Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLUS LAWN CARE View Post
I had never realized it until I read through all the information in this post, but you are exactly right. When, I am bidding I try to hit the $50 an hour mark but as I said in a previous post I don't have a system for estimating and what has happened is most of the properties I have bid on take me 2x or 2.5x longer time wise than I had budgeted. Simple mistake, but a very costly one.

For example, I mow a property that is not very big. It is about a 1/4 acre property without a lot of trimming. I bid it for $30 because I thought for sure I could get it done in 45 minutes or less. However, little did I know when I bid it that it is a VERY rough property and I either have to mow really slow or double cut - takes twice as long.
What size of deck you cutting with
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I had never realized it until I read through all the information in this post, but you are exactly right. When, I am bidding I try to hit the $50 an hour mark but as I said in a previous post I don't have a system for estimating and what has happened is most of the properties I have bid on take me 2x or 2.5x longer time wise than I had budgeted. Simple mistake, but a very costly one.

For example, I mow a property that is not very big. It is about a 1/4 acre property without a lot of trimming. I bid it for $30 because I thought for sure I could get it done in 45 minutes or less. However, little did I know when I bid it that it is a VERY rough property and I either have to mow really slow or double cut - takes twice as long.
If you bid at $30 and you think take you 45 mins you already screwed your self $30 job should only take 1-20 mins
Old 07-20-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
What size of deck you cutting with
I cut with a 60" deck

Quote:
If you bid at $30 and you think take you 45 mins you already screwed your self $30 job should only take 1-20 mins
You are pretty much the same area as me so prices shouldn't be that much different. Would you mind sharing how you do your estimating and maybe I can pick up some pointers?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I cut with a 60" deck

You are pretty much the same area as me so prices shouldn't be that much different. Would you mind sharing how you do your estimating and maybe I can pick up some pointers?
Sure you ask away but not in open forum
Old 07-20-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sure you ask away but not in open forum
Thanks, I just sent you a PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For install work, keep it simple and set your hourly rate say 45-55 per man hr then add your material cost and tack 15% on to that, then depending on the feel of the customer you can fudge up or down from there generally up not down. for maint work just keep it at $1/min don't over think it, of course with gas going up that could go up to $1.25/min or more. The property you mentioned should have been bid at 45+ more like $50-$55
Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How many years are you in business?

If you are doing 40 hours of work a week you should be grossing $2,000 a week, 25 week season $50,000.

Points out to what you have realized that you are not charging enough.

If you are getting 50% or more of your bids then your pricing is to low.

So what percentage of bids do you get?

Do you have a minimum price for a mow?

If you do not have a minimum that is one problem if you do have a minimum what is the price?

I get $35 for 1/4 acre or less.

My first two years I was not getting the properties over half acre. My pricing was too high. Readjusted my estimating numbers for properties over half an acre.

First year I did a clean up. Half way through the job I realized that I priced the job for half of what I should of done it for.

I made a deal and honored it.

It was a one time deal.

Now on the other hand if I priced a weekly job at too low of a price I would tell the customer that I underestimated the price for the job.

That I hope they liked the quality of my work but for me to continue the price from now on will have to go up.

I bet your 10 lowest priced customers you are not even breaking even on. So I would hit them up for a price increase.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

APLUS, is lawncare your passion???
Old 07-20-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Yes, I do have a passion for doing lawn care. I love making customer's yards look good. It gives me a sense of pride very few other jobs could.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Good question. But, the one that precedes this one: "Do you want to be a business owner, offering services primarily to residential homeowners?"

If you really like working outside, like cutting grass and other lawn service tasks, but either don't have an interest in being a business owner, or have the aptitude of being a business owner, then you need to reconsider your path.

LS is filled with posts by those who love cutting grass, making straight lines, laying good stripes, but either have no interest or skills in financially managing a business.