Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Heres a small clip from the day I demoed the 3100, showing the suspension working. Sorry for the not so great videography, I will eventually get someone who is good at using a camera to do some filming for me, showing the suspension working a little more clearly & eventually some good video of the iCD decks clipping dispersal.

But just for now this shows the shocks in action! If you pay attention to the top of rear wheel in relation to the bottom of fuel tank, you'll see the travel of the rear shocks. @ 57 sec & again 1.25min

Mostly this is cut at full speed, just to give me an idea on shock absorption for demo more than anything, in reality I would be cutting a little slower over the largish ruts to minimise the height the deck lifts for a more even cut. Mind you if I tried to cut at this speed with a non-susp ZTR the deck would leave the ground even more.

Best to view in HD.

http://youtu.be/3MADHanU65A
I have to ask is it cold there you need a coat
Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The suspension is clearly working quite well. A lot better than any flex forks and suspension seat will (if Deere ever actually offers them for sale like they advertise).
When I get a chance & can get someone to come with me, Ill take the X1 back out to this place and try film in the same spot to give a comparison. Would be interested to see this, just a pita to do.

Have you ruled out buying a puffer air seat for your beast?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The concept is great if you need it and in this day of 16 MPH mowing machines it is more than welcome than ever, they need to add more beef to the design.

Look at a MOTO X bike from 1980 which is what the Ferris suspension is built like and look at a MOTO X bike today. Do you see the stuff the guys can hit on a new modern bike as compared to a 1980 bike?

The 1980 bike would break if you tried to hit anything like the new bikes, the Ferris is a great concept but it just needs to be made better.
If they add any more beef to it then Ill have dogs chasing me around all day!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Looking good!!! Thanks for the vid.
more than welcome
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Green, have you tried adjusting the coil overs yet? What setting are they on from the factory on your machine?
I havnt as yet, I believe they are on softest all round from the factory, I could see the front certainly were on softest. But the rear is a little harder to see, I will have a look however if the mechanic was correct then they should be on softest also. Would you suggest trying them a little firmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growin Green View Post
Great view of the suspension in action. Thanks for posting that. I would like to see it on a side hill if you have a chance.
Yea no problem, Ill take some video next opportunity I get, a couple weeks maybe. Im expecting it to hold onto a hill very well...
Old 07-21-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cool vid mate! That suspension is certainly working!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What has made those type ruts in this property? The lawn appears to be flat, which to me would mean the soil should not have washed this badly before grass was established. Do you believe the equipment used in the initial landscaping may have caused this problem?

When you initially view the property it is very nice looking, and one would never expect it to be in this condition, of which is extremely rough.

Do you have very many properties in this same condition, a condition that appears to have been incorporated by some type of faulty mechanical means?

You've never owned any mower that would cut good at over 4 to5 mph on this property, it would beat you to death. I could see even with the Ferris suspension you appeared to almost leave the seat in a couple of places.
My thoughts are it was a mix of poorly prepared surface & ground has settled with a little erosion over time (even with the turf). Ive been cutting this for nearly 5 yrs now & has been this way for that time, however the owner has had it top dressed in the past & has also mentioned the idea of doing it again (so he can have it cut lower) can cut any lower than I do without cutting into dirt on the top of ruts. So that will be a welcome relief if he ever does.

It may well have been a paddock for growing vege's, so being cultivated for a very long time would mean it needed a lot of prep work to prevent it from settling, the ruts are all inline across the length of prop so I cant help wonder if its related to old veg growing mounds. Alternately top dressing for a few yrs, but being costly & not the home owners priority I can understand why this doesn't get done.

The first pic was taken of the pool a few yrs ago but just so happens to show some of the ruts by looking at the low cut spots, which is of coarse the top of each rut. Then the second pic, not taken for this purpose but it shows some more of the ruts. The biggest problem with these is they are covering 80% of the place.

Name:  Ruts.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  Ruts 2.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  89.6 KB
Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=greenology;4821137]I havnt as yet, I believe they are on softest all round from the factory, I could see the front certainly were on softest. But the rear is a little harder to see, I will have a look however if the mechanic was correct then they should be on softest also. Would you suggest trying them a little firmer?

If you are happy with the ride then I would leave them the way they are for sure. I'm not sure what kind of pressure you are running in the tires, but that would help you out as well.

I used to cut three walmarts and one of those had a wide open lot that semi trucks liked to drive through for some reason. Talk about some ruts! That put the ferris' suspension to the test and even with it the ride was still extremely rough. Seeing your video reminded me of that property.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I have to ask is it cold there you need a coat
Middle of winter over here, quite cool!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=CurbAppealKS;4821156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I havnt as yet, I believe they are on softest all round from the factory, I could see the front certainly were on softest. But the rear is a little harder to see, I will have a look however if the mechanic was correct then they should be on softest also. Would you suggest trying them a little firmer?

If you are happy with the ride then I would leave them the way they are for sure. I'm not sure what kind of pressure you are running in the tires, but that would help you out as well.

I used to cut three walmarts and one of those had a wide open lot that semi trucks liked to drive through for some reason. Talk about some ruts! That put the ferris' suspension to the test and even with it the ride was still extremely rough. Seeing your video reminded me of that property.
If anything more travel in the susp would be the way to go, but theres obviously a limit to wat you can do with a lawn mower needing to cut grass with a cutting deck. My guess is firmer setting wouldn't give as good a ride, unless the shocks were bottoming out but I don't think they do. Also I wouldn't be cutting those bigger ruts at full speed in normal cutting scenario, so there will be less travel again with slower speed.

When I picked it up I asked the mechanic about tyre pressures & he was dead set on the fact I couldn't lower them from factory settings, his explanation was the sidewall of tyres flexing would eventually cause problems with the suspension longevity, as the kind of movement it creates isn't good for it. I dunno its seems quite far fetched. He actually told me 20 for the rears and 25 for the fronts, but I read the user manual which states 15 PSI for the rears & the 25 for front, so I lowered the rears to 14 PSI ! The front I havnt touched at this point, the front shocks seem to do a good job.

What do you think about the pressures? In that video however that being the demo model, the rear pressure was likely 20 PSI. However it also had the ROPS installed which is a good 50kg maybe more, mine has no ROPS on it now & tyres 14, so might be about equal ride.