Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2003, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who here is REALLY good with Quickbooks?

Let me state what I am looking for in more detail; I need to talk to someone (via email) about how to use Quickbooks to keep track of daily expenses, bank deposits, tax payments, bills, etc.

Up until today I've always used Quickbooks just for invoicing and keeping track of customers' payment histories, balances, etc. I think that's pretty common. Most guys I know use Quickbooks JUST for this reason and nothing more.

There was a time when I used Quickbooks to do my payroll for me as well. But I don't do that any more.

But as of today I want to begin using quickbooks to track EVERYTHING! That way, I can go in any time I want and create a P&L, See exactly what bank account balances are, figure my current tax obligations, etc. My CPA recommends it too. And although it seems to be a MAJOR PITA, I think I am going to give it a shot. Frankly, I don't see any other way to create current P&Ls on demand. Keeping a big box of receipts and counting them all up at the end of the year works for end-of-the-year tax stuff but does nothing for short term needs, like quarterlies, P&Ls, etc.

So is there someone here who uses Quickbooks in this way? Someone who diligently inserts every check, every expense, every payment, every bill, etc. into Quickbooks?

Because I need to talk to you. I have a few questions as I learn how to do this all.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-26-2003, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can try to help you out, I don't find it to be that hard, just a little experimenting. I am sure i don't have quite the business operations that you do.

You may email me at s_marquart@hotmail.com make sure the subject includes "lawnsite" and i will give you more information.

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 02-26-2003, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be willing to try and help you. I do enter every expense,personal and business in QB Pro. It takes two separate files to do this. I have two years experience and my accountant is QB certified. Anything I don,t no he could help us with. There also is a web site you might find usefull. This link is to the forums.=http://quickbooksusers.com/.forums/index.php3?
This is too the site..http://quickbooksusers.com/
The first advise I can give you is to find a QB certified accountant in your area if you don't have one already. This step has helped me more than any other. The thing about QB is there is often times more than one way of entering transactions.You have to pick one and stick with it. I sit down every night and enter my info for the day while everything is still fresh in my mind. Once a week was to confusing for me but maybe thats just me. I can tell you where all my money goes right down to how much I spent on snacks for the week. E-Mail is leadarrows@hotmail.com I don't no for sure if I can help or not it depends on what you want to know. I am willing to try. Shoot me some questions and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by leadarrows; 02-26-2003 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been using QB since 1997. Add me to your email list and I can try to help. imow@snet.net
Old 02-26-2003, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks everyone for all the offers! I have another 2 personal email offers I got as well. I obviously can't talk to all of you. So please don't be offended if I don't contact you. Thanks again to everyone offering to help!

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-26-2003, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys keep me posted. My future wife will be doing all by QB work soon. I am sure she will have a ton of questions for you guys. I get by on the Quick Books but would like to learn all I can. Travis
Old 02-26-2003, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe we could actually post the questions and answers on the site. We have used QB for several years, but we are continually learning new things. I'm sure that many of us could learn and share many things if we all get to be part of the experience.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping
Old 02-26-2003, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of information on the Quickbooks site also. Go to this web address http://www.quickbooks.com/support/.

There are lots of answers here, you can search by topic. Pick
your version, then go to message boards.

The boards vary depending on the version you are using, but lots of good information here.

Like Doug said, I am always coming across something new that I can use.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Give me a shout if I can help you, Jim. I've been using it daily for about 6 years now. Email me at rspronck@aol.com. Currently we use Pro 2002.

And no, I won't be offended if you get ample help from the others that have offered. Good Luck.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Not an offer of help...but a question....what quickbooks is everyone using, I have looked into it and it appears that there is 3 or 4 versions, ie pro, contractor etc