Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea they fit s10's. They are from a 1982 z28. I refinished them myself.
Really the only thing i'll maybe change is the trailer and soon the mower. If i were to get a new truck it would be the same kind but newer for the good MPG's i get.

I just saw the commercial for the 2014 silverado and it's really nice but there is no way i could buy that ha. I really wouldn't want to unless i was a bigger business. I'm looking into getting an older (late 70's early 80's) trans am that i can bring to car shows and drive around on nice days. I love those muscle cars.

And for the trailer i actually took the fenders off that were on it when i got it. Looked better and the other ones which were wood were not in that good of shape.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I think as of now, if your truck suits your current needs, then keep it and upgrade the mower and trailer. That alone allows you to really grow and expand your business. Then I would buy an HD truck. That is just me though.
Stihl HS 56C
Troy bilt Backpack blower 32cc
Echo ES-1000 hand blower (not currently working)
Assorted hand tools

Have 8 accounts (+1 vacationer) and continue to grow.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that if the business really starts kicking off and it will make a profit to me as in being able to haul bigger things then i'll look into a bigger truck.
But for now it's working great. This winter i'm planning on getting into mechanics work at a car shop so mowing will be a great side and extra money and with a bigger mower it will take no time at all.

I have someone that said they are gonna try and come look at my mower tonight and work out a deal. Which means i'm gonna try and get another one over the weekend from the few i have lined up.

And someone else called me that owns a shop that sells equipment, they have an exmark 48" 12.5 hp. Possibly work out a trade in plus cash deal with him. But that won't be ready until tuesday.

So i'll see what happens. I'm hoping to sell it tonight and i'm kinda into that Exmark i posted the link to yesterday. That's at a dealer and it's right at my price range i wanna spend.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Took a couple shots of today. These are only two accounts i did.

This one is a nice size, but man is it such a pain to do. Bumpiest yard i've ever been on. It is so uncomfortable to mow. But it comes out pretty good in the end.

Back yard:

Front:

And this one is from my old neighborhood. I always enjoy doing this yard cause it mows really nice. I just use the 21" mower. Nice and easy to do.
The stripes are a little eh in a few spots cause i was wiping my cool rag on my face to cool off. Heat index was 105* today!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Sold the mower today.

I have a walk behind i'm pretty interested in that i wanna go look at/buy on sunday.
It's a 48" bob cat ransomes. Comes with a grass catcher and a sulky! Looks clean and in good shape.
He said it just has a slight surge at low idle speed. Most likely a carb issue which is a 20 minute fix.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/grd/3936728129.html
Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Ended up getting the mower above this morning. Got it for $600.

The right brake needed attention because the top brake pad bolt was broken. I fixed that already so now it's just on to cosmetics and a carb cleaning at some point.
The deck looks like the front portion was rusting and someone welded it a little. So i'll grind those down. Sand all the surface rust down and put a new coat of paint on it.

Belts are in good condition. Gets up and goes pretty quick. Starts very easy. Just had an oil change with new filter. Fuel filter and gas line. Tires are good. I adjusted the deck height to 2 1/2". It was lower than that. I hate cutting low cause it burns out the grass and you end up hitting stuff.

Does anyone know where i can find out the year of it by typing in the serial/model number?
It would also be really helpful if i could find some schematics too.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I cut with it today and it's working good. Only thing is that up inclines the right wheel doesn't pull that strong. the left is fine. Do i have to adjust the rod coming down from the handle?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Well today was the first day out mowing. I got the right wheel issue sorted out by just tightening up the belt tension by the rod. The brake could use a little more adjustment but it's working great.
I can't believe how well this thing cuts and i got really nice stripes doing a field in a trailer park i do work in. All i did was give the blades a quick run over last night with the dremel and a grind disk and that's it.

Here was my first account of the day. Got a nice cut here.

And here is the field. I did another account before this but i forgot to snap a picture. I was in need of a cold iced tea ha

The lines hook a little to the left but i think they look great.

Do any of you move things that people leave in their yard? The first account i picture had some wood and all her patio chairs in the lawn next to the house, i just go around the stuff then trim around it the best i can. But some people always have junk in their yard.
The pool in that picture has this thin electrical line that is always sitting on the ground around the pool.But i can never see it till it's too late so it got all wrapped around my trimmer. That annoys me so much.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Got to mow a little this morning but looks like my day is shot. Thunderstorms and a lot of rain at once.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Did some work on the trailer on my day off. Cut my yard and then decided to get rid of the ugly brown color.
There was black and forest green laying around in the garage so that's what i used. Came out really good. Just gotta paint behind the wheels black and also the wheels are gonna be black.
Then there was also stain in the garage so i'm gonna sand the floor and stain it to protect it more. Let it dry overnight.

BEFORE:

AFTER: