Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Scag uses a lot of Vanguard engines on their Cheetah's and TT's. Plenty of shallow drive outboard engine boats use the Vanguards as well.
That's right, now that you mention that I remember. They are a solid, reliable motor. The ferris I use to run hasn't had an engine problem in over 350 hours. That's not many i know, but if my thinking is correct most problems that will occur are going to either come in the first few hours or late in the engine's life.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
That's right, now that you mention that I remember. They are a solid, reliable motor. The ferris I use to run hasn't had an engine problem in over 350 hours. That's not many i know, but if my thinking is correct most problems that will occur are going to either come in the first few hours or late in the engine's life.
That's the way I figure it for engine issues too. At least it sure seems to work out that way more often than not. The Vanguard will always be my first choice in the future if given the option, and I've always been a Kawi guy.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Just a ferris without suspension. They are great engines! If they would do an efi system I would never look at another motor. Unfortunately the only manufacturer that I know of that uses vanguard is ferris/snapper.
I believe Briggs owns Snapper/Ferris.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
I'm sure you'll be happy with the ICD deck, I have one on my 52 inch Snapper Pro S75X and it even cuts tall bahia at not quite full stick without leaving standers.

I'm glad to hear some info on the big blocks since I've been looking at a Snapper Pro S200XT 61 inch with the 32 big block.
Yea Id say your right, the deck seems well designed for cutting and even clipping dispersal.

One thing I have been noticing is the deck not cutting as low as the deck im used to, normally using 2.5" on the X1 is a nice low cut, but I find I need to use 1.25" to replicate this height of cut. When I picked up the mower I checked the blade height at 2.5" & it appeared to be correct! I will double check over the weekend, but im wondering if the thick rubber flap hanging off back of deck is holding it up, alternatively the anti scalps, but theres no adjusting them. Anyway is only a slight issue for winter cutting over here, to knock down the clover etc and give a more presentable appearance to shabby lawns. Once spring growth comes then this height is fine and dandy & more often cutting 3" +. However I will investigate.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing I do like is the exhaust note coming from the 36 BB & it revs up so crispy! Cold starts are instant so far & same thing once warmed up.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Another thing I do like is the exhaust note coming from the 36 BB & it revs up so crispy! Cold starts are instant so far & same thing once warmed up.
It does have a nice growl to it doesn't it? One thing I liked about the 32 was the lopey idle when you cold start it. You can hear that cam in there working, such a good sound! Not sure if you have ever heard a cammed up American v8, but it is just short of heavenly lol.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Im 70kg or 150 lbs. I find that when I come up out of a rut my weight is lifted taking the tension off the spring, then my weight coming back down bottoms out the spring, giving that hard contact feeling. easily fixed though.

Seams a silly design, most if not all other manus just have a pressure switch in the seat itself.

I wonder if the Michigan has the pressure pad built into it, therefor the existing switch on ferris could be bypassed for the Michigan one.
If you are bouncing around that much you might want to play with the settings of the springs on the shocks. I have never upgraded a seat on a Ferris so not sure if you still use the same switch or use the switch in the Michigan seat... I have seen similar systems on other manufacturers. One of them was Exmark on older machines. Its nice as it keeps the wiring from interfering when you tilt the seat up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I am curious how the motor compares on fuel and power compared to the old 850, I can get a BB Briggs shipped to my door new for 1700. I am either going to buy a Generac 33 or a 36 BB so your feelings on your new motor are welcome.
Anything but Generac...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Hey Pugs how does the Z2 Tank compare to the 3100 ? I know you're a big fan of Z2 quality. What happened to Envy the great?
I think a 3100 could mow over a Z2, spit it out and keep on going.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is it you do not like about Generac?, you never liked the Z2 and the price sure was right and according to Envy you didn't need to spend 12 when you could get a better machine on many fronts than any for about 6.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You've got my choice of mowers for your cutting situation, you need an excellent suspension (due to so many rough properties), of which you have the best, you need a good cutting deck of which I would put yours up against any, and I have always claimed Vanguard is at the top of engines in the mower industry. The only need Vanguard has is fuel injection; of which they are working on very hard.

I hope you will be as happy with this mower as I believe you should be. I only hope you've got a good one, and when I say this, there are lemons in everything made by man.

I'm really looking forward to hearing details of your experience with the 3100, and if you find the need for more power than the 36 hp Vanguard, you need to be looking for a farm tractor to mow with.

What's the size of the discharge opening on your deck?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It does have a nice growl to it doesn't it? One thing I liked about the 32 was the lopey idle when you cold start it. You can hear that cam in there working, such a good sound! Not sure if you have ever heard a cammed up American v8, but it is just short of heavenly lol.
Haha yea I know the sound! This may not be exactly the same but close, a few yrs ago I rebuilt my 302 Windsor with a mate. We stroked it to a 349, had it balanced and blueprinted. Then added some alloy heads, a bigger cam, roller rockers etc etc, all hooked up to a 3" exhaust. Gee did that sound nice! & it was such a great thing to drive, very very smooth & so much torque. It was a perfect setup, only wish I could have kept it but it was a sedan & I needed a ute, couldn't afford to rego or keep 2 cars. It didn't "hunt" so much on idle though, more suited to everyday driving, but still somewhat lumpy.