Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Hustler had to do something to try and instill confidence in the hydro system because prior to the hyper drive all I ever heard on here was another hydro failed on a hustler. It seemed like it was almost a daily occurrence.
This is the absolute truth. Hustler use to be more common up here but lost a huge market share due to all the hydro problems. They HAD to offer this warranty...Im curious if the new hyperdrive will hold up any better? Only time will tell.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
This is the absolute truth. Hustler use to be more common up here but lost a huge market share due to all the hydro problems. They HAD to offer this warranty...Im curious if the new hyperdrive will hold up any better? Only time will tell.
The problem with the other setup was asking to much of the White wheel motors, the White wheel motors were inexpensive, the new system is in class by itself and the more rigorous conditions you use the Hustler in the more it will show how much better it is made.

You may be able to get alot of hours out of other hydro systems but if I was using a 72 on hills and mowing all day at top speed I know which mower I would get for sure and without?.

The people who deal in hydraulics call the HD Super a standard good setup, they call all other ZTR hydraulics disposable junk.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The problem with the other setup was asking to much of the White wheel motors, the White wheel motors were inexpensive, the new system is in class by itself and the more rigorous conditions you use the Hustler in the more it will show how much better it is made.

You may be able to get alot of hours out of other hydro systems but if I was using a 72 on hills and mowing all day at top speed I know which mower I would get for sure and without?.

The people who deal in hydraulics call the HD Super a standard good setup, they call all other ZTR hydraulics disposable junk.
I think they went over board the weight effects their hillside stability.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Retro was using the term in the modern street slang meaningawesome, great, etc etc.

No doubt the HD system is heavy duty, and I don't believe anyone would dispute that, but it's not that hard to understand how they can offer that warranty, at least from a marketing standpoint. The warranty is valid for the original purchaser only as per Hustler, plus it appears they have left themselves plenty of outs from the warranty based off their own wording of it below-

"IMPORTANT: The hydraulic components are covered by a
five (5) year (3000 hour) limited warranty, to the original purchaser
only
. Proof of proper hydraulic system maintenance may be required before warranty credit is allowed. Proof may
consist of, but is not limited to, the following items; regularly
scheduled and performed hydraulic system oil and filter changes
and use of Hustler® Turf Equipment approved parts only. All warranty repair and service must be handled through an
authorized Hustler® Dealer. Arrangements should be made
through your local service center."

They know that the vast majority of buyers will be LCO's who will sell off, or trade in their equipment every 2-4 years. Very few will ever have the ability to test that warranty to more than 50% of its limit since the hours built up during their ownership of a machine will generally be much less because most LCO's prefer to stay well below that level of hours for reliability/lack of down time reasons, and a higher trade-in or resale value. They know this based off the hours that are seen on an average of all trade in machines over a given time period. I know a man who owned an outdoor power equipment dealership here that I became fairly good friends with once relayed that info to me, and he was speaking of the entire industry as a whole using this general practice of offering similar enticements to potential buyers since he sold several different brands at his location, and had sold many others over the past 25+ years at other dealerships before opening his own store.
This is an expensive hydraulic system, and I think you and I both know to offer this strong a warranty, the manufacturer wants to be certain there is a paper trail to follow for maintenance procedures.

There are commercial cutters putting 1000 hrs. per cutting season on these mowers in the south, so 3 to 4 yrs. for many keeps their hydraulics under full warranty with a maintenance paper trail the manufacturer can follow.

This is not "plenty of outs," the manufacturer only wants to know you are the original buyer of the mower, and that it is serviced to their specs. This is nothing at all out of the ordinary, and something all manufacturers would require if able to offer a warranty of that caliber.

I am told there has already been thousands of hours put on the HyperDrive with no major failures, as a matter of fact, one of the mechanics told me the only thing they had done to a HyperDrive system was service, clean, and check the system to make sure no oil line was seeping.

There is one cutter in this area I'm told that has 10 of these mowers, so it is real smart on his part to drop the mowers off at the dealer for their 500 hr. hydraulic service, then if a failure does occur, there can be no questions asked as to the validity of the work performed.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they went overboard to, I can see adding 75 or a 100 max but 200 is way overkill on weight

For durability the mower is built, even the dealers feel the mower is overkill unless you are Puppy or doing roadside work like me.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is an expensive hydraulic system, and I think you and I both know to offer this strong a warranty, the manufacturer wants to be certain there is a paper trail to follow for maintenance procedures.

There are commercial cutters putting 1000 hrs. per cutting season on these mowers in the south, so 3 to 4 yrs. for many keeps their hydraulics under full warranty with a maintenance paper trail the manufacturer can follow.

