Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

New one-man operation in NW Columbus, OH

Hi there! I've been lurking on this site for the better part of 2013 while I wrote up my business plan, marketing strategy, etc. I just launched my one-man LLC, Liberty Lawnworks LLC, on July 9 (one day after I turned 30). I operate in a 5-mile radius in a few of the townships northwest of Columbus. I am a former Marine, spent some time in the high octane/MBA world as a district manager, and about a year as a police officer before I realized that I would be happiest teaching high school Spanish and running a small one-man lawncare operation. I have several friends who teach with my wife who cut lawns on the side. My aim is to have between 15 and 20 weekly properties. I'm at one weekly $35 customer (that's my minimum) so far just based on my Craig's List ad. I'll be doing door hangers and advertising in a few coffee shop newsletters early next year. I've had several small, but profitable hedge trimming and mulching jobs that I got through referrals from friends who prefer to just mow.

I have a new 18" expanded mesh side 5'x10' Carry-On trailer with a 3500lb. axle and 15" wheels, a new 36" JD WG36A walk-behind with a Velke X2, a Husqvarna 21" trim mower (residential, although it will only see light use around the borders of houses and maybe some smaller ditches), two Husqvarna 223L trimmers, Husqvarna 130BT backpack blower, and Echo HC155 hedge trimmers. I am licensed and have liability insurance of course too. I'm using my 2004 Jetta TDI 5-speed for this year since I'm just getting started, but will be buying a used truck (probably a Tundra) next spring. The TDI has served me for many years pulling jet skis, so I'm sure it will do fine for half of a season doing this.

I'm looking forward to interacting with everybody here and I must say I have learned so much reading all the archived posts!

Marc
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Towing a trailer with a JETTA? NIce.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Congratulations launching your new business. Its a first step that is one of the hardest to do. Keeping your full time job while launching your business is a smart step. It takes dedication and hard work.

I am in the Austin Tree Service industry and 23 years ago, I launched my business that exact same way. Now, we are the largest Tree Service company in Austin, TX!

I wish you the best, sir! May God bless you and your family.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Sponsor

Well when the time comes that you want to start putting out advertising (door hangers, flyers, etc.) check out A'Deas Printing. They've got great specials and are a great company to start filling your advertising needs with because they try to find the best deal for you for fantastic quality. If you want more information go to their website: www.adeasprinting.com
Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man welcome to lawnsite. It seems like you have everything you need to get up and running. I like your little logo. People will remember the bell and mower. May I ask what you did in the Marines?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! Yes, well except for a truck, however the Jetta diesel actually does just fine pulling the small trailer and brakes well also. I will get a used truck next year.

I was a 4341 Combat Correspondent in the Marine Reserves (one Iraq tour in 2005).

I paid a friend to design my logo. I made a few tweaks afterward and added the text. One of the larger townships in my area is Liberty Township (although Ohio has more than 15 Liberty Twps!), so I thought I would tie in the mower and the liberty bell with the geography.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 07-18-2013, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Lawnworks View Post
I'll be doing door hangers and advertising in a few coffee shop newsletters early next year.
Marc, first off, welcome to the site. Second, I'd be careful with putting much money in to those deals. I've not heard of anyone who found it a good use of marketing funds. Myself, I spend approx 20+ hours a week in coffee houses around Columbus and maybe glance at one once a year (and locally-targeted marketing is something I pay quite a bit of attention to).
Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice on that Tony. I bet you service some very nice properties down in UA!

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to lawnsite.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome and congrats on starting! Semper Fi! I was active duty Marine Corps from March 96-Nov. 03. Oh, and there is NO such thing as a former Marine. Once a Marine always a Marine! haha! Just bustin' your chops...
50" Toro zero turn
36" John Deere WB
Husqvarna 22" push mower
Echo trimmers,edger and blower
Other misc rakes, shovels etc.

www.fatzlawncare.com