Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I ended up getting me and the guys some of those chilly towels or whatever frog togg calls them. Man, it's nice. I sweat by my nature... It can be 20 degrees outside and I touch a shovel and start sweating! I use the gatorade packets because they have the electrolytes in them and not so much sugar, better than the bottles. Keep you some cliff bars or something else too. Just over 8 years ago I ended up having a nice 3 day stay in the hospital because I was stupid enough to think pulling a 14 hour day outside on a 95 degree day was what it took to "prove you're a landscaper"....
I buy a large can of the powder. Much cheaper than the bottles, or the small packets. Then I can mix in as much or little I feel I need.

Remember too, Gatorade has lots of salt in it. If you have high blood pressure, then it's not good for that.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Oh so heat exhaustion, that's what they call this disorder of the cluelessness.
Hey, now i have a doctors excuse for not showing up hahaah

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
Uhh, That can't be good. Maybe you should check with someone with more expertise than you'll find on Lawnsite. Like maybe your doctor.

I know I'm not drinking enough, but you're drinking way too much.

Like I said, diluting the blood, possibly depleting essential minerals. Blood tests are comparatively cheap.

Remember YOU are the most important component of your business. Would you do something about it if your truck was blowing thru a gallon of oil every day?
I wasn't drinking straight water, that would of killed me I bet. I've only had to do that twice. It was around 100 out and I was trimming shrubs all day. My clothes were dripping with sweat literally. I felt fine. The mix I had was for hydration. It was replacing the minerals, salts, and nutrients my body was using up. Yes if drink that much straight water you can get water poisoning
Old 07-23-2013, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I have found that a wet hand towel around my neck really helps.

Sometimes I wear an old lightweight long sleeved dress shirt with the collar turned up. That keeps a lot of sun off my skin. I also like to wear a wide brimmed hat. That way I only need sun block on my face.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
water poisoning
I've never heard that phrase before. That's what I like about Lawnsite. Give an opinion and get an education. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

another american made co. for t's and tank tops, made of the wicking fabrics. have a few of them, i like em, think well made for a good price. here ya go for any interested, cool max granite tank tops, factory store.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cramps got me one evening on the recliner after a long hot day. I got a cramp in my inner thigh and I jumped up out of the chair to straighten my leg and darn if the other leg didn't cramp up too. I was hobbling around the house trying to keep the muscles stretched straight all the time looking like Yosemite Sam. I should have started yelling, "dag nab it varmint" but the humor of the situation didn't dawn on me till later. Dehydration was the cause no doubt. I carry a banana or two in the cooler with my water and eat them throughout the day.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
Cramps got me one evening on the recliner after a long hot day. I got a cramp in my inner thigh and I jumped up out of the chair to straighten my leg and darn if the other leg didn't cramp up too. I was hobbling around the house trying to keep the muscles stretched straight all the time looking like Yosemite Sam. I should have started yelling, "dag nab it varmint" but the humor of the situation didn't dawn on me till later. Dehydration was the cause no doubt. I carry a banana or two in the cooler with my water and eat them throughout the day.
think i had a cramp like that once or twice like that. didn't know what was going on first time but remember dull pain in my leg shot up to almost off the charts.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Next time you think you got a job that is hot think about these boys. It has been over 100F for two weeks. These guys go up at 8:00 and work until 8:00 in the evening. They come off the roof around noon and then back up at 1:00.

Name:  022.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  66.1 KB

And think about the risk no safety devices. They have a 4" thick piece of foam that is about 2ftx2ft. that they stand and sit on. Roofing is going on all over Austin due to recent hail.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Several times in the evening I've felt like I just can't quench my thirst. After 2 cartons of low sodium chicken broth I'm doing fine. Too much Powerade during the day makes my hands fall asleep easily at night.