Register free!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Tearing out sod for a park strip

Hi Guys I need some help on how to price excavating a parking strip for one of my mowing clients. The space to be excavated is 5 feet wide by 70 long. There is currently grass in it, so the grass and about 3 inches of soil need to be taken out and hauled off, about 6 inches total. I plan on renting a mini ex to help me tear it out. Is there a good formula or estimation tool to help me know what to charge? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sod cutter and mini or skid steer, would be my method. But I own a skid steer. Sod cutter if the sod is good shape, I can always use the sod.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought about using a sod cutter but I don't have any sod jobs lined up for a while, and I still need to take the soil down about 3 inches. I am thinking about pulling my dump trailer right up to the curb and with the mini ex just dump is strait into it. We are tearing it all out to put mulch in, she wants to cut back on water usage.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe guy View Post
We are tearing it all out to put mulch in, she wants to cut back on water usage.
That doesn't make any sense. Instead of just not watering, she's willing to spend thousands of dollars on this project? Not judging, just trying to understand.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

93chev I agree, but man people come up with some good ones. Maybe they like the look of mulch!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

By the way, I agree with the use of the mini-ex and dump trailer, if there's access. You can strip off 6 inches of soil with a mini-ex pretty quickly and evenly if you know what you're doing. If not, then a skid with a toothed busket would be my second choice. Sod cutter is too much work if you're going to throw the sod away.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't forget a swell factor. In the ground it's 6.5 yards but after you dig it out you're hauling 9 yards. So factor that in. You can dig it in a day, use whatever's cheaper, they both will do the job.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

93Chevy- I don't think she is worried about the cost to water it, more like she wants to do her part to save some water. Utah is going through a drought due to the lack of snow received in the mountains. The valleys and benches got a bunch of snow which made for an awesome plowing season. So with this bid should I treat it as a time and materials job?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking about 12-1500 to tear it out and haul it. Does that sound like its in the ball park? what do you think?