Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to use walmart trimmers and it took forever and it sucked. I didn't understand how some companies had more $ in the trimmers that hang from their trailers than I had into my mower. It didn't make sense to me. Now I am the guy with a FS110 and FS90 hanging and I will never use anything less again. maybe other reputable brands, but no more little whizzer 2-strokes or troy built type 4 strokes. I was killing myself too. Don't give up and good for asking for help. I learn something new here everyday myself. Today it was dipping trimmer string in water, I'm going to have to try that one boys. Lol
Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLUS LAWN CARE View Post
Yes, that does help. I normally work on cemeteries from 6:00 A.M. to around noon, and then I mow residentials in the afternoon. It is the only way I can get it done because I am a little overweight and trimming in the heat just about kills me.
How big is this Cemetery or the biggest one you have

A cheap O trimmer will work you to death Do you have a big trimmer
Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
How big is this Cemetery or the biggest one you have

A cheap O trimmer will work you to death Do you have a big trimmer
The biggest cemetery i have is about 8 acres... and about 80 percent of that is full of stones

I have two fs90 stihl trimmers. I cant use cheapos
Old 07-21-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the industry. Good luck! Its going to shorten all of our lives by 10 years or more. My only advice is to keep going when you are making money. Employees are expensive....talk with your accountant before taking on your first full timer.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 07-21-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLUS LAWN CARE View Post
The biggest cemetery i have is about 8 acres... and about 80 percent of that is full of stones

I have two fs90 stihl trimmers. I cant use cheapos
Cool on the FS 90 but then again 90 are little slower
So on the 8 acres by your self you doing it in 5 hrs or less

I use do Cemetery for long time Use to get $75 per acre under 10acres $65 up to 20acres

Then other LCO would bid it cheaper So now I don't have any I'm glad to if I cant make a profit then I don't need the job.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any profit beats no profit at all or going red. They can't be all home-runs and a little security is nice to have for us small timers.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
Any profit beats no profit at all or going red. They can't be all home-runs and a little security is nice to have for us small timers.
Yep you are right
I run a low profit on some jobs I look what I need to invoice each month I don't look at each day
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know some day I will have to take bigger risks, and the cems might be the first to go in order to get better $. I cannot stomach the risk at this point so for me anything beats nothing and my lower paying accts happen to be my most reliable and that has value to me at the level I'm at. I don't want others to do what I am doing if it is a bad thing. My best paying property is for sale right now and that bothers me. It's one of my biggies. I will have a fight coming up sometime on that acct. The new owners always look at outside maintenance cost and go WTF? Why is that so expensive. Every time. That's why I don't work for REALATORS. They have terrible looking accts you have to work your a$$ on to clean up only to loose it to someone else a short time latter. They always have more than you can handle, and always need three bids before they can hire you. Plus they have fake hair and smell funny.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

APLUS:

I'm not from where you are from so I'm sure prices are different but here are a few words of advice,

Raise your minimum to $35. If a customer tries to haggle you down from something so low then there is a chance they're not going to pay you what you are worth. Remember, some lawn care professionals have a $50 minimum...

Aim for $60/hr. if you're using a solid riding mower, travel time included. For technical work involving hedge trimmers etc. this can range from $50-60/hr. for skilled labor. For mechanical labor with hand tools I'd aim for around $40/hr. skilled labor, give or take $5/hr.

Don't be afraid to bid what you're worth. A lot of clientele will try to haggle you down but then again do those kind of people deserve price breaks? Don't reward greed, it's not an admirable quality to possess.

Ditto on contacting SCORE for advice. They're awesome. I know some of the prices I listed may be hard to bump to quickly, especially since I'm sure most of your current clientele are used to the prices that you've given, but just remember that every time you go out there and get paid less than what you're worth that is an injustice against you. One day you will have workers which I hope you'll pay well and you need to prepare yourself now to fight for what you're worth so that you can pay them well.

Keep your head high, you have the right attitude and you love what you do. I've also been in business for about as long as yourself and trust me, I've had some major growing pains along the way. Not saying I'm perfect with the bids now, but just remember that you take pride in your work and the customer should know what they're paying for. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We all need some kind of reassurance and encouragement along the way, it's good to have somewhere to turn once in a while, I think most of us on here really are striving to either build a solid growing business that will give us a decent maybe not super duper but decent lifestyle, it's really all I am striving for. It's at this point in the season that we as a group seem to start "Reevaluating" our business's we're at about mid point and our mistakes are starting to show up in our bottom lines. This is actually a good thing though, we have time to hopefully correct things and hammer out a decent rest of the season. Good luck to everybody and get out there and make what your worth, we all work hard and we should be paid decent money for it, I don't care what the consumer thinks.