Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=HydSV8_585s

Just a small clip I took with my phone yest, cutting a little hastily on a smooth property.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Greenology. I picked up my new 3100 yesterday and gave it a bit of a run this morning.
I had to flip the deck lift pedal over and adjust the steering levers back to give my leg the clearance to operate the deck lift. Operating position is different to what I'm used to on the Gravely but I'll get used to that.
Twice, when on rough ground my forearm must have slipped off the arm rest and dis-engaged the pto.

Like you, I ran one tank dry and was a b!tch to start again. I eventually managed to get a seal on the tank filler hole with my cheeks & hands and was able to pressurise the tank a bit. Maybe coincidental, but it started next try.
The hour meter said 0.8hrs when I started and the fuel guage on that tank read half full. It was empty @ 1.6 hrs.
There's no 'lawn' here to mow at the moment so I put it into the horse paddock. Cruel I know, but I had to cut something. I have a video uploading now.
I put the GPS on it and 16kph(10mph) is the most I could get. I won't know until the grass starts growing again if I'll need the extra pace.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys I am looking at a used 2011 ferris 3100 with icd deck but with a 30hp briggs. A local lawn care company is selling it to get new mowers. It has 600 hours on it though. I will just be using it for my 2.5 acre residential yard. I think I could get it for around 5k.

I was set on getting a new husky mz6128 as I can get it for sound $4200 before taxes. I know the ferris is a better mower, and probably more than I need. I am just afraid about not having a warranty with the ferris like I would with the husky. Either one would probably last me forever. I was just seeing what your guys thoughts are for this situation.

I do apologize if this is hi jacking this thread. I don't mean to and have been following this thread closely to get all of the info I can on this model ferris.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
Hey Greenology. I picked up my new 3100 yesterday and gave it a bit of a run this morning.
I had to flip the deck lift pedal over and adjust the steering levers back to give my leg the clearance to operate the deck lift. Operating position is different to what I'm used to on the Gravely but I'll get used to that.
Twice, when on rough ground my forearm must have slipped off the arm rest and dis-engaged the pto.

Like you, I ran one tank dry and was a b!tch to start again. I eventually managed to get a seal on the tank filler hole with my cheeks & hands and was able to pressurise the tank a bit. Maybe coincidental, but it started next try.
The hour meter said 0.8hrs when I started and the fuel guage on that tank read half full. It was empty @ 1.6 hrs.
There's no 'lawn' here to mow at the moment so I put it into the horse paddock. Cruel I know, but I had to cut something. I have a video uploading now.
I put the GPS on it and 16kph(10mph) is the most I could get. I won't know until the grass starts growing again if I'll need the extra pace.
Hey mate, good news! Im looking forward to seeing that video

Hopefully you will adjust to the operating position without much trouble. I havnt had much worry luckily, I did adjust the steering levers a little as well., but im considering a puffer air seat insert & im concerned about the seating position then with that.

Yea there might be a technique to learn for starting from empty tank. But I intend on fitting a t-piece to allow the tanks to empty equally & never run out.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
Guys I am looking at a used 2011 ferris 3100 with icd deck but with a 30hp briggs. A local lawn care company is selling it to get new mowers. It has 600 hours on it though. I will just be using it for my 2.5 acre residential yard. I think I could get it for around 5k.

I was set on getting a new husky mz6128 as I can get it for sound $4200 before taxes. I know the ferris is a better mower, and probably more than I need. I am just afraid about not having a warranty with the ferris like I would with the husky. Either one would probably last me forever. I was just seeing what your guys thoughts are for this situation.

I do apologize if this is hi jacking this thread. I don't mean to and have been following this thread closely to get all of the info I can on this model ferris.
Not hi jacking at all, more than welcome to ask/discuss whatever you like...

Hmm tricky decision you have to make! hopefully some others will have some insight for you, im not too sure myself.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

green-
when I click on your link, all it says is "no videos were found".
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rIIHWaGQms
Here's the link.
I already mowed a strip a few weeks ago, and I had just done 1 cut on the short side today before the starting point of the vid.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rIIHWaGQms
Here's the link.
I already mowed a strip a few weeks ago, and I had just done 1 cut on the short side today before the starting point of the vid.
Which engine on your Ferris? The deck is fanning the grass well for what you are cutting, it appears very dry as well, is that a correct assumption?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

It's the 36hp Puppy. Yes mostly summer grasses hayed right off being middle of winter here. Was a heavy dew this morning but irrelevent. The only thing green is the African love grass tussocks which can be very tough. You can hear the blades in the vid when they are cutting it.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
green-
when I click on your link, all it says is "no videos were found".
Hmm not sure why, I checked it and it worked. You have any luck?