Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been there before. I was in the hospital after long hot days for low potassium two times in the past. I've since learned to take care of my self better. When its hot, I drink cold poweraid and I can feel when my body needs me to eat property. I also make sure I eat at least a potato worth of potassium supplying foods each day. For me, eating a bananna at the end of the day is very common. You have to put back what you lose in sweat and you should pee 2 times during your work day.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

man this is not the time of year to be spreading mulch. try to get them to wait until the fall after mowing is done so it's nice and cool.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Me and one other guy worked on a 150sq/ft sidewalk through the worst of the heat.

Kept telling my guy to take a break in the shade whenever he felt he needed too. Also long lunch breaks to help bring the body's core temp down.

Made it through OK, but last night I woke up in the middle of the night and stretched, and most of my lower body went into a cramp. Sucked.... I'm sure I was still partially dehydrated, but I chalked it up to the 7 tons of material we moved and all the bending over laying pavers.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I understand you need to drink water thru the day. Never drinking more than 28 oz. in an hour. Because it can thin the blood.
I seem to have a problem getting that done. By the end of the day my hands are so shriveled I'm loosing my wedding ring. Then I try to rehydrate at home, but it just seems to go right thru. The best thing I've found to rehydrate is eating watermellon. Maybe it's the sugars in it that makes my body retain it better.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you only drink 28oz a hour and you sweat up to a gallon of fluid a hour your going to be near dead by the end of a 12 hour day if not dead. Like I said, I've gone through 6 gallons in 8 hrs and didn't even have enogh left in my system to pee
Old 07-21-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Made it through OK, but last night I woke up in the middle of the night and stretched, and most of my lower body went into a cramp. Sucked....
Yeah, that happens to me too. Funny how nothing happens until that night when you are relaxing or sleeping.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

1 gallon of water = 8.35 lbs. So, drinking 6 gallons is approx 50 lbs of water...fwiw.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
I understand you need to drink water thru the day. Never drinking more than 28 oz. in an hour. Because it can thin the blood.
I seem to have a problem getting that done. By the end of the day my hands are so shriveled I'm loosing my wedding ring. Then I try to rehydrate at home, but it just seems to go right thru. The best thing I've found to rehydrate is eating watermellon. Maybe it's the sugars in it that makes my body retain it better.
fruits are great, pears, plums, peaches, pineapple etc. haven't had watermelon yet but do load up on them after i get done and do quick store run. they do taste great after a long hard day.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
If you only drink 28oz a hour and you sweat up to a gallon of fluid a hour your going to be near dead by the end of a 12 hour day if not dead. Like I said, I've gone through 6 gallons in 8 hrs and didn't even have enogh left in my system to pee
Uhh, That can't be good. Maybe you should check with someone with more expertise than you'll find on Lawnsite. Like maybe your doctor.

I know I'm not drinking enough, but you're drinking way too much.

Like I said, diluting the blood, possibly depleting essential minerals. Blood tests are comparatively cheap.

Remember YOU are the most important component of your business. Would you do something about it if your truck was blowing thru a gallon of oil every day?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ended up getting me and the guys some of those chilly towels or whatever frog togg calls them. Man, it's nice. I sweat by my nature... It can be 20 degrees outside and I touch a shovel and start sweating! I use the gatorade packets because they have the electrolytes in them and not so much sugar, better than the bottles. Keep you some cliff bars or something else too. Just over 8 years ago I ended up having a nice 3 day stay in the hospital because I was stupid enough to think pulling a 14 hour day outside on a 95 degree day was what it took to "prove you're a landscaper"....