Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I decided to try some Triple-10 garden fertilizer for the upcoming week, then just add some N in late Sept... Probably .5#/k for now or 5# of actual product per 1000 sq.ft.
What about your state's ban on P?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
What about your state's ban on P?
You are absolutely correct, in that the comprehensive ban for the entire state went into effect 3 years ago... I will need to have a soil test done for the H.O. before applying anything other than Milorganite or compost that may contain P or if establishing a new lawn...
It also makes it a crime to apply any fertilizer, containing P or not,, to frozen ground or other impervious surfaces... Accidental is no excuse...
All professional applicators need to obey the law...
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have more or less the same rules here now which, frankly, I resent. I am not sure about frozen soil regs here but it is not something I would do anyway. The bail out excuse for some guys here is throw some seed down (wrt P).

I am stunned that will all your posts here, experience, and opinions that you have only used straight N (urea?) and Milorganite. There are so many good products available. I am a big fan of MESAs, UFLEXX, PPSCU, and some all-mineral fertilizers in September-October.

Regarding the original topic here, phosphorous fertilizers, over the course of a season I used to set a target ratio of 4:1:2 NPK for the year with good results.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fleet Farm is selling Milorganite for $5.99/bag, which is the cheapest I've ever seen it... So I lavished that onto one of my forest lawns and I think it will be as good as any other source of N...
Someday someone will have to convince me that UFLEXX or PPSCU processes are really all that necessary... I work more from the standpoint of timing and moisture availability and things seem to be excellent...

What kind of all mineral ferts have you been using???
Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
What kind of all mineral ferts have you been using???
Well, losing P has changed this somewhat here. I do not use any of the mineral fert/pre-emergent combinations typically applied in Spring.

Especially in conjunction with extremely heavy fall aerating I like all-mineral fertilizers. Shorter day lengths, cooler nighttime, and the kick mineral fertilzers provide are a great combination for turf recovery on athletic fields. As far as what kinds: K-Mag, ammonium sulfate, potassium nitrate, some of the starter fertilizers when appropriate, urea. I'm not especially proud of it but I have used 19-19-19 plus 30-0-10 (UFLEXX) at the same time on a couple of fields that were completely ignored for 5 or more years to jump start them.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

It's a pity that some states ban phosphorous. I've read that cow manure provides a good source, although I'm not sure if it is the most soluble or if there is a ban on non fertilizer sources of phosphorous as well. I'm sure it is all just a click away. I know that phasthound is quite knowledgeable on the subject and that you can access his site via his profile.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Composted cow manure is considered a fertilizer, as is Milorganite and both contain P, which is exempt from the ban... Organic fertilizers are PC, so of course they would be exempt from the ban...
Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Phosphate is nothing more than fossilized sea creatures mined from deposits in the Earth. We could call it “fish fossils.”

The most common “byproduct” during the phosphate mining process is Shark teeth.

Phosphorus (P) is referred to as the Enforcer. It helps the plant trap and use the sun's energy to make food (photosynthesis). Plants also need P to grow healthy root systems.
Posted via Mobile Device