Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

bobcat procat

having issues with my procat 61 clumping in wet grass. if there is any dew whatsoever it clumps extremely bad. this has been going on for sometime now. cutting week old grass and some clumps are as big as a football. any ideas?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Other than getting a better mower, make sure the blades are sharp and high lift. Move a little faster. Try with discharge flap open. Lift the deck one click to let more air under there.
Sorry about the better mower comment, but it is what it is. I see a few Bobs here last couple years and they mow like crap. Let that Bobcat help pay for something better someday. Bobcat don't even make that thing. Compare it to a Bunton you will see. I ran a Snapper 61" for 3 years when I started and I was sure proud of that mower... then I got a Toro. You can have my old snapper lol.

You could always sleep in.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.buntonturf.com/ This should help
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What year bob cat do you have? Does it have the dura deck? If it has the blades the drop 1'' on both sides , you need to goto the bolt store and get a longer blade bolt and thick washers so it allows you to use the flat blades that has a lot more options. High lifts , super high lifts, low lifts , gator blades. all sorts of stuff. I think you said it had a 61'' deck so as long as you run a 21'' x 5/8 blade, you will have at least 5-6 options from oregon and 3-4 from rotary to play with. Just order some from you dealer or online and se what works best for you in your situation. Bob cats are good mowers. Some just have a biased opinion. If it doesn't have the newer dura deck- the chute opening is prolly only 12'' wide. So if thats the case- lower lifts will work better than high lifts since it can exit only so much debris / volume that the deck is designed for. The new deck is much better on volume of debris out of the deck. So just play around and see what you find and report back to us
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Um post a pic of your perfect Bobcat stripe. Maybe run a stripe up and down a hill for us with one. I am sure many good folks own many good Bobcats and make plenty of dollars that way. Here in IA I don't see it. The guys who own Bobcats are hacks and the job they do shows it. I'll see if I can catch one this week and get a pic for you to see. Usually they mow a church on Friday morning when I am out and about that way. no promises.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

blades

aroddy - will high lifts make that big of a difference? I love the mower except for the clumping issues. I have only run the stock blades or the g6. Ill try some tomorrow
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IIRC that G6 is a mulcher? I read on this forum a while back that those mulchers will beat the water out of grass and give all sorts of problems when wet. I have no experience with them, but it sounds very logical. Yes high lift blades will help. They will put more air into the mix. I hate to say it but sometimes with a Bober you will need to redo for a clean lawn. Hey man, even the best brands need a second pass at times. But you need more air with those clippings and I know this from first hand experience. I ONLY run high lift on the toro, because honestly it sucks without them. Only for leaves do I put the Toro Atomic(Mulching) blades on. And then I go go go WFO!!!! I think the guy talking about blade spacing has some firsthand Bober experience and sounds like it's worth a look. It is not easy to make a bargain brand cut like a real commercial mower. It simply is what it is and for $7K you cannot get what others get from a $10K+ machine. I respect that you might have put a lot of thought into your purchase and I know in time if you make it mowing you will learn like I did. The knowledge won't come until you learn the lessons of being really busy. Did you see Brent's new tree truck, I admire how smart those good folks must be.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sell several brands and we started Bobcat last year and with service on them rolling in, we've noticed the different between all the blades we stock for them. Our grass is prolly totally different than what you are mowing tho. Ours is only lush and thick from march - late may. then the heat sets in and we get dry. but yea it's def worth a try. We run nothing but high lifts on our Ferris / Snapper Pro and new bobcats with the dura deck.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

trust me high lifts will make a difference. i just switched the factory blades off my bobcat walk behind and put some oregon high lift mulching blades on and it barely clumps at all now in wet grass. mine has a duradeck.

I honestly disagree with the comment of only hacks use bobcat mowers. they are very good mowers for the price and are easy to service. No complaints whatsoever.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The dura deck is tons better than the older deck. It's crazy how much better a little design does. Way better than the old style bunton decks. Try the high lifts and let us know.