Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

one ugly lawn

Bought this house in feb and am now trying to see what i have.

patchiness everywhere, looks to be some dormant grass. Plenty of weeds. This is about 2 miles from the Bay in Pasadena MD. Lots of sand near the house but better soil in the yard.

lawn is under daily attack by resident geese.

any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aerate the shiz out of it 3 times this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know why they call them Canadian geese, they have no clue where Canada is. Seriously though, geese have caused me a lot of problem's, unless you can afford a full time, goose chasing border collie your next best bet is a single strand of 14 gauge insulated irrigation electrical wire strung at chest level to a goose about 18" into the water, it keep's them from coming ashore.

I see a lot of little tree's and limb's in picture's 1-2 that need to go. Improve the airflow and get your yard ready to overseed on Sept. 1 (which is the best date for you to plant grass) Use the best seed you can find at the lowest rate (3-4 Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.) Good luck.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
I don't know why they call them Canadian geese, they have no clue where Canada is. Seriously though, geese have caused me a lot of problem's, unless you can afford a full time, goose chasing border collie your next best bet is a single strand of 14 gauge insulated irrigation electrical wire strung at chest level to a goose about 18" into the water, it keep's them from coming ashore.

I see a lot of little tree's and limb's in picture's 1-2 that need to go. Improve the airflow and get your yard ready to overseed on Sept. 1 (which is the best date for you to plant grass) Use the best seed you can find at the lowest rate (3-4 Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.) Good luck.
neighbors swear the geese will leave when it gets warmer. I am going to price some goose chasin border collie treatments and pitch it the the HOA.

I cant put anything in the pond although i am going to work with the HOA to get a permit to destroy the goose eggs every year
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe the geese come to NC for the summer. I have priced border collies, prepare for sticker shock, they are 4-5K for 1 dog. They have to be on the job 24 hour's a day, 7 day's a week, 365 day's a year. They are working dog's, they aren't pet's at all. They have to have a dedicated outdoor shelter and then you have to pay for the annual upkeep, which include's a trip to the vet, which can be crazy expensive if there are any problem's.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Love the setting!!! It's going to be a long road. Start out by getting rid of the weeds with Gordon's 3-way but be super careful as you are so close to water. I'd concentrate on that this summer and get or do a soil test for fertilize, then in the fall overseed heavily with fescue. That's going to be a showplace but you'll be proud. How much lawn is there anyway?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Love the setting!!! It's going to be a long road. Start out by getting rid of the weeds with Gordon's 3-way but be super careful as you are so close to water. I'd concentrate on that this summer and get or do a soil test for fertilize, then in the fall overseed heavily with fescue. That's going to be a showplace but you'll be proud. How much lawn is there anyway?
thanks for the advice. Property is 34,000 sq ft. Appears to have had several large trees removed as there are indents into the lawn the size of tree trunks. There is also a dirt mount in the back about 2" higher than the lawn right behind that nice looking christmas tree (it really was the old owner's xmas tree that they planted).

I left out the most fun part. MOLES. never had them before but they made tunnels all over the place. My cat killed one of their babies a few weeks ago. Since then i have been marking tunnels with holes but none are repaired so i hope they have moved on.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spray the broadleaf weeds and overseed throughout the Summer then finish it of with a proper renovation this Fall... forget the fertilizer and the Pre-M becuz you got nothing to loose in the scenario except TIME... pre-M will cost you seeding time and fertilizer will only strenthen the weeds and still do nothing for your shaded grass...
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip435 View Post
thanks for the advice. Property is 34,000 sq ft. Appears to have had several large trees removed as there are indents into the lawn the size of tree trunks. There is also a dirt mount in the back about 2" higher than the lawn right behind that nice looking christmas tree (it really was the old owner's xmas tree that they planted).

I left out the most fun part. MOLES. never had them before but they made tunnels all over the place. My cat killed one of their babies a few weeks ago. Since then i have been marking tunnels with holes but none are repaired so i hope they have moved on.

On the moles, I used 12 boxes of Talparid last spring. Talk about a cost. I had 4 large lawns that I managed. Do this: Go to Home Depot and buy the stuff that is about $5 for a cone of bait. DO NOT TOUCH THE BAIT WITH YOUR BARE HANDS. Follow the directions on the cone. You'll need a bunch. Get something like a solid brick or a good size piece of sod from the pond banks to cover the hole. Put about a cap of bait in the hold ALONG WITH A PIECE OF GENERIC EXLAX. I though I would have to hide from the other when I did this and frankly though "What a waste of time". But it worked!!! I used bricks to cover the holes and only had 10-12.
Anyway, it's cheap and did work.
Write me but I'd concentrate on getting rid of the weeds and get a soil sample, start out with a small enough place that you can tend to properly. With that pond and good irrigation from good rotors. Well, you have a lot of work but start managable unless you've got a lot of money to lay out for some of those "SO CALLED" pros. I'd do it myself even if I were a surgeon. A lot of pride in taking care of another child and getting it right.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Mechanical control is the ultimate on moles. You are gonna have to catch them to destroy that issue. Better look into lime and a mower, too. Geese destroy a lawn? I dunno.