Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

With the Gravely air seat less air gives you more dampening and a softer ride. More air give you less dampening and a firmer ride. I personally like my air seat in the 1-2" up range. It all depends on weight and personal preference. The seat isolators also play a huge role in how the Gravely seat feels. Even with no air it rides really good.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The Gravely has a wonderful seat, but it's not exactly the feel you would expect. When I first started using the 472 I was thinking the more air involved the better the ride, wrong, I found this best ride was achieved with a very small amount of air pumped into the system.

There is no mower that will give the better ride of a Ferris in your cutting situation, your properties are a step above what would actually be considered rough.

Did you check the speeds like I asked with blades off, deck up, blades on, deck up, and then while cutting? This would be interesting information for those of us to see the differences.
Didn't get the opportunity yest, only had 2x 1 acre lots so not enough open area for testing. Today however I have a 5 acre place I should be able to get the figures. I did test it a week ago, was getting 13 mph on a smooth surface & 12 mph cutting but I think it fluctuated between 12-13mph while cutting. Anyhow Id like to do it again to clarify. My GPS is a couple yr old & it doesn't have 0.5 increments which is a shame. I will give it another go today.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
With the Gravely air seat less air gives you more dampening and a softer ride. More air give you less dampening and a firmer ride. I personally like my air seat in the 1-2" up range. It all depends on weight and personal preference. The seat isolators also play a huge role in how the Gravely seat feels. Even with no air it rides really good.
Would you say the Air seat is a good percentage better than a Mech seat? If you have used a Mech seat, which Im sure you have.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Would you say the Air seat is a good percentage better than a Mech seat? If you have used a Mech seat, which Im sure you have.
IMO there is a big difference. Plus the air seat can be adjusted more to your preference. Also the Gravely seat uses some kind of memory foam. Not sure about the puffer seat?

Last edited by GMLC; 07-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nah the puffer seat is just an insert, so you need to retain your factory seat. I would imagine the Gravely could be a little better, but the puffer might be the next best thing. I just don't recall a great benefit at all from a Mech susp seat & I think they would cost me roughly the same price.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Nah the puffer seat is just an insert, so you need to retain your factory seat. I would imagine the Gravely could be a little better, but the puffer might be the next best thing. I just don't recall a great benefit at all from a Mech susp seat & I think they would cost me roughly the same price.
If you like your current seat it seems the puffer would be a good option. I didnt know it was just an insert, thanks for informing me.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The Gravely has a wonderful seat, but it's not exactly the feel you would expect. When I first started using the 472 I was thinking the more air involved the better the ride, wrong, I found this best ride was achieved with a very small amount of air pumped into the system.

There is no mower that will give the better ride of a Ferris in your cutting situation, your properties are a step above what would actually be considered rough.

Did you check the speeds like I asked with blades off, deck up, blades on, deck up, and then while cutting? This would be interesting information for those of us to see the differences.
Gave the speed a good test today, consistently cutting at 12 mph without any hesitation. Cutting up a gradient will still make 11 mph. Definitely more productive for me as I can do between 9-12 mph basically all the time if theres enough length in each run. The cut is excellent, will get back to you on cut in spring/summer. But expecting great results.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
If you like your current seat it seems the puffer would be a good option. I didnt know it was just an insert, thanks for informing me.
Yea I thought the same thing in the beginning.

I havnt made my mind up as yet, I can live without it, but on the other hand over the long term its not that big of an investment & helps that little bit further in preserving the back. eh
Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I should say we made the assumption it was a twisted belt. After if kicked off the first time he put it back on & it instantly kicked back off when he engaged the blades. When putting it back on the second time we noticed it had a twist (which must have been undetected under the covers in the deck pulleys). He hasn't had it happen since.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Gave the speed a good test today, consistently cutting at 12 mph without any hesitation. Cutting up a gradient will still make 11 mph. Definitely more productive for me as I can do between 9-12 mph basically all the time if theres enough length in each run. The cut is excellent, will get back to you on cut in spring/summer. But expecting great results.
The ICD deck does a great job, and as I told you long ago, I felt the Ferris 3100 was your mower, and from what I'm gathering from you so far, it appears that is the case.