Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2003, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Converting your logo over to vinyl....special format?

I was talking with 'ol Bob from postcard warehouse, and he suggested if I wanted to put my logo on a door hanger, they want it to be in a special format (.eps or .tiff). They said that they would do it for $100 and would send me a copy of it on CD. He said then if I wanted it on other media I would have it and would be ready to go.

Is this worth the $100? I really want to have vinyl lettering made for my truck and a large sign for the back of my trailer. Do those guys that convert your logo over to large signs need this format as well? I can see it being helpful for fliers, door hangers, postcards and such, but just was not sure if it is really needed for signs.

Thanks
MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-26-2003, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

It is worth having your logo in an .EPS format. Sometimes referred to as a vector-based file format. It is not necessary to produce a .TIF file though. They aren't as flexible. Any credible printer or sign maker can easily convert (or rasterize) an .EPS to .TIF image.

Usually, getting your logo in various formats is part of the logo development process. When we complete a logo project, we always provide the client with their logo artwork in a dozen or so PC and MAC formats. That way, they can do whatever they want with their logo without having to pay someone additional money to convert it.

From what I can tell by looking at your logo, $100 to create an .EPS file seems a little steep.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Walker,

I did a quick look and found that it can be converted by Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Do you know anyone who has or runs those programs?

You could also try this link

http://www.zdnetindia.com/downloads/info/10173680.html

Advanced Batch Converter does exactly what its title suggests, allowing you to easily convert multiple graphics files at the click of a button

Let me know if it does not work or you need help as I have both Illustrator and Photoshop.

Pete
Old 02-26-2003, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I may not be as easy as just using a program to convert the file type.

Without getting overly complicated, If the orginal artwork was created using a raster image editing program, you cannot just convert it to a vector image. Even if a program can save it as and .eps file, the core image is still raster and resolution dependent.

To get a true vector-based .eps file, the artwork needs to be recreated in a program like Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Turfmarketing, I think you are correct about being a little steep, there is not much to my logo (but that is the way I wanted it). I emailed the guy that designed it to see what formats he has to offer. I will recieve that format once I have sent payment and has been received. I like the logo, but if it does not come in the format that I need, then it's not much use to me, other than just printing out on my own computer.

gslam88, I sent you an email. Thanks for the link to the batch converter, but this does not help me in my situation.

Thanks again
MATT

www.progressivelawn.com

- Aristotle

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-26-2003, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Send me your logo.... Or, email it to me and I'll change it to what you want, or I'll scan it and send it back to you in any format you like... for free......
Pete
Old 02-26-2003, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not sure if all this will work, but we can try. I was sent the sample logo via email. I then just saved as .gif. I am sure the resolution is low and like turfmarketing said, just converting will probably not work. I won't mind trying though. I can attatch it here or I can try emailing it to you.

Thanks
MATT
Attached Images

www.progressivelawn.com

- Aristotle

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-26-2003, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yes walker-talker, it can be converted in adobe, corel etc. I would say I would do it for you, but I will not be back home for another week. If you can wait, I will do it for you. I would not pay $100. for 5 seconds worth of work... if you want to call hitting a couple of keys work!!

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 02-26-2003, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walker-talker
Not sure if all this will work, but we can try. I was sent the sample logo via email. I then just saved as .gif. I am sure the resolution is low and like turfmarketing said, just converting will probably not work. I won't mind trying though. I can attatch it here or I can try emailing it to you.

Thanks
MATT
I can change it right from this logo, but it's not good enough to blow up....... let me/us know what you want to do/??
Old 02-26-2003, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by walker-talker
I emailed the guy that designed it to see what formats he has to offer. I will receive that format once I have sent payment and has been received. I like the logo, but if it does not come in the format that I need, then it's not much use to me, other than just printing out on my own computer.[i][QUOTE]

Please don't take offense to this question but are you trying to keep from paying the person that designed your logo. The above post and a later one stating that you received a "sample" of your logo that is low resolution kind of makes it sound that way. If not please accept my apology for implying that you might do something like that

Last edited by Casey; 02-26-2003 at 10:41 PM.