Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Grassy weed treatment additional charge?

Hey guys.

I am curious what the industry norm is for crabgrass and grassy weed treatments. Do you charge for additional liquid applications of post-emergent throughout the year? The spring fertilization with a pre-emergent is what we offer as part of our 5 application lawn program.

I'm sure there are variables, but how does one keep up with crabgrass and such, it is extremely costly to treat with Drive xlr8 or something similar, on top of spraying a spiked 3 way mix.

Any information in regards to this topic would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you, Chris
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The key to avoiding these costly chemicals is prevention: I.e. A pre-emergent that targets crabgrass.
I only charge additionally on my spraying contracts for dalliagrass treatment.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This wet Spring exaggerated the loss of pre-m applied too early... around here the CG pre-m could easily be applied during May and those that apply in April generally lose coverage by the time the CG actually germinates...
Over time the CG should not be germinating any more once your lawn outgrows the need for dethatching, aeration or anything else that stirs up the dirt...
Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK82 View Post
Hey guys.

I am curious what the industry norm is for crabgrass and grassy weed treatments. Do you charge for additional liquid applications of post-emergent throughout the year? The spring fertilization with a pre-emergent is what we offer as part of our 5 application lawn program.

I'm sure there are variables, but how does one keep up with crabgrass and such, it is extremely costly to treat with Drive xlr8 or something similar, on top of spraying a spiked 3 way mix.

Any information in regards to this topic would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you, Chris

As a customer, having a company tell me I'm being charged more to control weeds would not go over well. When someone signs up for service, they expect no weeds and green grass. They don't care what type of weed it is. When fertilizing in the spring, make sure you apply the fert with pre-em at the highest rate in the problem areas (along driveway, sidewalk and curbs).

Keep notes on your lawns, where do the weeds breakout so next year you know how to treat it.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Feel free to charge extra if it costs you extra in chemicals or time. Why work for free if someone calls you so late the pre-emergent crabgrass application can no longer be applied?
Meet your competition--but--it is not likely anyone else would want to do extra treatments for free either.
However you should inform the customer if this may be needed at the late sign-up date, do not promise control you cannot deliver. At least mention in your literature something about no crabgrass control after May 15 or whatever is the date in your town. Or mention that additional sprays at cost may be needed, for late starters. Make sure they understand...or...just eat it and increase customer satisfaction.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think there is a nom. I have seen some on here that do lawn treatments very cheap and do not do post treatment for grassy weeds that is extra.

And some have a full service treatmenst that takes care of all weed type applications.

Now me I will spot treat any thing for free but if your yard has got way out of control before I start on it. A blanket application is a extra app.

Charles Cue
Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The way I look at is that it is not my fault it rained so much that the pre-emergent didn't last. Why should I be on the hook for break through due to weather? It seems that all post emergent herbicides for grassy weeds and sedges are very pricey and blanket apps cost a fortune...I'm not eating that cost.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On the majority of the pre-emergent labels I've seen they state that the pre-emergent control will last between 90 - 120 days. I NEVER see it last 120 days and most of my customers haven't either. I typically see them breaking down at the 90 day mark so if you're applying it in mid April, expect it to be gone by mid July then watch the crab come in with the tide.

To prevent this, we've got the majority of our customers (both business owners and home owners) using 19-0-6 Dimension twice in the early part of the season for rounds 1 and 2. What a difference this makes! The service calls for crabgrass complaints for these companies has decreased to the point where they're non-existent and the calls they do get usually are for people confusing Dallisgrass for Crabgrass. Our homeowner customers are happy too 'cause they don't need to deal with Crabgrass from mid July onward and they won't have to reseed either.

I do two applications of 19-0-6 Dimension on my yard every year (April 15th and May 27th) and I haven't had a piece of crabgrass in my lawn in over 5 years. Call me dumb, call me whatever, but it's a "no brainer" to me. Spend a little extra money on round 2 to add a second application of a pre-emergent and keep your customers happy for a whole season (at least in terms of controlling crabgrass), or spend money later on products such as Drive 75, Drive XLR8, or Quincloric to control it later and have miserable customers. The choice is yours!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
On the majority of the pre-emergent labels I've seen they state that the pre-emergent control will last between 90 - 120 days. I NEVER see it last 120 days and most of my customers haven't either. I typically see them breaking down at the 90 day mark so if you're applying it in mid April, expect it to be gone by mid July then watch the crab come in with the tide.

To prevent this, we've got the majority of our customers (both business owners and home owners) using 19-0-6 Dimension twice in the early part of the season for rounds 1 and 2. What a difference this makes! The service calls for crabgrass complaints for these companies has decreased to the point where they're non-existent and the calls they do get usually are for people confusing Dallisgrass for Crabgrass. Our homeowner customers are happy too 'cause they don't need to deal with Crabgrass from mid July onward and they won't have to reseed either.

I do two applications of 19-0-6 Dimension on my yard every year (April 15th and May 27th) and I haven't had a piece of crabgrass in my lawn in over 5 years. Call me dumb, call me whatever, but it's a "no brainer" to me. Spend a little extra money on round 2 to add a second application of a pre-emergent and keep your customers happy for a whole season (at least in terms of controlling crabgrass), or spend money later on products such as Drive 75, Drive XLR8, or Quincloric to control it later and have miserable customers. The choice is yours!
Hmmmm.....2 applications of dimension? What rate? 2 apps of pre emergent cost money too
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I only do I app of pre and I don't see a big break though problem one here and one there . Mostly in the bare spots where there's no grass. I haven't used a 1/2 bottle of XLR8 in 2 years. And I use it for violets some times to rotate chemicals

Charles Cue