Register free!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One zone getting stuck

I installed a Rainbird ESP mod 3 yrs ago at this house now I m having one zone lets say 4 getting hung up (8 total) . It goes from 1-4 and 4 stays on till reg duration of all 8 zones finish
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's the valve. Not the controller. Diaphragm, solenoid, debris in valve. Best advice is to replace it and be done, if you're not sure how to troubleshoot it.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just replaced it though. Yes I know how to check it. Haven't had time to go back out there this week been busy. But preparing to tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I just replaced it though. Yes I know how to check it. Haven't had time to go back out there this week been busy. But preparing to tomorrow.
If you replaced the valve, then you need to do more thorough troubleshooting with the proper equipment.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you just run any one zone above 4 does it come on? Does it go off with that zone then?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I installed a Rainbird ESP mod 3 yrs ago at this house now I m having one zone lets say 4 getting hung up (8 total) . It goes from 1-4 and 4 stays on till reg duration of all 8 zones finish
Posted via Mobile Device
It seems funny that once the controller sequences through, the faulty zone closes. I tend to wonder why?

A master valve would shut the water off at the end of run times but, if the valve was stuck open by rights the faulty valve should run when the controller operates next. I.E., it should be running with all zones on the next sequence.

My thoughts are (as always) to eliminate the electrical portion of the system from the equation. It's possible the number 4 valve wire is shorting to a second common wire if there are 2 commons. I see this often where there are front and back yards, controller in the center of the run. I actually see this whenever multiple commons are used in any sized controller.

It's easy enough to test the system with a DMM and prove or disprove my theory. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1idejim....

There are 2 commons.

I was busy fixing some other issues that were more important at the time. The owner actually brought it to my attention " not all the zones came on". I found that odd considering I could set clock on Auto and manaully punch through them.. ( they have these zones timed at 1 hour each , so i am not hanging around till all 8 finish, if you know what I mean. But thats the other reason I didn't realize anything funny going on. I saw one turn one before i left and that was it, it never swtiched to two.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how ever that one zone when i was punching through was only zone I can't really see from controller. I thought it came on because someo of the sprinklers overlap on that area...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you manually opened the master valve and see what happens?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Master valve is the lake pump
Posted via Mobile Device