Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

This is actually an interesting topic.

I don't hate my customers by any stretch but I am sure that they understand exactly how service works before they sign up. I'm extremely honest with them and any red flags from either side should be worked out upon signup.

From there I never want to hear from them until they sign up again; that includes compliments.

I run my business for money and plan absolutely every part of the grass cutting visit to be efficient right down to the way I gas up my mowers.

This is why I'm able to cut, trim and bag 41 yards (.2 acre) in one day by myself.

It would be a slap in the face to put all that thought into efficiency planning and then sit around and talk all day. If I wanted to sit and talk I'd work for a union or the gov't, but I wanna make money so I bear down and work.

I give that body language when I show up and customers respect that I'm there to get in and out, and they even really commend the work ethic.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post

I don't hate my customers by any stretch but I am sure that they understand exactly how service works before they sign up. I'm extremely honest with them and any red flags from either side should be worked out upon signup.

From there I never want to hear from them until they sign up again; that includes compliments.

I run my business for money and plan absolutely every part of the grass cutting visit to be efficient right down to the way I gas up my mowers.

This is why I'm able to cut, trim and bag 41 yards (.2 acre) in one day by myself.

It would be a slap in the face to put all that thought into efficiency planning and then sit around and talk all day. If I wanted to sit and talk I'd work for a union or the gov't, but I wanna make money so I bear down and work.

I give that body language when I show up and customers respect that I'm there to get in and out, and they even really commend the work ethic.
Right there with you. This is all about the money for me. I'm not doing this to make friends. I am just too busy to chit chat. Dont get me wrong, I think I'm friendly, and I'm constantly reminding myself that these people are paying me and therefore i should be gracious, grateful and thankful, but at the end of the day every last detail of my daily schedule is geared towards making the most money possible with the least time and effort. I'm already working till 6 or 7 every night....no sense making this have to be harder than it already is.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Be courteous,dependable and reasonable and word of mouth will get you all the customers you can handle. remember every day is what you make it.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post

Wow what kind of machine are you using to cut 41 lawns a day solo!??!?

Even at a quarter acre at 10 minutes a lawn with 5 minutes travel time, that's 10.25 hours with no breaks none stop.

It's possible, highly unlikely...but possible if your route is that tight and your that efficient. I just don't see where you fit 8.2 acres of clippings on the truck!

But anyway, I live by the law of attraction. Which states "like attracts like"...everything in your life you attract. To me the difference between a job and a career is not money, the difference is when money can't buy you from it.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Wow what kind of machine are you using to cut 41 lawns a day solo!??!?

Even at a quarter acre at 10 minutes a lawn with 5 minutes travel time, that's 10.25 hours with no breaks none stop.

It's possible, highly unlikely...but possible if your route is that tight and your that efficient. I just don't see where you fit 8.2 acres of clippings on the truck!

But anyway, I live by the law of attraction. Which states "like attracts like"...everything in your life you attract. To me the difference between a job and a career is not money, the difference is when money can't buy you from it.
Definitely has been done. Just work the full day 14hr day from 7am to 9pm within the hours of the noise bylaw. Can't tell you what kind of equipment, that would give away my advantage!

But my clippings go into my trailer. Probably take off about 800lb of clippings in those lawns? Everything structured for efficiency. I think about 80-100km of city, residential street drive distance throughout that whole route.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I dunno, I mean I wouldn't want every client to come out to talk my ear off, but a quick chat once in a while is good for business no matter how tight you like to run things. I'd rather get ten minutes behind and have that personal relationship with my clients than treat them as nothing more than check-writers.

And dogs. Dogs make my day.
Any day I get to stop to pet a dog for a second (and maybe chat for a few) is a good day.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I dunno, I mean I wouldn't want every client to come out to talk my ear off, but a quick chat once in a while is good for business no matter how tight you like to run things. I'd rather get ten minutes behind and have that personal relationship with my clients than treat them as nothing more than check-writers.

And dogs. Dogs make my day.
Any day I get to stop to pet a dog for a second (and maybe chat for a few) is a good day.
Amen to that. I have a customer with a German Shepherd. He's a big lunky thing. Every time she comes to the door she tries to stop him. I tell her to let him go, I'm ready for him. LOL Half the time he'll knock me on my azz.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the extraneous chat time is the best $/hr of the season. End-of-season bonus payments ... It makes the $60/hr rates look cheap!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a lot of people come on here to vent about a bad customer they've had.

I really appreciate most of my customers. A lot of them are extremely kind and grateful.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
I think a lot of people come on here to vent about a bad customer they've had.

I really appreciate most of my customers. A lot of them are extremely kind and grateful.
Totally agree. A lot of us on here either vent or use the site as a resource to solve problems with customers, equipment, whatever. It probably makes most of us seem more negative than we are.

I appreciate the majority of my customers as well as I'm sure most guys on here do, but a handful of PITA customers can ruin an otherwise good day/week from time to time. And its not just about being thick skinned or not as I've heard mentioned before. Dealing with obnoxious people can be draining.
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator