Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Mick, do you have problems with restarts if a tank runs empty on your 35?
No! Just need to choke and it will turn over pretty easily!
What I hate is that you dont get any warning when it runs out, it just stops. Not good when on a hill or slope. I remember the 28efi giving a few splutters which gave time to switch tanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That will be interesting, I honestly don't foresee any type cutting you do giving the 36 Vanguard any problem. From the small amount of time you've run the 3100 so far, would you consider it to be the best mower you've ever owned and operated, there's no doubt it gives the best ride?
Thursday I was cutting some relatively long clover which was damp, this loaded the deck up somewhat but the motor handled with no real worry, however I think the 32 may have hesitated a little with this. More due to the deck loading up than anything. This deck is suited to well maintained lawns, not going to be so great at cutting down badly overgrown stuff like Mick deals with after rain holds him up etc. I occasionally get this stuff but will be avoiding it where I can.

From the 5 hrs I have put on the machine Im very pleased & can say for sure it is the best ZTR I have owned for my application. At this point I don't think id ever buy another non-suspended ZTR as my primary machine. I hope eventually we see a 3100z with EFI & wouldn't mind having an extra mph or 2 just for the rare occasions I can utilise it.

I have no idea why ppl don't think the Ferris is built with strength, I thick its as well built as the Hustlers etc, besides the deck strength but that should be fine.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
A mate of mine fitted a primer bulb onto his fuel line. I wonder if one of those would help with the re starts.
Not a bad idea!

But I cant see a positive for being able to switch tanks, can you?

I don't think its ideal to have a full tank one side and empty the other, its like 20-25kg or 50lbs on one side of the mower when one tanks empty, prob doesn't matter much but its not ideal.

The way they have installed the 3 way valve on Ferris is with spring clamps, so it will only take me a minute to pull the hoses from valve and clamp them onto a t-piece.

Ill never run out of fuel this way & if I did I always have spare fuel as im sure everyone does. But it would be a rarity as opposed to almost always doing it with the switching over.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Mick, do you have problems with restarts if a tank runs empty on your 35?
I also didn't have any problems with the 35 or 31, little choke and away it went again.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Not a bad idea!

But I cant see a positive for being able to switch tanks, can you?

I don't think its ideal to have a full tank one side and empty the other, its like 20-25kg or 50lbs on one side of the mower when one tanks empty, prob doesn't matter much but its not ideal.

The way they have installed the 3 way valve on Ferris is with spring clamps, so it will only take me a minute to pull the hoses from valve and clamp them onto a t-piece.

Ill never run out of fuel this way & if I did I always have spare fuel as im sure everyone does. But it would be a rarity as opposed to almost always doing it with the switching over.
I think I remember someone having a problem with the T setup on here years ago. When both tanks were full and they mowed hillsides the upper tank would drain into the lower one and come out the cap. Not an issue with new machines but maybe something to keep in mind.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
The bigger the discharge opening, the easier on hp pull, I really don't understand why it has taken these manufacturers so long to figure that out.

EverRide has the largest discharge opening of any mower on the market, or least they always have, they were way ahead in this category. I'm thinking the tunnel deck on their Warrior had a 21" discharge opening, maybe someone knows the exact measurement. This is now the Gravely Pro-Ride, of which I'm told they are building around 150 more, and then Gravely will discontinue the model , but parts will still be available.

You can look at this deck and see it will handle a tremendous amount of grass.

Look at those nice, notched foil, blades...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
Leave the air pressure at 15 psi rear and 25 for front. Any less the tire will flex and this will cause the deck to lower and possibly scalp on bumps. Leaving at correct pressure makes the suspension work as designed and the deck will follow the contours of the ground.
This sounds like good advice. On my Toro Z Master I have been lowering the air to find a better ride, even to the extreme of trying it too low..8psi rear and 6 psi front, just to see how soft I could go. I went Back to 10 rear and 12 front. But on a side hill I got a flat rear tire. Not sure if I pinched the tube or what.
On the Ferris I think one should let the suspension do the work it was designed to do.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

greenology: Do you have the High back seat? My brochure shows the 3100 to have it as standard equipment, but the one I rode only had a low back on it. I will have ask the dealer what happened to it.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growin Green View Post
greenology: Do you have the High back seat? My brochure shows the 3100 to have it as standard equipment, but the one I rode only had a low back on it. I will have ask the dealer what happened to it.
It looks like the high back seat. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=402178&page=20

I haven't spent much time in mine yet, but the first thing i looked for was an adjuster to straighten the back up a bit, but no adjustment there.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
It looks like the high back seat. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=402178&page=20

I haven't spent much time in mine yet, but the first thing i looked for was an adjuster to straighten the back up a bit, but no adjustment there.
AHH yes, that is the high back. I couldn't find that picture...thanks!
That is a great seat. very comfortable. It would be nice to be able to adjust the back some.