Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hydrangeas drooping.

I've got 4-5 hydrangeas that are 2 years old. They were full of blooms but as you can see are drooping and yellowing some.

I'm in North Carolina so the heat and humidity could be the problem. They've gotten good water and extra when signs of wilting show.

I've never fertilized them except for overspreading from the lawn.

Can anyone suggest a solution? What and when is the best time to fertilize...early spring and fall?
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too much shade, trees sucking up nutrients, and probably over-watering. And, do they get afternoon sun?

Bad location for them.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They get good sun. Everything I open from the angle of the picture.

Roots could be issue
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Endless Summer hydrangeas ALWAYS struggle in afternoon sun... no matter how much water you give them they are going to wilt in the afternoon sun... The regular white Annabelles may do better, but hydrangeas are a partial shade plant that I try to locate for morning sun and afternoon shade... I would fertilize the 2 on the right and continue to add the acid creating AlSu or straight sulfur to the blue ones to help keep them blue...
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Endless Summer hydrangeas ALWAYS struggle in afternoon sun... no matter how much water you give them they are going to wilt in the afternoon sun... The regular white Annabelles may do better, but hydrangeas are a partial shade plant that I try to locate for morning sun and afternoon shade... I would fertilize the 2 on the right and continue to add the acid creating AlSu or straight sulfur to the blue ones to help keep them blue...
Yeah afternoon sub and summer heat are no good. I tried some and had to move them. The sun just burned them up.

Since they have not been fertilized I picked up some osmocote to apply now. I also ordered some jacks water soluble and will try to foliar feed every few weeks. I may end up needing some iron if they don't grow out of the yellowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've taken to 'flood irrigation' in a dish built up just a little larger than the drip zone and flood it every few days when the sun is hot in the afternoon...
They are a nice addition to the garden but most of the sun is during the heat of the day...

I'm thinking about adding a high rise shrub that would not distract from the hydrangeas ,,, yet possibly provide a little cover... We have access to dappled willow and Cinderella Lilac grafted onto a 6' trunk...

That would be a nice addition to your location, giving some medium height to that backdrop...
Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I've taken to 'flood irrigation' in a dish built up just a little larger than the drip zone and flood it every few days when the sun is hot in the afternoon...
They are a nice addition to the garden but most of the sun is during the heat of the day...
Quote:
Endless Summer hydrangeas ALWAYS struggle in afternoon sun... no matter how much water you give them they are going to wilt in the afternoon sun...
I have the same issue. I lost a tree, and that opened up a more sun to one of my hydrangeas. I already had it on a drip irrigation system that watered it every other day, but on hot days it needs to be watered every day or else it looks droopy. You can see it perk up within hours of watering, except on the hottest of days, where it may not perk up until late at night.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydrangeas are a high nutrient requirement plant. They are even hard to grow in the nursery. If your using osmocote then apply more than the recommended rate to get any benefit. You may not see an improvement this year but fertilizer it again next spring to.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are the plants wilting or just weighed down by the flowers? All the rain we have been having makes those flowers heavy. Try adding some mg and fe to the liquid fertilizer if it doesn't have it.