This is not "plenty of outs," the manufacturer only wants to know you are the original buyer of the mower, and that it is serviced to their specs. This is nothing at all out of the ordinary, and something all manufacturers would require if able to offer a warranty of that caliber.

I am told there has already been thousands of hours put on the HyperDrive with no major failures, as a matter of fact, one of the mechanics told me the only thing they had done to a HyperDrive system was service, clean, and check the system to make sure no oil line was seeping.

There is one cutter in this area I'm told that has 10 of these mowers, so it is real smart on his part to drop the mowers off at the dealer for their 500 hr. hydraulic service, then if a failure does occur, there can be no questions asked as to the validity of the work performed.
The term they use "Hustler approved parts only" is an out. The fact that they want you to mantain them is no issue for me, but the out comes when it's time to get service/warranty work and they want to see your paperwork proving the service and intervals at which it occured. I agree that for a guy with several of the SZ's, going to the dealer for service may be the best bet to make sure you are covered. I've been through the paper trail deal with other brands myself, and even the Hustler dealer here wants you to have the service done at their shop to avoid warranty claim issues. That speaks a lot to me right there.

Like I said before though, there''s no doubt that the system is heavy duty. they should be seeing some long life considering the way they are built.

I don't know any professional cutters who do residential or a mix of resi and commercial that post anywhere near that many hours on their machines each year. Those that can and do log high hours, run more than one machine to spread the load and fulfill their contracts. The only place here that I know uses (or used. Haven't seen them mowing with SZ's for a few years after going to WAM's) Hustler commercially is the courthouse complex. Even those guys don't run up that many hours on them and it is a HUGE complex consisting of many very large parcels of land. If I had to guess, it's at least a couple hundred acres total they cut. If anyone could use the speed here it would be those guys, but they never mow at full sticks for some reason, at least never that I have seen. I'm not sure why, because some of these places are so big that a 240" deck would look small on them. I've always wanted to stop one and ask them about that, but they try to stay clear of "the public" while cutting. Maybe it's a union rule or something.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The term they use "Hustler approved parts only" is an out. The fact that they want you to mantain them is no issue for me, but the out comes when it's time to get service/warranty work and they want to see your paperwork proving the service and intervals at which it occured. I agree that for a guy with several of the SZ's, going to the dealer for service may be the best bet to make sure you are covered. I've been through the paper trail deal with other brands myself, and even the Hustler dealer here wants you to have the service done at their shop to avoid warranty claim issues. That speaks a lot to me right there.

Like I said before though, there''s no doubt that the system is heavy duty. they should be seeing some long life considering the way they are built.

I don't know any professional cutters who do residential or a mix of resi and commercial that post anywhere near that many hours on their machines each year. Those that can and do log high hours, run more than one machine to spread the load and fulfill their contracts. The only place here that I know uses (or used. Haven't seen them mowing with SZ's for a few years after going to WAM's) Hustler commercially is the courthouse complex. Even those guys don't run up that many hours on them and it is a HUGE complex consisting of many very large parcels of land. If I had to guess, it's at least a couple hundred acres total they cut. If anyone could use the speed here it would be those guys, but they never mow at full sticks for some reason, at least never that I have seen. I'm not sure why, because some of these places are so big that a 240" deck would look small on them. I've always wanted to stop one and ask them about that, but they try to stay clear of "the public" while cutting. Maybe it's a union rule or something.
I have no reason not to let my dealer do the hydraulic service, as he already has at 40 hrs., he picks the mower up, does the work and delivers it back to me at no charge for pickup or delivery. I don't mind paying the labor to know they use all Hustler's recommended parts and fluids, and there can never be any question if a hydraulic component fails. I guess I look at it kind of like insurance. All companies will squirm out of a warranty responsibility if given any chance at all.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Hey, do you ship mowers at all (like Everything Attachments does, or at least did last I knew), or is it too cost prohibitive?
No you, we actually deliver personally...lol
Old 07-19-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Retro would you consider the GHopper 226v on the same level as the CZT Elite?
I'm looking at GHopper and the Duramax deck , have not seen 1 in person yet, just want an opinion between the 2.

Congrats Hotdog on your new mower!
Yes the 226 is really nice. It actually has 12cc pumps and wheel motors, 3 yr commercial unlimited hour warranty, 0% finance for 48 months is only 1% cost cheapest in industry. It is more comparable to the outlaw in price and features the czt and 226 are 2 completely different machines. Some like one hate the other, some take 4 hours to decide...lol
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
No you, we actually deliver personally...lol
How far away do you travel to deliver?