Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 07-19-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Brand New Magna Matic 9000 motor shuts off

I just got my new Magna Matic 9000 Sharpening Station and assembled it this morning.. While using it on my second blade the motor shut off.. it over heated. I had to wait 10 mins... It came back to life for approx 12 minutes and shut off again. same cycle over and over again! I changed extension cords.. ( both are 16 gauge.. 1st was 75 feet and second was 50 feet ) I went and purchase a fan to blow directly on it while in operation.. No change. Still overheated.

Has anyone experienced this? Should I go to a 14 gauge or 12 gauge cord?

I really like the cut/angle, but... Whiskey tango Foxtrot.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should go with no cord. I did not open the book but for a 15 amp line #12 50' is about max length # 16 is to small and 75' is to long.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
I think you should go with no cord. I did not open the book but for a 15 amp line #12 50' is about max length # 16 is to small and 75' is to long.
THX Fastlane! Forgive me, I dont have the expertise in electric. So the small line with a long length will cause the electric motor to overheat? Should I give a #12 of 50' length a shot? I am trying to make use of the 800SF space I have with respect to the power outlets.

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassbutler View Post
THX Fastlane! Forgive me, I dont have the expertise in electric. So the small line with a long length will cause the electric motor to overheat? Should I give a #12 of 50' length a shot? I am trying to make use of the 800SF space I have with respect to the power outlets.

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated!
As fastlane suggested, you shouldn't be using any cord! I don't know how much that unit cost ya, but if it were me, I'd run a dedicated circuit/outlet to it. Or have an electrician check out your existing circuits to possibly extend one of em.

But, yeah, if yer gonna use an extension cord, use the shortest one you can get by with in at least 12 ga. 50 feet from an outlet????

......AMF!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thx Big fish.. I have 2 20x40 units.. with the middle wall taken down. The recptacles are near the front roll up doors on each of them. I have the Sharpening station along the back wall. I will try a 12 or 10 ga 50 footer today and give her a shot!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

10 ga 5o footer. Overheats. And shuts down after 29 mind of run time. Restart after 15 mins. Runs for 10 and shuts off.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call MagnaMatic. If there is not enough voltage at the outlet no size cord will help. Remember this is a storage unit. I would take it somewhere else to try it.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
Call MagnaMatic. If there is not enough voltage at the outlet no size cord will help. Remember this is a storage unit. I would take it somewhere else to try it.
One unit has single receptacle (2 outlets ) and appears to be 20A service. Adjoining unit has 2 pair of outlets. Tried all 6 !

Ran it again this afternoon. It ran for 20 mins overheated and shut down.
I took it off of the service station and plugged it in To the receptacle with no extension cord. Shut off again at 5 mins.

Taking it home. I know the service I have. Hopefully it shuts off there. And I can narrow down current draw as the issue and maybe just a defective unit.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Shut down at home after 10 mins of run time. DEFECT! A whole Friday and Saturday wasted!! I got nice new shop fan and nice big ass shop extension cord though. Ughh
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Sponsor

Hello All,

In the industrial motors that we spec for our sharpeners we have a THERMAL CUT-OUT SWTICH in them. This switch will turn the motor off once it reaches 284 degrees F, this prevents someone from overloading the motor and causing permanent damage.

The reasons the motor may turn off soon are as follows:

Faulty thermal cut-out switch.
Low-line-voltage
High ambient temperatures with very heavy load grinding
Overloading the motor (pushing so hard it groans for a long period)

Mid-way during writing this post GRASS BUTLER called me and we discussed the items to check, and then if the line voltage is normal we'll be replacing the motor without question.

As a note, if you have a technical question or issue with our equipment please post in our thread here: http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=37

We get notified more quickly at our forum than in the general areas, or for the quickest response email or call me. We won't leave any customer unsatisfied and take any problem very seriously.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp