Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Umm... they want a free envelope AND free postage...
Why not use Free Shipping.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZLawnPros View Post
If everybody was the same.... good lord life on this planet would be boring as heck. Borg anyone?

I really concur with Caddy Shack Lawn Care. Surrounding yourself with more folks that bling happiness and less that promote unhappiness is the way to go. But life isn't perfect and you have to have both in our profession. I enjoy giving unhappy people a reason to smile. When they see they can't beat you no matter what, It brings a fuzzy feeling to me and usually a thought or a crack of a smile to them. It's worth it.

I'm a very sharing and thoughtful owner in my opinion. I also reap the rewards of it as well. When you get life info from a client you can end up having a lot in common with them. I frequently get asked to functions for clients. Bar-B-Q's to dinners. Snow skiing to water-skiing. Fishing to cruising the Mississippi. Ice skating to roller skating. Work out partners to biking and rollerblading. Golfing to bowling. Softball leagues to soccer leagues. Motorcycling to car clubs. Flying to skydiving. My ole' lady is included in every aspect of this community as well.

Not only that, but I share and barter happiness and friendship or services for reciprocal things we may all need too. Need a chiropractor? Got one! Need a oral surgeon or dentist? Got one! Need a mechanic? Got one! Need a banker or lawyer or cpa(shivvers)? Got one! Need an ophthalmologist? Got one! Need an engineer or computer guru? Got one! See where I'm going with this?

Due unto others as you wish to be done upon. Works like a charm if you bring a good vibe and a smile to the table no matter what the other person throws at you. Never let up. Build a community together and you will all stand strong.
That all sounds wonderful....roller skating with a customer and all.....but I generally try to avoid my customers at all costs because the results are usually bad: 1) they waste my time talking about stuff i could care less about....2) they cost me money while my crew sits out in the truck doing nothing.... Or 3) complain and/or ask me to do additional services for free....usually starting out with a "would you mind...(fill in the blank)"...). Don't get me wrong, I'm a friendly guy and I would never do or say anything intentionally rude but personally I'd rather spend time with my wife and kids than on their front porch talking about their abusive ex- husband, about the weather or how their car is in the shop. Sorry I don't care.

Last edited by Tom-N-Texas; 07-28-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Great post

If only every LCO had this same outlook. It's unrealistic to expect all of your customers to be happy all the time. I have worked in various service industries and can tell you, great work = great customers. When I ran a pest control route back in the early 2000's, I only had complaints from customers whose problems weren't resolved, and was always willing to listen to their needs to get the job done, it was very gratifying knowing that when I left a service that I had met their needs. The lawn care industry is no different, and a lot of the services I provided then are carried over today. Get in and get the job done right the first time and 99% of the time you won't be getting a call back from them. Customers remember even the smallest mannerisms, and facial expressions, it means a lot to them at the end of the day that they have a professional working on their property.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Excellent customer service allows you to charge a premium price for an average product.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllawson View Post
Excellent customer service allows you to charge a premium price for an average product.
Until they find out their neighbor pays $10 less per week -- $40 less per month. Then all bets are off. I believe the best customer service/job security = showing up every week like you're supposed to and cutting their lawn nicely for a fair price. Anything over and above that will either take money out of your pocket, waste your time, keeping you away from your home and family, or both. I realize there are two schools of thought on this...so I'm not saying I'm right regarding the mow-and-get-the-heck-outta-there philosophy -- different strokes for different folks. My type of service will appeal to a certain kind of customer while yours will appeal to another kind. In general though, the laws of economics say that the higher your price is, everything else being equal,
the fewer customers you will have.

Last edited by Tom-N-Texas; 07-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
..... Sorry I don't care.
And, the attitude will be easily noticed by the customer.

LS is populated with threads with LCOs complaining dealers "not caring." If LCOs are savvy enough to pick up the "don't care" attitude, why won't a customer pick up the "don't care" attitude as well? The "don't care" isn't constrained to the latest social party, the latest achievement of their student, or the loss of a loved one. It extends into the work scope as well. We don't work in isolation.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
And, the attitude will be easily noticed by the customer.

LS is populated with threads with LCOs complaining dealers "not caring." If LCOs are savvy enough to pick up the "don't care" attitude, why won't a customer pick up the "don't care" attitude as well? The "don't care" isn't constrained to the latest social party, the latest achievement of their student, or the loss of a loved one. It extends into the work scope as well. We don't work in isolation.

Yup.

Like I said...

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if the "problems" people here complain about are brought on by themselves in some way.
As I'm out working, I see a lot - and I mean a LOT of "professionals" out there.
There are very few that I'd ever allow to set foot on my property though based on simple observation.
The way they act, look, work, talk...

Those HAVE to be the guys with all the complaints.

Last edited by OakNut; 07-30-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yup.

Like I said...

As I'm out working, I see a lot - and I mean a LOT of "professionals" out there.
There are very few that I'd ever allow to set foot on my property though based on simple observation.
The way they act, look, work, talk...

Those HAVE to be the guys with all the complaints.
I agree. Just go to a gas station when a typical landscaping crew is getting fuel/snacks and listen to the way they talk. F-bombs while wearing company shirts is a no-no.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I appreciate my customers as a whole and actually think I have gotten a little too close to some of them for what a customer relationship should be. That said, I find it hard not to show my irritation when a customer tries to dictate my schedule or cut off weekly mowing when we have the 1st dry week of the summer after you've bailed hay for them all spring. I live in an area where contracts are unheard of but I do try to lay down ground rules before I start working for someone. A lady came out a few weeks ago and said she didn't think her yard needed cut that week even though it had grown several inches since the previous week. i kindly told her that was up her, but I would be raising my price if she asked me to skip weeks of mowing when it was growing that much. She let me go. I was happy, as I know that would have been a turbulant business relationship. I've been able to weed out most of these types the last couple of yrs but I still put up to it to some degree. I'm trying to learn the art of running the biz my way, without showing irritation with the customer at the same time. Older folks can be a challenge because you feel like you're trying to reason with a little child sometimes. But I try to imagine how they must feel dealing with aging and health problems.
Customers don't dictate my schedule--I dictate my schedule. If a client tells me that I need to be present for work on a certain day, I usually respond with, "I would really like to be there but already have made commitments for that day." Remember, YOU own your business, not your clients.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tom-n-Texas . . . . Amen!

I'm 64 and physically cannot do a lot of things anymore.

Most misery in life is optional.