Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those who mow what do you hate/like

I don't mow just landscape and do maintenance. What do you like in a yard when you mow (nice straight edges for beds) and hate (small beds all over the yard). When I offer designs to customers I try to think about the overall ease of the design for all, mowing and features the client wants. What do you like or dislike in a yard?
VO
Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those who mow what do you hate/like

One thing I hate is two garden beds separated by grass. What I'm saying is that the mower will always have to blow grass into a bed. And edges are what sets the lawn off

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All I can say is "God bless you".

I wish home builders took the same approach when "leveling" a lot to ready it for being seeded. If they had to mow some of these "humps" and slopes, and crap that they leave behind, they'd think twice about what they were doing, but since mowing the mistake is someone else's headache they don't really care what condition the "surface" is in.

I'd like to kick some of them in the nuts for the nonsense they leave behind that now must be mowed with a push mower because anything else scalps, or misses the grass.

You guys that live in "Flatville" have no idea...
Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

I wish home builders took the same approach when "leveling" a lot to ready it for being seeded. If they had to mow some of these "humps" and slopes, and crap that they leave behind, they'd think twice about what they were doing, but since mowing the mistake is someone else's headache they don't really care what condition the "surface" is in.

I'd like to kick some of them in the nuts for the nonsense they leave behind that now must be mowed with a push mower because anything else scalps, or misses the grass.

Hear, Hear. I want to actually drag one landscaper by his personals for taking a flat lawn and putting all kinds of humps in it. For Heaven's sake, this is a lawn, not one of the surrounds at St Andrew's. A less than flat lawn is a problem when the grass is reel cut zoysia. Some of these landscapes are also the homeowner's fault as well. There are areas that should be planted with shrubs and ground covers. It is not proof of one's manhood to mow a slope that would roll a machine over. I am not impressed. If a lawn is not graded such that it can be cross cut in differing directions, it probably should not be a lawn at all. Lots of people would re think putting grass in many situations if they were the ones having to cut it.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, you guys pretty much summed it up with the bad design topic, But there are a few major things that got left out
Hate = random kids toys in yards
Love = people that pay on time or prepay

Honestly, my biggest complaint with mowing is crap sprinkler work. Like when you step on top of a 3" popup that's 2 1/4" above the soil. Or when there is a 6" wide hole around a sprinkler head and it always seems to line up with a mower tire.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Almost forgot abut the unburied pipe or pop up that is not flush with the soil. This get important when the height of cut is less than 1".

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

Lmao! It's a royal pain in the ars isn't it? Oy, I think this all the time as well.

One thing I can't stand is low lying limbs. If I need to mow under trees it better be taller than the height of me on a rider.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like properties that are too "busy", meaning too many shrubs/beds for the size of the property. As one other poster said, it becomes impossible to avoid blowing clippings up into them.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.