however they are too expensive as you say! I know this is just as expensive but have you looked at the Ferris Evolution, it prob doesn't suit though I think its 36" & you need to get through 36" gates.
Yes I'm going to stick to my point of a Zero-Turn and the RZ3016 has a Briggs Engine which I don't like besides the Vanguards... The Toro 32" has a Toro Premium engine since 2012 but my dealer has one with a 15hp Kohler from 2011 (the first year the 32" model came out)

There's no way I'm gonna pay $7,500 for a Stand-On being a 32" (Unless it was covered in gold LOL!!) Like I mentioned before. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLandscape View Post
If you are really dead set on an ~32'' cut ZTR, there is the Dixon SpeedZTR 30'' or the Snapper 150Z with the 33'' deck, as well as the choices you mentioned above.

Our Snapper rider with the 33'' deck lasted 17 years of a lot of use before it cracked around the spindle...but we're getting a new deck put on and a major tuneup so it'll probably go for another 15 years depending on how the engine holds up.
No Dixon dealers around here and I like the Snapper I'll have to see about that. I could probably forget that it's a Briggs if the mower is good to me

Last edited by Porcupine Lawn and Snow; 07-14-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Gravely compact pro. Nicest 34" Z you'll find and it's commercial duty.

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-tu...s/default.aspx
I'm going to check price on that one... Thanks guys! Keep them coming

Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So I don't hear it later from you, the smaller Z is terrible early morning and when even slightly wet. Also clover in the shade will have enough moisture in it that you will spin. Forget going up hills that are clover covered. I would still choose to sit over standing any day, I want you to be as informed as I can help you to be. Also the smaller cheap Zs have dirt cheap tires on them and that doesn't help the cause at all. I do not have an answer as to what is good and what is bad. Also I bought the Toro new last year and I don't wanna be biased. It was what I thought to be the best value under 10K. I drove all I could before I bought. The big gasser Deere was 14K but it was so awesome I cannot put into words. If Deere had 0% I would have gone for it too.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm weighing my options right now because everyone has gave me more choices than I originally had. Because now I have a 34" commercial, 33" residental, 30" residental, and a 32" residental to choose between.. I'm going to start researching what will be the best fit for me. Keep these suggestions coming!!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone is mentioning rutting. That can be reduced with slightly wider tires. There was a thread on the gravely ztr that was informative. Could have been the same thread but there was a review and talkj about wider tires that barely cleared the frame.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonny9 View Post
Everyone is mentioning rutting. That can be reduced with slightly wider tires. There was a thread on the gravely ztr that was informative. Could have been the same thread but there was a review and talkj about wider tires that barely cleared the frame.
I think the tires are the widest point on the husky, so wider tires will equate to a wider machine, limiting gate access some more.

Lowering tire pressure might be the best bet.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I think the tires are the widest point on the husky, so wider tires will equate to a wider machine, limiting gate access some more.

Lowering tire pressure might be the best bet.
Yeah but sometimes it's risky to lower the tire pressure because if you don't do it right you can mess up your mower by scalping because these 32-34" Z's don't have anti scalp wheels.

So if that is the case then you'll just push mow or not mow at all

Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorcupineLawnCare View Post
Yeah but sometimes it's risky to lower the tire pressure because if you don't do it right you can mess up your mower by scalping because these 32-34" Z's don't have anti scalp wheels.

So if that is the case then you'll just push mow or not mow at all
Yea good point! However you should be able to compensate by raising the deck height. It your pitch is thrown off, then with any luck the pitch will be adjustable. Or you could go as far as to add anti scalpers.

If theres one thing Ive learnt, manus don't make a perfect mower for everyone, so modifying has become a necessity.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yea good point! However you should be able to compensate by raising the deck height. It your pitch is thrown off, then with any luck the pitch will be adjustable. Or you could go as far as to add anti scalpers.

If theres one thing Ive learnt, manus don't make a perfect mower for everyone, so modifying has become a necessity.
Yes!! I will not mow when wet at all, no matter what. Good night!
Keep the suggestions coming!!