Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growin Green View Post
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=193 Do the fans over the hydro pumps keep them free of debris like they say they will? My Toro does not have them.
I wasnt over the moon when I first discovered theres no fan shroud on the newer models, ill see if any problems arise from it over time, but should be fine. Ill take note whether it keeps them clean, I guess it will but also serves as a cooling fan of course.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Our average min over winter period is around 7 celcius or 44.5 F for u guys. So quite mild, although out in the open with wind chill factor, a jacket is a necessity for me .
That sounds kinda nice right about now...

As for the fans...I know HydroGear always says they help with cooling but I just dont see how. I say they are more for preventing debris buildup like you guys mention. Look at anything thats air cooled and you will see alot of large fins.....the pumps have hardly any and ones they do have are tiny.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a 2011 3100, 32 bb, 72" in November of 2011. I have been running it the last 2 years. Been meaning to do a review, but just never got around to it. The Briggs 32 has been great. Power & easy starts. I have 545 hours on it so far without any issues. I decided to upgrade to a suspension seat and got one from Northern Tool for $330. Identical to the Michigan, but cheaper. It has the presence system built into it so it will work on either setup. The seat is heavy enough that it holds the factory spring sensor down without me being on it. I will say, the cushion on the factory seat is easier on the butt on bigger jobs, but the extra suspension is really nice. Everything about the mower is great including the iCD deck. This is the 16th mower I have owned & I still think it is the best. Great ride for my back & body, & best cut I have had. My suspension has been set on the softest from the factory since I got it. I played with tire pressure some. Manual says 15 psi, but 13 holds banks better. I am getting some uneven tire wear & wonder if that isnt why. The only other change I have done is put run flats on the front. The Hustlers with flex forks & suspension seat or the Scag Cheetah were not anywhere close to the cut & comfort of the Ferris. A friend bought a 36/61 Ferris 3100 & loves it & the power. Not sure if you can bog that motor down. It is a thirsty one tho! Good luck with your mower. I am completely sold on Ferris after owning & running one.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Im 70kg or 150 lbs. I find that when I come up out of a rut my weight is lifted taking the tension off the spring, then my weight coming back down bottoms out the spring, giving that hard contact feeling. easily fixed though.

Seams a silly design, most if not all other manus just have a pressure switch in the seat itself.

I wonder if the Michigan has the pressure pad built into it, therefor the existing switch on ferris could be bypassed for the Michigan one.

I am 200 lbs and I see no need for an upgraded seat.The original appears to be fine.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
I am 200 lbs and I see no need for an upgraded seat.The original appears to be fine.
Depends on your mowing conditions. Also the extra weight you might find works to your advantage.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLarson View Post
I bought a 2011 3100, 32 bb, 72" in November of 2011. I have been running it the last 2 years. Been meaning to do a review, but just never got around to it. The Briggs 32 has been great. Power & easy starts. I have 545 hours on it so far without any issues. I decided to upgrade to a suspension seat and got one from Northern Tool for $330. Identical to the Michigan, but cheaper. It has the presence system built into it so it will work on either setup. The seat is heavy enough that it holds the factory spring sensor down without me being on it. I will say, the cushion on the factory seat is easier on the butt on bigger jobs, but the extra suspension is really nice. Everything about the mower is great including the iCD deck. This is the 16th mower I have owned & I still think it is the best. Great ride for my back & body, & best cut I have had. My suspension has been set on the softest from the factory since I got it. I played with tire pressure some. Manual says 15 psi, but 13 holds banks better. I am getting some uneven tire wear & wonder if that isnt why. The only other change I have done is put run flats on the front. The Hustlers with flex forks & suspension seat or the Scag Cheetah were not anywhere close to the cut & comfort of the Ferris. A friend bought a 36/61 Ferris 3100 & loves it & the power. Not sure if you can bog that motor down. It is a thirsty one tho! Good luck with your mower. I am completely sold on Ferris after owning & running one.
Hey JT!! Glad to see you pop in again. I'd be more than glad to read your review of the 3100. You are one of the best reviewers to ever post on LS, and always appreciated your honesty and straight forwardness.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Hey JT!! Glad to see you pop in again. I'd be more than glad to read your review of the 3100. You are one of the best reviewers to ever post on LS, and always appreciated your honesty and straight forwardness.
Thanks Ridin' Green. I read a lot on here, but dont post much. Gets tiring trying to type on my phone! Lol!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks very much for your review, great info & good news you've had no dramas! When you adjusted the rear tire pressure did you need to play with the deck pitch or height? What about the timing rods.

If we had the 32 BB then I would have given it some consideration, for fuel savings, but they didn't give us the option over here, had to drop back to the 30 commercial.

So far Im very pleased! I did notice today the deck built up some grass underneath, when I shut the blades off the build up dropped, was cutting some moisture laden stuff though, not a concern really just an observation. Characteristic of this deck design.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The timing rods have always measured the same even when setting mow heights. Never had to mess with them. I did more mowing with my friends 36/61 & the factory seat on the 2013 is much better than the 2011. It has a higher, more plush back. The 61 feels a lot more nimble. It didnt want to drag a tire or fight during turns or on banks like the 72. I think thats due to the extra weight the 72 is trying to swing around.I have over 550 hours on my mower & still have original belts on it.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The timing rods have always measured the same even when setting mow heights. Never had to mess with them. I did more mowing with my friends 36/61 & the factory seat on the 2013 is much better than the 2011. It has a higher, more plush back. The 61 feels a lot more nimble. It didnt want to drag a tire or fight during turns or on banks like the 72. I think thats due to the extra weight the 72 is trying to swing around.I have over 550 hours on my mower & still have original belts on it.
From my little experience on the 3100 so far Im very pleased with its maneuverability, gets into corners tightly & the hydros are very accurate and responsive for jutting in/out of trees etc, more so than I have been used to with other ZTRs.

With regard to the belts, I only have just over 3hrs but today the deck belt jumped off on me. I put it back on & seemed to be ok for the last half hr of mowing, but Im assuming theres not enough tension which allowed it to jump off. I will have to check the user manual see if theres a spec on how to check tightness. Someone on here might have a tip for me?

I cut a very rough property today, really gave the suspension a workout! its going great, I think I will improve on the "seat through back" feel with a puffer air seat.

Ridin - have you ever considered fitting the puffer seat to your machine? Are you turned off by the ride height? or would you prefer to stick with factory option from JD. Just wondering if you know something about it that I don't. From what I've been reading its miles better than a mechanical susp seat & also IME the mech susp seat hasn't done a great deal for ride comfort so that's why im looking a little further.