Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to understand what the elderly (man) say on phone

It happens often. Old guy calls up & I can barely understand what they are saying on the phone. On two previous callers, I heard the "wife" in the background & I say, "hey let me talk to your wife for a second" lol. Elderly women speak so much clearer! I then explain I couldnt understand what the husband wanted & they understand. Whew. I try to not embarrass the elderly on the phone if I can.

Another old guy calls me this AM. Has me on speaker phone, which makes it harder for me to hear what he says. I ask him to take me off of speaker and he does. Still cannot understand the "street" name & tell him several times. Click, he hangs up on me! On purpose. Sorry old guy If I cannot understand your gargled phone language.

I text him but its a landline number. Oh well. No problem talking in person but on phone, its another language
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Happens to me all the time too. As long as I can get the time and the address, I am set, but sometimes it seems like that is a challenge.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes though, its the phone their using. most older people still have those old phones with the cord attached, and the sound quality is TERRIBLE.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have one customer whos a sweet old lady and Ive been cutting her grass for 6 years. But on the phone she sounds like a man. It took me years and yes I mean years for me to stop calling her "SIR on the phone. Its quite embarissing, but she never said anything about it.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I have one customer whos a sweet old lady and Ive been cutting her grass for 6 years. But on the phone she sounds like a man. It took me years and yes I mean years for me to stop calling her "SIR on the phone. Its quite embarissing, but she never said anything about it.

Yeah, I've said Sir to many women & yes Maam to several men also. What I cannot understand is, The sweetest talking younger women, their voice sounds so beautiful on the phone & I'm thinking they must be gorgeous in person, but are always big fatty women when I meet them. Sounds cruel I guess.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I made the mistake of calling a man ma'am on the phone just the other day, when he answered the door I made it worse I think by telling him that his wife called me to give them an estimate for mowing... He was pretty cool about it and said it was ok, he knew he sounded like a chic on the phone.

As I closed the deal we shook hands....he even shook hands like a chic I thought I was going to break his hand for a split second...
Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
sometimes though, its the phone their using. most older people still have those old phones with the cord attached, and the sound quality is TERRIBLE.
Ha ha, I rather doubt that. Old phones always sounded better than the absolute crap we have today. They had to because people weren't stupid like today and wouldn't put up with poor quality. Likely the problem is with YOUR cell phone.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
Yeah, I've said Sir to many women & yes Maam to several men also. What I cannot understand is, The sweetest talking younger women, their voice sounds so beautiful on the phone & I'm thinking they must be gorgeous in person, but are always big fatty women when I meet them. Sounds cruel I guess.
This is true.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Ha ha, I rather doubt that. Old phones always sounded better than the absolute crap we have today. They had to because people weren't stupid like today and wouldn't put up with poor quality. Likely the problem is with YOUR cell phone.

Nah, The old phones sounded like crap too. Did you ever try to listen to music on one?

You're right about cell phones though. Some are MUCH better than others. My nephew takes his stereo system to competitions. He always stores his music on his phone to play it thru his stereo. He says it has more range than his CD player. He must be right, he's winning competitions.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
Nah, The old phones sounded like crap too. Did you ever try to listen to music on one?

You're right about cell phones though. Some are MUCH better than others. My nephew takes his stereo system to competitions. He always stores his music on his phone to play it thru his stereo. He says it has more range than his CD player. He must be right, he's winning competitions.
While I agree that there are dirt cheap phones available like what's hanging on supermarket walls next to the mops, in both cases (landline and cell) much depends on the service provider. Landline providers have gone to digital and VoIP even for regular calls and that allows them to cram many more calls into the same bandwidth that used to handle one call. So in the name of making more money quality went out the window. Cell service is even poorer for the same reason. That is very evident when you listen to music while on a call like from music on hold. The digital system is designed for voice which is non-continuous or intermittant in nature and that allows them to squeeze other conversations into the spaces between words and when you stop talking. Music is pretty much continuous and the system recognizes music and gives it the lowest priority, interrupting it if necessary depending on voice traffic. That's why it sounds broken up.

Now, playing music from your iPhone from its internal memory is something completely different. The phone part isn't involved at all, the iPhone is a multi-function device and while playing music it's an mp3 player (only iTunes aren't mp3s). To my ears music from an iPhone or iPad sent to a good system sounds very good but there has been a lot of discussion about the "re-mastering" of recordings for iTunes to take into account the amount and type of compression iTunes uses. But technically it can't be as good as a CD because iTunes is compressed to create smaller file sizes.

Last edited by CL&T; 08-08-2013 at 01:56 PM.